John Mayer? I don't get it.

What's Hot
John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.

He gets some great Strat tones, has some really nice gear and plays some softish bluesy stuff but his songs and singing don't seem to be particularly exciting and I don't see much fire, grit or passion.

Am I missing something? I have his Continuum album but the songs seem pretty middle of the road and tame.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Try playing any of his tunes, video the results and post them here.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • 12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    octatonic said:
    Why on earth would I want to do that?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    octatonic said:
    I'm not sure that's a fair point - I never 'got' Yngwie Malmsteen.  That's not to say I didn't appreciate the complexity of what he was doing, he just bored me witless whereas I could listen to Paul Gilbert fretwank on for hours.

The chances of me being able to copy either are fairly slim.

FWIW I don't much care for John Mayer - no negativity towards the man, I just can't get into his stuff.  Maybe I need to try again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're after fire, grit, and passion, are you sure you're listening to the right genre?  The Continuum album is a pop album with guitars.  I like it personally, but it's not full of fire and grit...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    octatonic said:
    I'm not sure that's a fair point - I never 'got' Yngwie Malmsteen.  That's not to say I didn't appreciate the complexity of what he was doing, he just bored me witless whereas I could listen to Paul Gilbert fretwank on for hours.

FWIW I don't much care for John Mayer - no negativity towards the man, I just can't get into his stuff.  Maybe I need to try again.
    I’m not really trying to be fair....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    If you're after fire, grit, and passion, are you sure you're listening to the right genre?  The Continuum album is a pop album with guitars.  I like it personally, but it's not full of fire and grit...
    Is that a bit of rhyming slang at the end? ;)

Seriously though, I think that sums it up for me.  Wrong genre.

It took me years to work out why I no longer liked Radio 1 - the station didn't change, I got older :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    The John Mayer Trio does show a bit of grit and why he is considered a great player.
    He is guitar pop and American girls get wet for him. The production and musicians on his albums are top draw.
    He's a bit like Clapton/Chris Rea/Dire Staights/Phil Collins in the 80s. Modern pop you mum can listen to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Am I missing something? I have his Continuum album but the songs seem pretty middle of the road and tame.

I agree with you.  He's obviously talented, a fair number of people like what he does but that doesn't mean you're missing anything if it's not for you.

I can't play any of his tunes either.  Obviously.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.

He gets some great Strat tones, has some really nice gear and plays some softish bluesy stuff but his songs and singing don't seem to be particularly exciting and I don't see much fire, grit or passion.

You need a vagina to appreciate his music.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    octatonic said:
    randella said:
    octatonic said:

Dare we assume you like John Mayer then?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    randella said:
    octatonic said:

Dare we assume you like John Mayer then?
    Not especially actually.
    I can appreciate his ability but I don’t regularly listen to him.
    I only have Continuum.

I’m more interested in guys like Landau and Robbin Ford.
    That should be Robben Ford- predictive text.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I'm with @RandallFlagg on this - I never listened to Mayer but from the hype he seems to get from EVERYWHERE I just assumed that he was some sort of mindblowing modern day SRV - I just don't get it. Sure it's great pop music but I don't get the Mayer hype and I don't listen to pop. There are great pop music guitarists everywhere - Mark Pellizzer of Magic is a sensational guitar player, but its not the type of music that produces guitar heroes... I suppose the question is how has Mayer done it? Nobody is doubting his talent but it is hidden behind the mainstream, hidden in plain sight.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

Initially he appealed mostly to a female audience- he bolted the guitar nerd stuff on later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think I'm with @RandallFlagg on this - I never listened to Mayer but from the hype he seems to get from EVERYWHERE I just assumed that he was some sort of mindblowing modern day SRV - I just don't get it. Sure it's great pop music but I don't get the Mayer hype and I don't listen to pop. There are great pop music guitarists everywhere - Mark Pellizzer of Magic is a sensational guitar player, but its not the type of music that produces guitar heroes... I suppose the question is how has Mayer done it? Nobody is doubting his talent but it is hidden behind the mainstream, hidden in plain sight.
    We get intermittent John Mayer Discussions on here so ya da ya da ya da but that may be the first mention of Mark Pellizzer I've ever seen on here. I really like Magic and his playing, I was quite shocked when I discovered a band I liked had a massive international hit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    If we all liked the same things, life would be boring....

I like Mayer, particularly his “Where the light is” live album. That is quality and more raw than  his admittedly (over?) produced studio albums.
  • I think I'm with @RandallFlagg on this - I never listened to Mayer but from the hype he seems to get from EVERYWHERE I just assumed that he was some sort of mindblowing modern day SRV - I just don't get it. Sure it's great pop music but I don't get the Mayer hype and I don't listen to pop. There are great pop music guitarists everywhere - Mark Pellizzer of Magic is a sensational guitar player, but its not the type of music that produces guitar heroes... I suppose the question is how has Mayer done it? Nobody is doubting his talent but it is hidden behind the mainstream, hidden in plain sight.
    We get intermittent John Mayer Discussions on here so ya da ya da ya da but that may be the first mention of Mark Pellizzer I've ever seen on here. I really like Magic and his playing, I was quite shocked when I discovered a band I liked had a massive international hit. 
    I got dragged to see Maroon 5 by an ex and Magic supported them - I was blown away by Pellizzer and said to my ex that if we were in the 80s this guy would be huge...

Maroon 5 were also awesome though, so I ate a large helping of humble pie that day and both bands are two of the best I've seen live to date.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537

He's a phenomenal player - and the rare type that doesn't seem to need to show it at every available opportunity, so an album of his might only have a few perceived magic guitar moments but he has a restraint and subtlety running throughout that is a rare commodity. I do agree that sometimes I wish he'd just cut loose a little and his song writing has got worse, not better, over the last few albums IMO, but he is of the upper tier of players who just "gets it" IMO, along with the likes of Ford and Landau as octatonic mentions.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I like a lot of his stuff, and I have no desire for him to put his willy anywhere near me.

Continuum is a really good guitar based commercial album, the live stuff with the Trio is brilliant, in fact the "Where the light is" CD/DVD is by far my favorite release of this (apart from the talkie but in the Hendrix cover which is laughable).

I like the couple of albums after that where he went more acoustic/singer songwritter/americana....and "Walt Grace Submarine Test" is a brilliant song.

I've not got the latest stuff, and he can appear incredibly smug via his online personna....and I don't care for the PRS Strat...but I'm not going to get annoyed about it.