need recs for simple home recording device

What's Hot
I'm sure this gets asked often, but here we go. I need something I can record simple stuff, mostly just when I'm practising and want to playback whatever it is. I was gonna just get a digitlal dictaphone thing, but some of the reviews say they can clip out or even not record at all at higher frequencies. As I'm gonna be using is to record fiddle playing, it needs to be handle volume changes and higher pitches.
Don't really have a budget, so don't let money worry you, if it's what I need I'll find a way of getting it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6796
    Computer based or portable? Do you need to loop the recording to play back over?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    edited April 2018
    i don't object to computer based, but my laptop is pretty low spec and I'd like it to be as simple as possible (much like me). It doesn't have to be portable, but if it was it'd be useful as I could take it to lessons as well. But if a computer base solution is much cheaper, then I'd look at it.
    EDIT: I don't need the loop, but I could see how that could be useful, lay down a simple backing track to play over kind of thing?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    Get an iRig Pre and a cheap-ish condenser mic, and plug it into your phone.

Ignore the bit that says the iRig Pre only works with iOS - just download an Android audio recorder app if you need it (not the IK Multimedia one, it's shit) and get going.
    <space for hire>
    heh, don't have a smart phone (technically I don't even own a dumb phone, I borrow my wifes pay as you go). 

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    edited April 2018
    Got an iPhone? Music Memo is built into iOS, is pretty decent for quick recordings and extremely easy to use. It's a one-button app with automatic level control. Doesn't clip (within reason, I'm sure you could make it clip if you tried) but you can sometimes hear the limiter catching the signal. An improvement over the Voice Memo app that was aimed more at dictation.

The mics on my iPhone 5 work well enough to capture my acoustic and my mates bat-like frequency mandolin playing together in a room. The phone speakers are pretty crap but you can hear mistakes. Listening to the same recording on headphones is much better. 

Edit: Now I see you answered in the negative to someone else at the same time I was asking the question. Oh well... 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Dude the list is becoming very big lately.....I guess most people will suggest Reaper on PC, Im using Studio One on a Mac mini, one thing is for sure....if you cut corners now and get into recording...you will be upgrading very soon !..

That said...a pretty basic Focusrite / Presonus type interface will keep you going for quite a while...the DAW choice can be very subjective and it will pay to try a few demos first.

Or...the older Boss type workstations can be pretty affordable now...or...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/128419/zoom-r16#latest

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Dude the list is becoming very big lately.....I guess most people will suggest Reaper on PC, Im using Studio One on a Mac mini, one thing is for sure....if you cut corners now and get into recording...you will be upgrading very soon !..

That said...a pretty basic Focusrite / Presonus type interface will keep you going for quite a while...the DAW choice can be very subjective and it will pay to try a few demos first.

so something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T54E2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1522589720&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=interface+focusrite&amp;th=1

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    VimFuego said:
    spark240 said:

so something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T54E2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1522589720&amp;sr=8-2&amp;keywords=interface+focusrite&amp;th=1
    Yep !.....that will keep you busy for a while...what PC/ Mac you got?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited April 2018
    dell laptop, but pretty low spec. Do those things need a high spec machine or will it run ok on anything? I am planning on upgrading, but was gonna upgrade to a gaming desk top, and use the laptop as a recording machine.

EDIT: yeah, just saw the presonus one, that looks better to me (well, cheaper anyways, which is kinda the same as being better).

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Recording audio to a PC uses very little power. Old people like me started recording professionally with machines like Pentium 133Mhz with 8Mb of ram

Processing audio with reverb \ tuning \ modulation plugins can take a lot of power
    Using virtual instruments can use a lot of processing power

But using a PC just to capture raw wav audio - even multitrack uses very litttle processing power

Would not a Zoom H4 do the job ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    the zoom looks good as well, I do quite like the idea of something like that.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6796
    I have a H4, it’s good for recording, but not so easy to find a section in something already recorded. I’m still not sure what theOP wants to do with the recordings- save for posterity, quickly find and review parts of a 30 minute session, record 30 secs and listen back immediately then delete it.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mostly 3 and some of 2. Initially not 1, but mebbe in the future. 

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'm fairly competent at recording with an interface but even then I find it to be quite a faff to set up the stand and mics, turn on the computer, load up the DAW and only then start recording. I would not recommend it for quick and simple recordings. Something like the zoom H1 would work alot better for what you want I believe. Its basically a digital dictaphone with two high quality condenser microphones for recording music. 
    @Branshen that looks just the ticket, thanks.

and thanks everyone else, mucho appreciated. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'd back @Branshen .. I have a Zoom H2 (I think that's the model) and I use it to record my acoustic guitars. I've seen people do fiddle playing and a mate records himself playing an accordion. It's a piece of piss to use and you can download the recorded file to your PC. You don't need a high spec.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    yup fret, that h2 recorded much better, the iphone was struggling. 

• Tascam DP-004 or 006. Battery powered simpleness