I'd like an acoustic that stops me picking up my electrics

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
I've never found an acoustic that hits the spot in the way my favourite electrics do. This means that, even though I try and leave an acoustic out to grab and noodle as and when, I tend to just strum an unplugged electric more often than not and it's not a good habit.

What should I be looking out for? I'd like something:
-Small body
-small neck with a narrow nut (41mm or less would be ideal)
-less than £300
-slightly esoteric like a lawsuit or old European brand

I'm not bothered about whether it's a flat top, resonator, archtop, nylon strung as long as it makes me want to play

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Beyond your budget - though shouldn’t be too far off if bought used - the obvious answer is a Taylor GS Mini.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    An used Faith guitar?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    not your budget, but Epiphone Masterbilt Century archtop. Try the Zenith. 'kin excellent - will stop you playing electric!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Beyond your budget - though shouldn’t be too far off if bought used - the obvious answer is a Taylor GS Mini.
    I've seen these recommended here and there but I'm yet to bump into one. Need to get off my butt and into a music shop.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

another vote for Taylor GS mini here , since I got mine it's my go to guitar .

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    An ibanez ep9 euphoria. Mine plays like an electric virtually. 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Taylor GS Mini hands down, big sound for such a small guitar.

Get off your lazy ass boy and try one out! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited April 2018
    GS mini's may be fine guitars but they find their way into the classifieds with alarming regularity.
    My suggestion is to buy a Martin D28, bask in the rich expansive sound and realise it's there without fiddling with tone controls, pedal boards or assorted other settings, all you have
    to do is pick it up and play it : >

GS mini's may be fine guitars but they find their way into the classifieds with alarming regularity.
    My suggestion is to buy a Martin D28, bask in the rich expansive sound and realise it's there without fiddling with tone controls, pedal boards or assorted other settings, all you after to do is pick it up and play it : >
    nice guitars but a bit outside his budget, methinketh
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    Up until last year i just didn't do acoustics. I tried a few over the years and had a GS mini that was sold on after the novelty wore off. I now have a Gibson J35 that i just cant put down. Way over budget but perhaps a used epiphone would be worth trying.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    I don't want to sound a total cock but it might be hard to find an acoustic that stops you picking up your electrics with a budget of £300. That sort of budget goes a lot further for an electric than it will for an acoustic. You're not relying on pickups, effects etc.; you're dependent on the quality of the wood, how lightly it's been built, and how it resonates to get you the compexity of tone/overtones etc. that stop you putting it down. New, that's hard at 300, where the guitars are being chucked out of factories.

I'd had loads of cheaper acoustics over the years (nylon and steel string) but kept going back to my electrics until I got a really good acoustic (a Lowden). That was transformative for me - I stopped playing electric pretty much overnight.

A really good acoustic is a thing of great, great beauty. Even if you don't have the budget for one at the moment, try a few just so you know what you're shooting for. There can be some great used bargains out there, especially in this climate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    You might have a hard time finding an acoustic with 41mm nut.

How about a Gretsch Jim Dandy? Not the best strummer, more suited to blues noodling but under £200.

Sigma do some good value 000 and parlours. The 000m hog top is a great sofa guitar.
    Kilgore said:

How about a Gretsch Jim Dandy? Not the best strummer, more suited to blues noodling but under £200.

Sigma do some good value 000 and parlours. The 000m hog top is a great sofa guitar.
    You could do a lot worse than a Jim Dandy, especially if on a tight budget. They sound a lot better than the price tag says they should and they handle reasonably well. I have one. If there are any reservations they are in the intonation dept. You'll need new strings and a good setup job from a tech that knows what (s)he's doing.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    A second hand Breedlove might fit your bill. Narrower necks than some,  quite like an electric. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    My suggestion is to buy a Martin D28, bask in the rich expansive sound and realise it's there without fiddling with tone controls, pedal boards or assorted other settings, all you after to do is pick it up and play it : >
    nice guitars but a bit outside his budget, methinketh
    Perhaps, he should buy my LL6 in the classifieds then ☺
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I'm not someone who fusses around the sound of acoustics because I only play them in the house, so my focus is on comfort and affordability. 
    Kilgore said:
    I could probably manage a 43mm but the reason I thought an MIJ/lawsuit brand might be appropriate is that japanese guitars tend to be made with smaller necks (from my experience with MIJ vs MIM/A Fender types). 
  • Sigma is definitely worth a look at with your budget.Many models to choose from and nice for the money.Good Luck.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    Reidys in Blackburn had a used SIGMA 00R-28VS for £340... it was a really nice guitar, I nearly had it: )
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    GS mini. Really fun, confortable and not overwhelmingly loud. I play mine more than my Gibson.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    GS mini was a game changer for me too:  it's physically so pick-up-able. 
    That meant I actually played it rather than looked at it.
    Which meant that I started playing material which was "acoustic" rather than electric noodlings played on an acoustic.
    Which meant that I eventually went and got a nice nylon acoustic and that's my go-to guitar these days.