Best Strings for a Martin D16 GT

TedTed Frets: 126
HI

I wondered if anyone had any opinions on what the best strings are for a Martin Dreadnought.

I am not happy with the strings fitted by the shop in the set up. They sound a bit subdued particularly particularly the B and high E.

Any advice appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I quite liked the martin marquis SP phosphor bronze on my martin dread.  But now I just use elixir nano web PB. Not as zingy as a new set of regular strings but seem to last forever. Not everyone's cup of tea though because of the coating. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    I hate to break it to ya (pun intended)
    ALL 'E' & 'B' guitar strings ARE steel usually with a tin plating.
    Also the 'core' (inner) wire on the warped strings are steel.
    The name of a set applies to the wrap wire (on the wound strings.
    The exceptions are Stainless Steel and possibly Titanium - never had the need to try these out..

I see this misconception on State side forums regularly.
    An alternative 'type' of set May change the balance of sound but you may have to accept the
    fact that the 'sound' is the sound of u'r guitar, other than change nut / bridge saddle material.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited March 2018
    Do you know what gauge they put on? If it’s anything less than mediums (13-56) then try a set of them. Most people who are concerned with maximising the acoustic volume of a dread go for mediums.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I’ve experimented a lot with my D28 over the years and have come to the conclusion that Martin Phospher Bronze Mediums seem to suit it as well as anything.

They're consistent, last reasonably well - and are cheap.