Mini head GAS - Mesa mini recto , orange dual terror , Marshall mini jubilee ???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Nature_1 said:
    Orange Jim Root Terror.

loud as shit, full tone control and an effects loop.

can only be improved with a clean channel, otherwise a flawless wee amp.
    I always assumed they just had the eq shape control??

The orcker 15 shares a similar feature ste and might be a bit more "me" maybe??

Also I get put off signature stuff just because its signature stuff for some reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Evildurka said:
    Friedman Runt 20 is also a good shout. Has a clean and a dirty channel and can be boosted nicely. The recto is mentally loud not really suited to home use in my opinion and that of my old next door neighbour! Does sound great but when its at some volume, the Friedman is much friendlier in that regard. 
    So the mini recto is a gigging amp then, what about the runt?? Is that a decent gigging amp??
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Mini Rec is fine for home use, its only modern mode that wont work at really low volume. Its true it does sound better the more you wind it up but i use mine at home all the time and it sounds great. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Whilst the Orange Rocker 30 you mentioned in the OP is a great amp, it's not a mini head and is a heavy lump if that is a major consideration. It doesn't have an effects loop either so was tricky to get a solo volume boost on the dirty channel once it was wound up a bit. Great amp though! 
    I've found my Mesa Express 5:25+ head to be a great all-rounder and it's pretty compact and lightweight too. 
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    @nick79 problem for me was I wanted to use the modern mode and it was off and then very much on at 1 on the pot, especially in 25w mode where in my opinion it sounds best. It did sound great though and now I have moved house maybe I could investigate another one 

As regards to gigging a runt I don't know as I don't get chance to gig at the minute due to my work work balance, the irony of being a sound engineer and having a young family!

nick79 said:
    Mini Rec is fine for home use, its only modern mode that wont work at really low volume. Its true it does sound better the more you wind it up but i use mine at home all the time and it sounds great. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    @Evildurka That's very true.. I can usually get vintage mode to sound reasonably like Modern at low volume (or close enough for me, but i'm not recording or anything so close enough is enough) but i can see your point. Modern definitely sounds much better when its cranked up, i rarely have the gain past 12 o clock as its so aggressive.

I have considered a Fryette powerstation to a, get the powersection working at home levels and b, provide a bit more low end oomph at some of our bigger gigs (we dont mic the amps up). But the Fryette would cost me more than the amp did, and i could get a big dual or triple rec for not much more..
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    You might like the DSL20 as well, it's really good through a decent cab - have tried it with H30 and Greenbacks and it's awesome with either.
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    No Cornell mentions? I love my 18/20 and the Plexi 7 was on my list too. @4114Effects mini 5E3 will probably be pretty special too. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Matamp? They’ll built you whatever you like. 
    jmf1928 said:
    No Cornell mentions? I love my 18/20 and the Plexi 7 was on my list too. @4114Effects mini 5E3 will probably be pretty special too. 
    I had a romany and an 18/20 combo many years ago. Greta amps, but I wouldn't have thought I'd get much mor ethan classic rock sounds out of it.  And no solo boost. They do sound great though!!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Did you see the Andertons video with Steve Via, they had a Marshall set up for him and he asked for an Orange. (Maybe his next enforcement not that Carvin are no more)
    Did you see the Andertons video with Steve Via, they had a Marshall set up for him and he asked for an Orange. (Maybe his next enforcement not that Carvin are no more)
    No I didn't see that!! 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Engl ironball does everything on your wanted list and sounds great  Had a few mini heads and for me this is the best one
    this new amp saga is really dragging on ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    Engl ironball does everything on your wanted list and sounds great  Had a few mini heads and for me this is the best one
    this new amp saga is really dragging on ;)
    I'll add that one to the list.
  • DaveMonDaveMon Frets: 26
    Lots of Orange options; the new Brent Hinds Terror, the Rocker 15 terror, Jim Root terror, or the OR15

PRS MT15 or the Peavey 6505 mh?