Recommend me a reverb.

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

My Cornford Roadhouse 30 has no built-in reverb. I've been using a Behringer unit, but it's pretty crappy, noisy, and I really could do with a better quality one. I don't want to pay silly money as I rarely gig these days, so what would you recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    What reverb do you want? The TC Hall of Fame is one I've always liked. It's simple, you can tweak it if you really want, and it sounds good. 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The HOF’s work well. I also liked the Digitech Polara... can be had pretty cheap secondhand.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2018
    My Cornford Roadhouse is partial to either my Rowin Tape Echo or my Mosky Sprrig Reverb - -my Tweed Deluxe even moreso!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It's fast becoming my reflex answer to questions like this, but a Line 6 M5 will set you back about  £60 used and does pretty good reverbs, delays and modulations. Shouldn't be too difficult to move on if it doesn't work out either.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3821
    Someone's got a Dr Scientist mini verb in the classifieds. They've got a very good reputation 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3821
    Catalinbread Talisman for me
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Yeah, I've got the mini reverberator for sale. It's great, lots of options. Kind of like a more advanced version of the Polara in a way.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    +1 for the Talisman, it's the only reverb I've use for years. This demo might make your mind up.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3188
    Zoolooter said:
    +1 for the Talisman, it's the only reverb I've use for years. This demo might make your mind up.

Thanks for sharing these, I was really quite happy with my frv-1, now I want one of these as well! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Digitech Polara all the way. My Cornfords love it
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Ive got a polara i can sell for £80 delivered.  Sure i have the box as well.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Biyang Tri-Verb. You'll find one on eBay for £40 approx new. Excellent quality build and sounds.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    +1 for the Polara. Great unit for the price. Beats my previous HOF which anyway died just outside the warranty period :(
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9515
    edited April 2018
    I reckon Ive tried em all, at the very least most of the ‘players’...

The 3 best, in price order, are imho;

1.  Big Sky - does everything well

2.  Talisman - warm and musical, works v well with overdrives

3.  Polara - stupid cheap, and sounds very much like the Big Sky

I currently own the Big Sky and Talisman
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Does it have an effects loop? If you're using any decent amount of preamp gain a reverb pedal in front of the amp is going to sound... different. 

It's fast becoming my reflex answer to questions like this, but a Line 6 M5 will set you back about  £60 used and does pretty good reverbs, delays and modulations. Shouldn't be too difficult to move on if it doesn't work out either.

I do use a fair bit of gain, so I get what you're saying. I did check out the Polara, but felt queasy just looking at it!

@thomasw88, I have to check out the amp's effects loop first, but I may get back to you on that one.

• Neunaber Wet two knob version... best reverb I’ve owned... piece of pee to dial in 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7827
    edited April 2018
    HOF 2 is decent and flexible Reverb. Mesh works well too. The models have been tweaked since the original HOF, so sounds better, plus more Toneprints. 

My favourite is the MXR M300, it’s a fantastic Reverb. I much preceded it to the Polara, which did nothing for me. 

Marlin
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Polara incredible value for money.  Strymon Flint is amazing all be it pricey but you do get bloody good tremolo's thrown in.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    If they changed the Polara graphics.......