How can I smooth down the covering on my Sheldon amp?

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
I've got a Sheldon TT3 combo that is covered in a plastic leatherette sort of material. Calling it Tolex would be overstating things, I think. It's nothing like as thick or rugged as the covering you get on Orange or Marshall cabs, for example. 

The top covering is coming unglued from the wood underneath, and has a couple of large bubbly areas, 1in x 3in or so. I'd like to get it glued down again and make it look decent. (It was like this when I bought it and the price reflected that at the time. I don't think it has become worse in the time I've had it). 

Anyone got any suggestions? How might I do it myself? If I took it to a professional for an estimate, is there anyone in the Bournemouth area that people would recommend? 

The other possibility is I might just get the amp rehoused and turn it into a head and cab. 

Thoughts gratefully entertained. Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Good contact adhesive wil do the job. For the bubbles you can make a cut with a very sharp knife and then put glue in.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    The glue is usually heat activated, so a blast with a hairdryer to the affected area will reactivate the glue and allow you to stick it back down.

Try a small patch first to see
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    RiftAmps said:
    The glue is usually heat activated, so a blast with a hairdryer to the affected area will reactivate the glue and allow you to stick it back down.

Try a small patch first to see
    Will do. Thanks! I'll report back. 
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Be careful with heat.
    Most vinyls can get very soft and easily damaged when warm. Also any emboss on the surface can be removed.
    If it's a contact adhesive, heat won' help anyway.