Fender Champion 600 - advice needed

Having dug this little thing out of the cupboard where it has been stored for ages and played around with it I`m actually really liking it for its simplicity but the speaker is frankly crap and also buzzes badly at some frequencies.

So this had me thinking, firstly I plugged the speaker cone connections onto a Katana speaker and it sounded much better, also noticed there is a jack connection on the champ, which leads me to think there are 2 options either:

1)  Buy a 1 x 12 cab and connect them with amp leads which takes up more space and will be a pain to carry around, or...........

2) Build a 1 x 12 cab that will house the 600 gubbins and have it as a larger amp (which I think is favorite as my tools havent seen the light of day in an age and I miss building stuff since quitting carpentry).

How hard will this be? obviously the woodwork side of it shouldn't be an issue but what about the tolex covering etc? I`m really looking for the tweed look similar to how it is now but on a larger scale.

Is it worth it? Has anyone done this?

Cheers in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    Surely you’d have to cover it in tweed, not tolex? ;)

Didn’t someone on here have two of them built into a v-fronted cab by AF Custom Cabs? 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    I haven't made an enlarged cab but have recovered in tweed and added master volume and switch so can toggle between 5F1 and standard.  I couldn't find an alnico speaker to fit but I have seen videos where people put in an 8 inch speaker by placing it offset towards the bottom corner so I may make (another) new baffle and put the 8 inch in.  With the amendments though to be fair it sounds great.