Jumbo frets on a Les Paul: Advice please

What's Hot
Hey all :)

I’m really getting back into my les Pauls at the moment but I really fancy a refret on one of them with jumbo frets 

My main squeeze is my Fender scalloped Strat as it’s so easy to dig in and hang on to notes especially for lead work

Any suggestions from experience as to what size I should be looking at for a Les Paul?

Thanks  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Strictly personal. I have chode fingers so I like 6105 which are tall but narrow.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 233
    I'd go for Dunlop 6105, tall but narrow as using the bigger 6000/6100 frets can lead to things becoming pretty cramped on the upper frets due to the shorter scale length on the Gibson. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Or look for an ESP EC1000 or something around that range, big fat frets as standard 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go for Dunlop 6105, tall but narrow as using the bigger 6000/6100 frets can lead to things becoming pretty cramped on the upper frets due to the shorter scale length on the Gibson. 
    That’s a good point 
  • Or look for an ESP EC1000 or something around that range, big fat frets as standard 
    I’m not a fan of the ESP gear so would rather upgrade the great guitars that I have here already
  • Or look for an ESP EC1000 or something around that range, big fat frets as standard 
    I’m not a fan of the ESP gear so would rather upgrade the great guitars that I have here already
    If you can play one in a local shop you'd at least know if you liked the fret size.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    My LP has had a refret with 6105 and it's so much better than the standard low square frets and I prefer the fret wire over the binding (no nibs). In fact I am going to get my recently acquired SG refretted with the same wire. 
  • cpfcfancpfcfan Frets: 13
    I have an ESP USA, as seen here https://www.espguitars.com/pages/usa-eclipse and I believe it is the best guitar I currently have. Has extra jumbo frets with some top quality specs. I also have a ESP standard eclipse 1, looks identical to a gibson led Paul albeit thinner, which I would consider my work horse. It was an eBay buy so it wasn't OTT expensive either. Also has extra jumbo frets. No idea how much a refret would cost but I would consider trying out any of the ESP eclipse line to have an idea on what you would prefer.
    More guitars than CPFC won games last season.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31580
    Here's mine with Jescar FW58118 Stainless Steel 3.0mm frets. It's fantastic to play, absolutely effortless and smooth. 

http://i68.tinypic.com/2egduhe.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/3496o1y.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    6150's work for me, but it is a personal thing.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I've got both 6105 and 6000 size wire on my Feline's and I love both - I think the 6000 just wins for me - the 6000 looks about the size of @p90fool 's picture above.
  • I have 6105 on my Ibanez Jem models and I really like those. 

Is the 6100 bigger than the 6105?
  • Need to decide which Les Paul to upgrade. Choice of my BFG or my Joe Perry standard 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31580
    I've got both 6105 and 6000 size wire on my Feline's and I love both - I think the 6000 just wins for me - the 6000 looks about the size of @p90fool 's picture above.
    You're right, Jescar 58118 is the equivalent of Dunlop 6000. They're 0.058" high, 0.118" wide, so their codes make sense. 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    p90fool said:
    You're right, Jescar 58118 is the equivalent of Dunlop 6000. They're 0.058" high, 0.118" wide, so their codes make sense. 
    That makes so much more sense than the dunlop system :)
    I have 6105 on my Ibanez Jem models and I really like those. 

Is the 6100 bigger than the 6105?
    They are the same height the 6100 is wider:

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

Surprisingly you do notice a slight difference between the 6100 and 6105!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Big 6105 fan, perfect balance of height and width for me 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Here's mine with Jescar FW58118 Stainless Steel 3.0mm frets. It's fantastic to play, absolutely effortless and smooth. 

We have a winner . 

I use Dunlop 6000 or Jescar FW58118 when I want a biggest profile fret , and they are my own personal favourites
    The secret is all in the dressing and end of fret dressing to make them not feel awkward to the player.

Yngwie used them AND has scallops!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    I used to mix Dunlop 6100 and 6105
    Fret with the wider 6100 up to fret 15 and then switch to 6105 for the last 6-9* frets (*depending on how many frets the guitar has)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    I have 6100s on my Les Paul.  I also have 6100s on 3 other guitars, 6105s on 2 and 6000s on 1.  I significantly prefer 6100s to 6105s, but I have fairly slender fingers and no issues with space on upper frets using bigger frewire.  I just bought a Tom Anderson shorty with medium (6105s) on it and the jury is out on whether I will refret it with something bigger.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14222
    tFB Trader
    6100 or 6150 for me - 6150 is very close to a PRS