0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Entered. :bz

Added to playlist. That makes 8.
    It's not a competition.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited April 2018
    Any production tips would be appreciated guys.
    edited April 2018

Your entry sounds good to me. This is just personal taste but I might have used a tad more reverb/ambience. But not too much because the dry'ish sound suits the style.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Maybe have a bit more spread with the instruments?. It’s all good tho’
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Was there anything that you wanted to achieve with your track but couldn't? 
    Submission deadline is 11:30pm tonight (23rd March 2018).
    It's not a competition.

Your entry sounds good to me. This is just personal taste but I might have used a tad more reverb/ambience. But not too much because the dry'ish sound suits the style.

Yeah I purposely had it dry to get that early Prince feel.

poopot said:
    How do you spread the instruments?  EQ?  

Was there anything that you wanted to achieve with your track but couldn't? 
    To make it sound less demo-ish just.  
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141

+1 on the reverb, a "room" style reverb on a bus with sends from each bus works for me; it adds depth and allows you to push elements back in the mix with the amount you send to the bus. Mix the bus volume into the master so you can feel it rather than hear it - if you mute reverb bus, you'll notice the mix goes flat - that works for me. Could do another guitar part and pan them left and right for width and maybe a bit of delay on the guitar as well?
    @bingefeller - EQ to better separate the instruments and planning the drums, or even stereo/multitracked guitars can help spread the sound asking with reverb. 

For me I'd have liked the bass and drums to stand out more along with the guitar. Nice work though. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited April 2018

poopot said:
    How do you spread the instruments?  EQ?  

You have a full range on the stereo spectrum from hard left through to hard right... pan the instruments so they sit in their own space within the stereo spectrum.

stick some headphones on and listen to a tune you like, listen to where the various instrument are appearing in your head (if that makes sense).

Listen to “bambi” by Prince.

Gtr1 is left of middle

Drums are fairly middle (but each drum has its own space)

Bass is slightly right of middle

Gtr2 is right of middle

Vocs are slightly left

Gtr solo replaces vocs

That’s how I hear it

@bingefeller - EQ to better separate the instruments and planning the drums, or even stereo/multitracked guitars can help spread the sound asking with reverb. 

For me I'd have liked the bass and drums to stand out more along with the guitar. Nice work though. 
    @flying_pie Would that be a case of EQing the drums as one instrument?  Or do you EQ the snare, kick, cymbals all separate?   

IMC1980 said:

+1 on the reverb, a "room" style reverb on a bus with sends from each bus works for me; it adds depth and allows you to push elements back in the mix with the amount you send to the bus. Mix the bus volume into the master so you can feel it rather than hear it - if you mute reverb bus, you'll notice the mix goes flat - that works for me. Could do another guitar part and pan them left and right for width and maybe a bit of delay on the guitar as well?
    Thanks, I think the Logic has a master track setup that I could do that all with.   

@flying_pie Would that be a case of EQing the drums as one instrument?  Or do you EQ the snare, kick, cymbals all separate?   
    I use a simple drum program where the samples are supposedly mix ready and the kit is set up with some panning. I have just been adding a tiny bit of EQ to the whole kit  - I've not yet tried routing kick, snare, cymbals etc to individual tracks which I'm sure would give better results. 
    Entries closed.

It's not a competition.