Tone Control Wiring Order

What's Hot
What is the difference in wiring the tone control like:

volume pot -> capacitor -> middle lug of tone pot then the outer lug of the tone pot connected to earth

&

Volume pot -> outside lug of tone pot then the inside lug of tone pot -> capacitor -> 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    None. The order of the components, or which order the terminals are used on the tone control, does not matter.

It's purely convenience, usually determined by the physical size of the cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    None. The order of the components, or which order the terminals are used on the tone control, does not matter.

It's purely convenience, usually determined by the physical size of the cap.
    Thanks for the quick reply!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    thegummy said:
    What is the difference ...
    Using the capacitor as the physical link between the two pots would have saved Leo Fender the cost of a couple of inches of insulated conductor wire in every Telecaster. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Funkfingers said:

Using the capacitor as the physical link between the two pots would have saved Leo Fender the cost of a couple of inches of insulated conductor wire in every Telecaster. 
    It is an odd choice given how much of a penny-pincher he was notorious for being!

Even more so, they could have used the two inches of wire saved (although actually not the same piece, it's the wrong colour) to make the ground wire from the jack reach the volume pot as it should be instead of the tone pot, at no net cost.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson