NCGD - Stephen Hill 1A

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
bought one of these: http://www.stephenhillguitars.com/guitars/concert-1a.html

A very nice luthier-built classical guitar, lattice-braced

It's got amazing harmonic detail, and complex upper harmonics ring on like on a piano
Very impressive

I put carbon strings on yesterday, even more impressive
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    looks well nice 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Happy  NG'sD. But why 2 classicals?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    heh, a fair question
    I always like a few variants for each type of instrument

For this, it wasn't a plan. I have had a few classicals. Years ago I had a Manuel Rodriguez FG classical, and a contrabass classical (an octave below). I sold the contrabass, which I used A-A or B-B, the stretches were too much due to a hand injury, and I didn't like the squeaks and brightness of silver/copper on nylon on a baritone instrument. A friend of a friend sold me a nice classical Alto guitar, which is fun.

Late last year, I realised I wasn't playing the MR. I bought a fusion nylon, planning to sell the MR. It was a lovely guitar, I like the radiused fingerboard, but not the nut width. Also it was intended for stage use rather than un-mic'd, so had X bracing, hence less loud and responsive than I would like, since it was built to reduce feedback. On a whim I bought a Yamaha cutaway classical on special offer, to tune to DADGAD and use with FX.

I thought that was it, but I sold a few guitars after Christmas, so had cash available and bought the Yulong Guo, I'd tried one a couple of years ago, so was happy to buy mail order. Then I started looking more at one-man classical luthiers, and joined a forum. I learned that a few dealers around the UK stocked one-off one-man-workshop type classicals, rather than the factory-built stuff I had seen before. This was a journey I have already been down with acoustics - once I bought better guitars, my playing developed, along with my ears.
    Anyway, a few people say nomex tops are not agreed to be the best option for everyone, so I went to a dealer who had many top-end classicals, and spent 4 hours trying them all. There were a few I expected to like and didn't. The Stephen Hill was my favourite. It is not as loud or responsive as the Yulong, but was easily the loudest, most responsive single-top one I tried. I did a trade-in for my fusion nylon.

My idea is that over time, I will form an opinion on which of these 2 I prefer for what kind of piece, rather than just sticking with the nomex, having never really given a good single-top a chance to develop my playing. I might then put one in a different tuning, I tend to have some guitars dedicated to specific tunings, with custom string gauges (I have acoustics in open G, DADGAD, DGCGCD, and sometimes have them tuned in 5ths or DAAEAE ). At present the cheap Yamaha is allocated to DADGAD. Who knows though? Really some of my guitars are on an extended review for 3 years before they get traded in or kept forever.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Who knows though? Really some of my guitars are on an extended review for 3 years before they get traded in or kept forever.

I know how you feel, when you buy them everything seems right then sometimes you start to find all these "irritations" and before you know it you are looking for something else. If I was a betting man I'd say you'll keep the Stephen Hill though.
    Who knows though? Really some of my guitars are on an extended review for 3 years before they get traded in or kept forever.

I know how you feel, when you buy them everything seems right then sometimes you start to find all these "irritations" and before you know it you are looking for something else. If I was a betting man I'd say you'll keep the Stephen Hill though.
    my guess is that if some top professional players use an instrument (as they do with the 1A), and it suits me the best out of all those I tried, then that's a strong indication of a "keeper" 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    I do have a huge soft spot for decent classical guitars, especially luthier built ones. They're a thing of beauty. The Stephen Hill is a genuinely nice buy. Out of interest, what difference to carbon strings make to standard ones?
    beed84 said:
    I do have a huge soft spot for decent classical guitars, especially luthier built ones. They're a thing of beauty. The Stephen Hill is a genuinely nice buy. Out of interest, what difference to carbon strings make to standard ones?
    much crisper, a brighter tone, and for me a little easier to handle, since they are thinner
    This means they are far more likely to slip out of normal twists and lock-knots, so be very careful - they can wreck your top behind the bridge

I have tried Savarez 540R
    London guitar studio tell me that John Williams uses these, mixed with a set of polished basses from the EJ45LP set