How are you boosting your single channel amps

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have got a single channel Plexi style amp with no effects loop. I love the Marshall style crunch it gives so I set the amp to this and then use a Klone and peacekeeper to increase the gain.

my question is how are people getting a good solo boost in this type of set up? I have set the peacekeeper with the mids and treble boosted and I'm currently using a suhr koko reloaded in the upper mids boost setting for a solo boost. Both of these have worked pretty well but I was wondering if there where any other methods people use that I could give a try? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HushHush Frets: 21
    guitar volume knob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Set it up for a solo sound and then use an EQ pedal to drop the volume and EQ it for a rhythm sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    Set it up for a solo sound and then use an EQ pedal to drop the volume and EQ it for a rhythm sound.
    This, set up for your max gain/volume then underboost 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    @vasselmeyer @RiftAmps where in the chain would you recommend the EQ be placed? Chain is crybaby - buffer - polytune mini - koko boost - Klone - peacekeeper - TC flashback - amp.

Something like a boss GE7 do the trick? 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    @vasselmeyer @RiftAmps where in the chain would you recommend the EQ be placed? Chain is crybaby - buffer - polytune mini - koko boost - Klone - peacekeeper - TC flashback - amp.

Something like a boss GE7 do the trick? 
    MXR is a much quieter option.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Yep... I loved the GE-7 but it's a bit hissy...
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    Hush said:
    guitar volume knob
    Exactly this. Set up everything as you’d normally do but with the guitar volume on 7 (or whatever number you find best) then you can roll to 10 and flick to the bridge for the solo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited March 2018
    With an Xotic EP Boost or Catalinbread Serrano Picoso.

As others have mentioned a graphic or parametric EQ pedal, Source Audio do a programmable one that could be useful as it stores presets
     https://www.sourceaudio.net/programmable-eq.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Hush said:
    guitar volume knob
    Exactly this. Set up everything as you’d normally do but with the guitar volume on 7 (or whatever number you find best) then you can roll to 10 and flick to the bridge for the solo.
    This depends on the guitar, pickups and wiring you have though. It works fine doing that on my PRS, but it didn’t work on my old SG classic or LP studio
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26955
    I tend to run my single channel set at that sweet spot where clean/chime/crunch meet, then use whatever pedals for gain (typically some combination of Rat, TS and Selah Feather Drive, which is a Marshally-flavoured TS type thing), then put a clean boost between my dirt pedals and amp to give it an extra lift when needed

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I used to do the exact same thing - a Suhr Koko on the mid boost setting and it worked very nicely. I couldn't get on the 'reverse' footswitch action on the Koko so I sold it and used an EP boost with the level pretty high and the low cut switch in. They I used a Klone for a while which to my ears sounded better.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Kebabkid said:
    With an Xotic EP Boost

Wis awarded
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    mostly, I turn the edge of my pick round and attack harder.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Gives a huge volume lift for solos. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Volume pedal! Set high for solos and use the pedal instead of the volume pot to drop down, possibly?
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    I've tried a Boss GE7 and an MXR boost line driver, switching them off, to get the full volume for a solo, But to be honest, the tone you get when the pedals are engaged isn't too great, it acts like a tone sucker. That's why I suggested volume knob on the guitar the old way, that countless old school guitarists have used over the years. As regards myself, I have 4 channel amps to do what i need, we are lucky to have the options these days.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    andy1839 said:
    Friedman BE-OD with the volume knocked back a bit into a JRAD Archer set for mostly clean boost into a Friedman Buxom Betty. 

Having listened to @andy1839 play this little combination of pedals at the Huddersfield jam, he got a monster tone out of them. Needs a cleanish amp that takes pedals well though.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    merlin said:
    Volume pedal! Set high for solos and use the pedal instead of the volume pot to drop down, possibly?
    Used to do that with a 2203 - get the Morley one it's got a minimum volume pot on it - means you dont end up panicing and muting yourself - learn from my mistakes :)

http://www.morleypedals.com/volume-plus/

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    andy1839 said:
    Friedman BE-OD with the volume knocked back a bit into a JRAD Archer set for mostly clean boost into a Friedman Buxom Betty. 

Having listened to @andy1839 play this little combination of pedals at the Huddersfield jam, he got a monster tone out of them. Needs a cleanish amp that takes pedals well though.
    Cheers mate!
    they sound good into the Matchless too, but sound average into the Twin and awful into the Jubilee. 

I think I've just been fortunate to find a few things that work well together. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I'm just using a tubescreamer at the minute - previously a BYOC clone and currently a hardwire CM2. Not 100% convinced on the CM2 yet as it seems to have less of a mid push than a proper TS but might just need to experiment with the eq.

The other guitarist in my old band used an SD1 into his 800 and had no problems getting above my guitar. So long as your main tone isn't too gainy and overly middy I think a TS type pedal works fine to lift it. I never really got on with using the guitar controls it didn't seem to raise the level enough