NCGD - Yulong Guo Concert classical guitar Koa & Cedar

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
Just bought one of these
It has a double top, nomex sandwich with very light lattice bracing

this is so loud and so responsive. It does need a slightly different technique to play

It has a sound port facing the player, so you get a better slice of the sound than normal, and can see the bracing as well
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Those double tops are suppose to be really responsive and have great dynamic range. I ve never tried one but its on my to do list.

What's your opinion on the sound port? I m currently having an acoustic made for me and then builder has asked if I want a sound port and I m a bit unsure.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    birdo said:
    Those double tops are suppose to be really responsive and have great dynamic range. I ve never tried one but its on my to do list.

What's your opinion on the sound port? I m currently having an acoustic made for me and then builder has asked if I want a sound port and I m a bit unsure.
    The maker provides a little cover for it - I think intended to provide maximum projection forwards when performing live with no PA

When you cover it, the sound is not as good for the player.

When specifying a port for a new guitar, I guess there is no guarantee that the balance of bass, mid and treble will be just what you want, but it's probably going to OK. I heard that some ports have an adjustable cover built in

I wondered if these adjustable ones could rattle, but I guess the skill of these luthiers would eliminate that risk. Just did a quick search to find some of these:
    https://theartoflutherie.com/guitar-side-sound-ports/

My opinion is that I'd like to have one on my acoustics too. 
    I often play with a wall a few feet in front of me to get some sound back to me. With a port, it's not as necessary

the nomex top is off the scale for responsiveness, my only concern is whether this novelty will wear off. I doubt it.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

I'd like to see it.

You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

what the favourite photo sharing site now? photobucket is out.

Good man.

I've been using Imgur.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    edited March 2018
    birdo said:

I have both lattice topped and traditionallly braced nylon guitars. The lattice tops have a much faster response, are louder, and are much more responsive. Having said all that, their tone is very different to a traditional guitar. I like both. This discussion tends to polarise the classical community, and it can get quite heated, the traditionalists being especially vocal about why traditional bracing is "best". Most have never played a Smallman yet they villify his guitars.

I had a Yulong Guo DT last year that I took in p/ex for a guitar I was selling. The Guo was unmistakably a "modern" sounding instrument. Fast and responsive.

I am not a big fan of soundports at all. Initially, they are very impressive - there's no doubt you "hear more" as a player. One of my nylon guitars has one and over the time I've had the guitar, I've really grown to dislike it. I think they defocus the sound, which radiates from the top but is also coming at you from the side of the guitar. The tone becomes a bit "reverby" and less fundamentally focussed. I think they "blur" the intrinsic tone of the guitar.

However, several people like them. It's easy to experiment - simply shove a sock etc. into the hole and see what you prefer. YMMV. 

• stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    Check this out. This is a good mate of mine who's comparing his Yulong Guo to his Christopher Dean (in his kitchen!). He's a very good player indeed.

edited March 2018
    CHRISB50 said:

I'd like to see it.

You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers. 

Very, very nice. 

Enjoy.