Strat pickup recommendations please? Now sorted ordered MOJO 60's!

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
edited April 2018 in Making & Modding
So, somewhere on here I've been looking for a Robert Cray Strat, not cos I particularly like Bob, but because its a hardtail, with a fat neck.......I came very close to buying a new one, but held back, just shy of a grand is a lot of beer tokens.....
I have an Allaprts/MM Vee neck, with a rosewood board, all fret dressed, tunered up and gathering dust,, along with pretty much everything else I need apart from pots, switch and erm a body to build my own.....
So common sense has prevailed and I've ordered a body from Guitarbuild, a hardtail Strat in two piece Korina, why Korina? Why not? And it was only 100 beer tokens.......and lightweight for the ol' back...

So I'm looking for recommendations for pickups?
I'm not overly keen on Bare Knuckle Strat pickups, can't explain what I dont like, I just don't.....I've also tried Iron Gears, which are ok, but just ok....
Ive stuck a set of Fat 50's into a Short Scale Squier Strat (which cost more than the guitar!) but they are reserved for the grandson build, I quite like them but they seem to lack chime and quack, although its a pretty shitty test mule!
I'm looking for classic Strat chime, quack, and sparkle, so suggestions please chaps and chapesses! I don't mind expensive options as long as they deliver the goods......

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Mojo pickups

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/mojo-special-stratocaster/

I'd email him about a custom option toso you can tell him what you are looking for. He will then customise to get you there. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Kleins are very very nice, quite vintage sounding if that's what you are after 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I have a set of mojos - 50s A3 for neck/mid, 60s A5 for the bridge, non rwrp. I'm very happy with the sound of them.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Tonerider Classic Blues every time for me...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I have some Oil City Master wound single coils in my Strat that I’m very happy with :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    I have some Kinman's in my Strats .... noiseless but with vintage charm and quack. A review of some ..

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kinman-impersonator-54

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Seems like a sensible idea, especially when used MIM RCs come up for under £500.

I use and really like Fralin Blues Specials. They are 6.3k in the neck and middle (can be reverse wound) and 7.2K in the bridge and they can come with or without baseplates. They're a little thicker and hotter but I think you'll only notice this with overdrive as clean, they have have plenty of quack and spank. Some single-coils pickups are hard and middly (more SRV). These are much softer and slightly scooped in the mids.

If you can get a set of the MIM RC pickups, they're very good, too.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I have had Rio Grande Midbottom set (2 tallboys and a halfbreed, iirc) in my Strat for about 5 years now and they're great. Quite ballsy when you need it, but still plenty of chime with the right amp & pedal settings. 

The Halfbreed (bridge pickup) has physically wider polepieces, which gives a slightly fatter tone than standard vintage pickups
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Mark Foley - the king of Strat pickups. Not cheap but if they are good enough for Matt Schofield etc. They are definitely good enough for me. 

http://mfguitarproducts.simpl.com/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Mark Foley - the king of Strat pickups. Not cheap but if they are good enough for Matt Schofield etc. They are definitely good enough for me. 

http://mfguitarproducts.simpl.com/
    Wow, he lives about 8 miles away from me and I've never heard of him or his products....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DanDan Frets: 440
    I stopped looking at pickups for my CS strat when I installed a set of mojo 60's.

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/60s-stratocaster/

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    After much umming and aaahing Ive bought a set of MOJO 60's

Thanks for all the replies folks!

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    You won't find much better
  • DanDan Frets: 440
    Good choice. Ive ordered a 2nd set for another strat, they are that good.