Anyone using a Zoom G5n or Zoom G3Xn for gigging? Your experience and advice sought.

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
Much as I love my Vox Tonelab SE and LE they are big heavy buggers. 

Including the heavy duty power supply the TLSE is around 15 lbs (27.95 x 9.8 x 2.99 footprint in inches) and the TLLE around 10.5lbs (footprint in inches 19.69 x 9.80 x 3.15).

By comparison, the G5n is 8.86" x 17.87" x 2.95" and weighs 7.5lbs, and the G3xn is  7.13" x 12.52" x 2.52", weight 4.06lbs.

The Zoom screens are very small and I'm not sure they can be seen clearly from standing.  The G5n has more features including an extra bank of pedals, a nice effect chain window and adjustable 'boost', 9 effects at once (7 in the 3nx), USB out, 200 patch memory (150 in 3xn - more than enough). 

I don't tend to use a lot of effects and focus more on good amp models, a boost/drive pedal for lead solos, reverb, delay and a modulation effect for some things and occasionally wah. I like being able to use the expression pedal to control volume. 

What I need is:
  1. Good sounding amp/cab models that feel valve-like & not digital
  2. Easy intuitive use - i.e. you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out
  3. Ability to tweak quickly on stage
  4. Quick access with a single pedal press to tuner in any mode
  5. Integrated expression pedal for volume (mainly), wah (occasionally) and adjustable drive/amp gain
I dislike:
  • having to tread on two pedals at once to do anything as it can be awkward live - I had to do that on the G5 (which I sold because its switching options were awful) or 
  • scrolling through long menus to find what I need (although I suspect the latter is something all modern units do so I'll likely just have to get used to it - with the Tonelabs I can just turn a real dial & I'm 'there')
As with all things I realise there's compromise, especially with different gear.  The little G3xn has a lot of appeal weight & size wise. 7 effects in a chain will be plenty, but I suspect the G5n is the better option for gigging for me as it has a dedicated tuner and tap pedal and the additional boost controls - and it's still a lot lighter and smaller than even the TLLE. 

So guys, please share your experiences with both units (good and bad) from perspective of tonal quality (I know Zoom effects are great, its the amp/cab models that I'm particularly interested in) and practicality/ease of use on stage.  

Thanks!  :)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i used the predecessor  Zoom g3 for gigging. I never used the amp models, just the effects on it. Didnt worry about scrolling as i arranged my patches so they were consecutive and easy to change between songs. I dont use it much now as i use the katana effects in much the same way
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Thanks MLC.

Anyone else gig with a Zoom G5n or Zoom G3xn?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Hi @Voxman ;

Did you get a G5N? I'm considering that or the Boss ME-80, but I've been put off the Boss by bad reviews of the overdrive options. Seems that your requirement was very similar to mine. I want something I can set up and home, then easily select the appropriate patch for each song at a gig.

Did this work out for you?
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Voxman ;;;;;;

Did you get a G5N? I'm considering that or the Boss ME-80, but I've been put off the Boss by bad reviews of the overdrive options. Seems that your requirement was very similar to mine. I want something I can set up and home, then easily select the appropriate patch for each song at a gig.

Did this work out for you?
    Spooky! Your timing is impecable & you must be psychic @AustrianJohn!! ;;;; o ... I just found one on EBay this very evening that's only 6 weeks old, never been gigged, & immaculate with all the right manuals, power adapter and the Zoom gig bag!  I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out.  Funnily enough I was actually looking for a G3xn because it was a bit smaller & lighter, but the G5n has better switching options, more memory, a nice extra display, and can have more effects on at the same time and its only 7.5lbs as compared to 4lbs for the G3xn so its still less than half the weight of my TLSE with its Power Supply.   

It was such a good deal that I took a chance on it & even if I hated it I think I could always get back at least what I paid for it. 

Re the ME80 I know that @ICBM swears by it - It's built like a tank of course, and I did like the knobs layout for stomp-box like tweakability...and I really wanted to like it ...but whilst the effects were good, I hated the pre-amps and didn't really take to the distortions - they just sounded and felt way too digital.  For me, it's the amp modelling and distortions that's most important, & it just didn't 'click' with me. To be fair its mainly an MFX unit & not a modelling unit  The other deal breaker was no patch-naming - it just had a number LED - for me that's useless live!

I'll keep you posted re the G5nbut probably won't have a chance to play around with it until the weekend. 
    The G5n came today, haven't even unwrapped it yet, will open over weekend. 
    edited August 2018
    OK, unwrapped my parcel - set up a new thread ;)