Pickup soldering

Decided to try my hand at changing pickups for the first time, have soldered jack sockets before so thought I would try on my surf strat.  It started life a squier standard strat and I bought a new loaded pickguard from axes r us with Alnico II pickups.  I kept the squier stuff and have removed the pickups from that and removed the pickups from the pickguard.

I have been temporarily halted as the covers for the new pickups don't fit as they are 52mm and the squier ones are 50mm and I didn't keep the original covers (why is nothing standard on squier standard!)

I noticed the three ground wires were soldered together on the axes r us pot but individually on the squier pot.  Is this just for neatness or does it make any difference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited March 2018
    munckee said:
    Decided to try my hand at changing pickups for the first time, have soldered jack sockets before so thought I would try on my surf strat.  It started life a squier standard strat and I bought a new loaded pickguard from axes r us with Alnico II pickups.  I kept the squier stuff and have removed the pickups from that and removed the pickups from the pickguard.

I have been temporarily halted as the covers for the new pickups don't fit as they are 52mm and the squier ones are 50mm and I didn't keep the original covers (why is nothing standard on squier standard!)

I noticed the three ground wires were soldered together on the axes r us pot but individually on the squier pot.  Is this just for neatness or does it make any difference?
    The practice might come from amp building, where star grounding is important. On guitars, it doesn't make any difference.

It's easier to individually ground wires to pots, and arguably neater to group them together. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom