John Mayer? I don't get it.

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2018
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.
    Has music been taken over by a random assortment of internet personalities? I remember a time when the music and the equipment they used spoke for itself.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132

He's a bit like Clapton/Chris Rea/Dire Straits/Phil Collins in the 80s. Modern pop you mum can listen to.

This is a fair comparison- Chris Rea is pretty close in terms of being a pop songwriter who can rip out some tasty blues when the need arises, only the need doesn't arise all that often. 

What excites you in music is what excites you- if John Mayer doesn't, that's fine. One man's "grit, fire and passion" is another man's "pipe, slippers and Horlicks".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Have to confess i dont know much at all about him, isnt he like the Kenny G of guitar or summat?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    isnt he like the Kenny G of guitar or summat?
    No. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I’m gay for Mayer. Not ashamed to admit it. 

I like his playing, I like his phrasing when he’s really going for it, and love his tone. 

#G4M 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited April 2018
    He’s the reason I ever picked up a guitar so my opinion is clearly biased. I can appreciate why he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I can’t agree with the ‘lack of passion/desire/grit’ comment. He clearly has an immense passion and desire for what he does.

For me the ‘where the light is’ DVD really sHowcases him at his best (especially the JM Trio stuff). I almost never listen to any studio version of anything on that because he’s so much better in a live environment. 
  • I can honestly say I've never knowingly heard a single thing he's done. Does that make me a bad person? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Great voice, quality songs and he’s a very, very good guitarist who can cover a lot of different styles. He comes across as pretty arrogant at times, which has got him a bad rep in some quarters, but if you’re that good and you’ve shagged Jennifer Anniston then I suppose you’re entitled to be.

As Oct says, try to play something like this while singing as well (and doing it all really well) and you soon realise just how good he is. 
    https://youtu.be/_DfQC5qHhbo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    This always makes me chuckle too

https://youtu.be/JYLow0MWRaI
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, his playing bores me no end. I remember trying Continuum and thinking "what a load of shit" about half way through. I think I had the same response to a Trio one. Anyway, I've just watched a couple of YouTube clips curious as to whether or not my opinion would change. Suffice to say, it didn't.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    The John Mayer Trio does show a bit of grit and why he is considered a great player.
    He is guitar pop and American girls get wet for him. The production and musicians on his albums are top draw.
    He's a bit like Clapton/Chris Rea/Dire Staights/Phil Collins in the 80s. Modern pop you mum can listen to.
    I'd wager a ten-gallon hat that far more men end up moist than the girls do. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    I can honestly say I've never knowingly heard a single thing he's done. Does that make me a bad person? 
    No but your ears should be allowed to choose the numbers for the next Euromillions. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I've just listened to the "Where the light is"thing on Spotify and I think I shall say my usual diplomatic response of... I don't think I'm the target audience :) we used to have music that played in the "waiting room" for a conference call number at the last pace that I worked which it reminded me of a lot. Inoffensive, decent playing, if a bit safe, and with no real message to convey (authentic or manufactured) except "I can sing nicely and play well". But that's only a problem if your tastes don't like that so fair play to him and those that do like it.

But as not_the_DJ said... What the hell is that talking on Bold As Love?! Does he actually talk like that or was he trying to put on a Hendrix voice for the last word in each sentence?

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    I like the more restrained Paradise Valley album.  I think he's pretty cool, was a teen heartthrob and like Alana Morrisette - went on to do what moves him. Good for him, and he gets lots of hot women hitting on him (the git :) )

He's not my fave, but I do listen from time to time.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I can honestly say I've never knowingly heard a single thing he's done. Does that make me a bad person? 
    That makes two of us. :/
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    That makes two of us. :/
    Look up about his affair with Eggwina Currie in the 80s
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

But as not_the_DJ said... What the hell is that talking on Bold As Love?! Does he actually talk like that or was he trying to put on a Hendrix voice for the last word in each sentence?

I think (hope!) it’s supposed to be a put on stoned voice, to go with the general Hendrix hippy vibe of the song. But yeah, it really ruins a good album. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.
    The Captain is obviously bending over backwards to avoid accusations of anti-Semitism. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397

I think he is an exception guitarist but it's not so obvious why at first. Some of the chuck and pluck stuff is pretty dam hard to do but then he goes and sings over the top with different phrasing and makes it look effortless . I think he is certainly one of the best at holding a beat on a guitar while riffing and solo'ing. His voicing is great too, big hands and stretch's with thumb over the top

I've watched a lot of his Instagram \ periscope videos where he shows us how he does it .... I've learnt a lot from that so fair play to him for taking the time to do it.  Check this out 

Songwise as other have said live is always better. Listen to Gravity, heart of life, slow dancing in a burning room on the Where The Light is DVD
    www.2020studios.co.uk