Nylon String Acoustics - Educate moi!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Not even considered one before but just stumbled across Mac DeMarco playing one on La Blogateque and loved the sound.

Is the tuning the same? What are they like to play open chords with? Do the strings absolutely kill your fingers? How do they compare to steel string acoustics in feel and tone? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    strings are much easier on fingers but they vibrate a lot more, so your finger placement needs to be much better, much more at right angles to the fretboard.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Wait are you talking classical guitars or ones that could pass for steel string acoustics in shape but in fact use nylon?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    carlos said:
    Wait are you talking classical guitars or ones that could pass for steel string acoustics in shape but in fact use nylon?
    The latter. I wouldn't want to play classical. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    A lot of them have very wide necks and flat fingerboards.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Fuengi said:
    carlos said:
    The latter. I wouldn't want to play classical. 
    you mean this?

That's a normal classical. the fingerboard is flat, and the nut is about 52mm wide normally

You can tune them how you want, but standard tuning is the same, acoustics and electrics were derived from them.
    Normal scale length is 650mm

You can buy models intended for non-classical use by acoustic and electric players. They are usually called "fusion", or "crossover" models
    These typically have a radiused fingerboard, and a narrower nut, halfway between normal classical and acoustic widths. They also enable use of your thumb on the bass strings, which is hard or impossible on classicals
    The strings are much easier on the fingers. Some people like to use extra-hard tension strings (2 notches up from standard), to make the feel more like a steel-strung. 
    Trouble is the fusion/crossover models are harder to find, and often cost more

As you can hear from the video, the tone is much mellower than a bright acoustic, more mids and less treble. 
    open chords are ok, but most people fingerpick with nylon, some play solos with a plectrum

I'd recommend you try a cheap used classical, 52mm nut, flat fingerboard like in the video before rejecting the idea completely - they are not that hard to get used to, especially for open-chord work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Yamaha ntx series are great players and a good middle ground
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    nylon strings feel to me like playing on wet rubber bands. I don't mind hearing someone else play a classical guitar competently but I'll stick to steel thank you very much
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    That's a classical guitar in the video. What you do with it, is up to you! Where I'm from, Portugal, classical guitars are the campfire singalong instrument of choice because they're super cheap and easy on the fingers. Willie Nelson plays a classical guitar too for all his country stuff. 

If it makes it easier you can lower the action on a nylon string classical quite a lot before you notice any buzz. They come with a really tall relief, something like 3.5mm at the 12th fret, but even low E can go down to 2.5 with no buzz.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    edited March 2018
    FWIW IMHO the following apply (I play a lot of steel-string and nylon):

1. It's much more difficult to get a good sound out of nylon; the strings don't sustain and the wrong nail angle/attack/shape can sound excruciating.
    2. Because of the above, it's far more rewarding when you get it right on nylon.
    3. Much more variety available in terms of shaping the tone with nylon; it's a more expressive instrument.
    4. The available repetoire is far wider and more interesting for nylon from a musical perspective.
    5. The left hand fingertips hurt less on nylon - steel can be hard work on these, especially when beginning.
    6. Strings last far longer with nylon!

Both are great but very different. Over the years, I've come to prefer nylon but I'm very happy I don't have to make a choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    In addition to the above posts, the necks are wider, and have a very flat radius, but like any guitar, you can adjust and get use to it.  The wider neck allows for more string spacing for the fatter strings and makes it easier(a little) to finger complex chords.  Some flamenco players use a capo at the first or second fret to bring the action down just that little bit so they can play those lightening fast licks.   Flamenco guitars are very similar to classical, the difference being they are made of lighter wood to sound brighter and usually have one or two clear pickguards to protect the wood when they do the percussive tapping.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited March 2018
    there are alternatives Fuengi, I had / have a Spanish made 'classical' but found it 'awkward' in my hands - having played steel strung for many decades - so when I was at the stringed instrument making course I decided to make something - a Flamenco / Latin fusion design.
    It has typical Spanish / Flamenco body size / shape and scale length but with slightly narrower string spacing / f/board width, a very slightly radius to the fingerboard and slow 'C' shaped neck profile. In Euro spruce and Bosnian Maple. A college friend playing it -
    https://flic.kr/p/23m5ptR
    Rodrigo y Gabriela play something similar - now Yamaha but they came to fame playing Frank Tate guitars made in Dublin - and from what I gather Frank had previously done the same course I'd done in Glasgow. 

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    AliGorie said:
    there are alternatives Fuengi, I had / have a Spanish made 'classical' but found it 'awkward' in my hands - having played steel strung for many decades - so when I was at the stringed instrument making course I decided to make something - a Flamenco / Latin fusion design.
    It has typical Spanish / Flamenco body size / shape and scale length but with slightly narrower string spacing / f/board width, a very slightly radius to the fingerboard and slow 'C' shaped neck profile. In Euro spruce and Bosnian Maple. A college friend playing it -
    https://flic.kr/p/23m5ptR
    Rodrigo y Gabriela play something similar - now Yamaha but they came to fame playing Frank Tate guitars made in Dublin - and from what I gather Frank had previously done the same course I'd done in Glasgow. 

That looks great, nice work!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    To add to the mix...  I started as a classical guitarist and didn't touch steel strings until I was 17(ish). Nylon strings are very easy on the fingers, low tension compared to steel and have a greater tonal variety than steel depending on how and where you strike the string. Some things are easier to play and some things harder. It depends. It's different and sounds different - in a good way.

I own a Martin 0-16 New Yorker (a reissue, not a 30s original). It's got a classical neck (wide, flat) on a parlour body. Originally with steel strings. For a change, I tried "silk and steel" strings. They work well. Lower tension, but not as low as nylon, responsive to where and how you use the right hand, less of a change from steel strings for the flattop player and sound nice. I'm keeping them on this for a bit of tonal variety. 
    There's also no or very little fret wear. They'll rust before getting indented. 
    Action is a bit of a red herring. Pick hard tension strings and you can lower the action to less than 2mm on the treble side 12th fret with no buzz. Nothing like an electric but legato isn't that important to this style of playing. Since saddles are cheap you can have a low action one and a higher one too. Loosen strings and you can change it on the fly .
    I disagree that nylon strings are easier on the fingers. I guarantee your fingers will feel bruised after a session on nylon.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    I disagree that nylon strings are easier on the fingers. I guarantee your fingers will feel bruised after a session on nylon.
    I disagree with your disagreement. Nylon is harder to grip strengthwise but won't bite into fingers that haven't got callussed yet. Against a .009 set on a solid body it's hard going, but I think we're comparing w/ steel string acoustics here. A .013 steel set has double the tension of a nylon string set. Yeah, I looked it up.
    @carlos I use 11s on acoustic - 13s would be like steel hawsers. I had way rather play on steel 11s than nylon.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    to be blunt - I'd suggest u'r hands / fingers aren't developed enough if you find nylon strung an effort.
    They may not be for you as fare as feel goes but if u'r 'match fit you should be able to play on them effortlessly for an extended time for practice or performance.
    There is a physicality involved in playing guitar - you have to developer athletic fingers / hands.
    btw I use 13-56 on my guitars + a 12 string.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The Yamaha ntx series are great players and a good middle ground
    +1
    AliGorie said:
    They may not be for you as fare as feel goes but if u'r 'match fit you should be able to play on them effortlessly for an extended time for practice or performance.
    IMO the hardest part for an electric guitar player would be all the work the pinky must do in a classical repertoire.