SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Jackson Ampworks Britain Mark 1 in Spangly Red Tolex

What's Hot
jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
edited April 2014 in Amps £

Pics here >>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/51479626@N06/sets/72157642683441615/

Bought this off ebay on a whim a while ago, after hearing Robbie Macintosh playing through a similar model. I gigged with it for a while but it's since been replaced with an Egnater Renegade.

It's a British (think Marshally) sound, so don't expect any Fender cleans, even with 6L6s in. There is a fair amount of clean headroom though, and it is incredibly transparent, allowing the tone of whatever guitar you use to come through. I used it with a Tele, through a Barber Direct Drive and probably a Fulltone Fat Boost, and our drummer reckon it was the best rock sound he'd heard me use.

The black thing on the back of the chassis shows the bias current for either of the selected power tubes, and there are adjustment screw for overall bias setting, and per tube tweaking, so it's possible to use any of the larger power tubes in this amp. I have blu-tack on one because the nut (to hold the setting in place) came off. I have a pair of TAD 6L6WGC-STR valves I can put in it, as I borrowed the EL34s for something else. I also borrowed the fuse for something else, but that would obviously go back in if anyone bought it.

It has one EF86 and one 12ax7 preamp tube and it's fitted with what I believe to be a 12" Celestion Blue speaker. Edit: it's actually a Weber speaker.

As you can see in the pics, there are screws on the back, so various combinations of open/half open/closed back can be used. 

The fellow I bought it off paid around $2000 origninally, including the custom made flight case which has his name stencilled on. I never bothered to paint over it. 

The amp is built like a tank, and probably weighs about the same, especially with the flight case. Not ideal if you have a weak back...!

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, it's RED and SPARKLY!!!

Hit me with any questions. I'm open to offers probably in the region of £600. I'm in the far reaches of West Wales. I need to fund a(nother) new amp I just bought....

John

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    That's a VERY good price. back on MR last year iirc there was a mk3 for twice that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited March 2014
    Is this 50W? I can't really find much about the mk1 version. I wouldn't have thought so if there is a Blue in there.

Thanks.
  • davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    Phwoar! That's my undies ruined. I've got a red sparkle Matamp gt40 and a pair of matching cabs ready to pick up. So my appetite for all things glittery has been sated for now. Glwts, not that I think you'll need it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    It's rated at 19w, so not as loud as the 3.0. I couldn't find out much about the Mark 1 either, I think I sent an enquiry to J.A. But didn't hear back.

Lol @ Davedave, if you buy it I'll throw in a spare pair of pants ;-) Enjoy the Matamp!
    @jaytmon If you can find a pair of pants to match the amp then we might be in business.
    And the Matamp most certainly will be enjoyed.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Blimey, I would have though a pair of 6L6 tubes would be higher than 19w.
    Having run it with EL34s and 6L6s, the 6L6s are definitely louder, or at least there was more clean headroom, so it may be running at more than 19 watts, that's just what it says on the front panel. I don't recall it being any louder than my DRRI which is rated at about 22 watts and has 6V6s.
    I believe the EF86 in the preamp stage is pretty low gain tho, so that may have something to do with it.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    pm sent!
    nickb_boy;192472" said:
    pm sent!
    Replied :-)

edited March 2014
    Speaker is a Weber 12a. More pics on Flickr of the insides.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/51479626@N06/sets/72157642683441615/
    Bumpity bump
    Prepared to courier this at cost (approx £50)
    Bumpage for the weekend.

£625 all in, and I'll include a pair of EL34s (I think they're Tung Sol off the top of my head) AND a pair of 6L6s - the TAD ones mentioned above, both matched pairs.

Can't say fairer than that! :-)

Did I mention the glorious sparkly redness...?
    Bump
    I could be tempted with trades, OD pedals mostly, no tubescreamers tho thanks. No more amps either! Possibly a 1x12 or 2x12 cab...
    On hold
    SOLD!!
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Anyone with a Britain 2.0 or 3.0 for sale?
    @zodiac51 worldguitars.co.uk had a 3.0 head in stock last time I looked. Not cheap tho. Or maybe that was a London.... Worth checking out tho.
    Also might be worth starting a new thread WTB ;-)