John Mayer? I don't get it.

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    John Mayer? Never heard of him.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    When I saw him at Wembley in 2013, right before my Honeymoon, he played this during the encore (I think) with a resonator, sat on a chair, and it was absolutely incredible. One of my favourite ever moments at a gig. 

west said:

Dying is a massive fear of mine, and sends me into legitimate panic attacks - this song has helped me through some tough times.

Oh, I like John Mayer. His newest stuff doesn't do much for me, but he's one of my favourite artists. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    Jalapeno said:
    octatonic said:
    Try playing any of his tunes, video the results and post them here.
    WTF?!??!?!?
    Seems reasonable to try same tack with Ed Sheeran detractors too ;)

Or Les Dawson

At the risk of sounding like I didn't get the joke, it does highlight the fact that Dawson was clearly a very talented pianist to be able to do what he did so effortlessly.

Was it "good music"? It was the music he wanted to make.

Kilgore said:
    Don't know if I've ever heard any of his stuff. I was under the impression he's a sort of sexy Joe Bonamassa.

I don't listen to Bonamassa either, so I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

I assume that I've got it wrong.

For people who do know a little about both players, it's interesting to note the parallels- both the same age, both attracted to blues music at a young age, both steeped in historical appreciation of the blues, with a collector mindset and a love-hate response from the online guitar community.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    edited April 2018
    JM is a very good guitarist
    I'd put him in that category of tasteful players who could easily get "2nd guitar" gigs on big-guitarist tours (like Robbie McIntosh)

Quite a few of his songs are exceptionally good, quite a lot sound a bit dull to me, Continuum was his peak I think.

Almost all of my favourite guitarists write few, if any, good songs, so he does a lot better at that than most players
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Jalapeno said:
    octatonic said:
    WTF?!??!?!?

Or Les Dawson

At the risk of sounding like I didn't get the joke, it does highlight the fact that Dawson was clearly a very talented pianist to be able to do what he did so effortlessly.

Kilgore said:
    Don't know if I've ever heard any of his stuff. I was under the impression he's a sort of sexy Joe Bonamassa.

I don't listen to Bonamassa either, so I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

For people who do know a little about both players, it's interesting to note the parallels- both the same age, both attracted to blues music at a young age, both steeped in historical appreciation of the blues, with a collector mindset and a love-hate response from the online guitar community.
    And the thing separating them is the great songs with guitar playing vs hotshot guitar player who sings a bit.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kilgore said:

And the thing separating them is the great songs with guitar playing vs hotshot guitar player who sings a bit.

Yep.

That said, I'm not sure "sexy Joe Bonamassa" is all that far from the mark though- Mayer definitely trades on his good looks and his sensitive-soul introspective songwriting, and seems to revel less in his nerdiness about guitars (and watches. And endorsements) than JB does. 

• Jalapeno said:
    octatonic said:
    WTF?!??!?!?

Or Les Dawson

Kilgore said:

Technically complexity is certainly no mark of quality (often the opposite)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.

He gets some great Strat tones, has some really nice gear and plays some softish bluesy stuff but his songs and singing don't seem to be particularly exciting and I don't see much fire, grit or passion.

Am I missing something? I have his Continuum album but the songs seem pretty middle of the road and tame.

I totally agree. Seems like a nice guy but apart from Slow Dancing in a Burning Room and Heartbreak Warfare I’m not a fan and I really don’t understand the buzz. Then again, I could say the same for U2.. I like 2, maybe 3 songs. 

We've all got our own taste I guess. Maybe I’ve not heard all that Mayer has to offer so my opinion could be slightly skewed.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited April 2018
    He played Magnolia on EC’s tribute to JJ Cale album. EC said in an interview that Mayer’s reading of the song was very sensitive and that he’s a ‘master guitarist’. I’ll admit it is a good performance (of probably my least favourite JJ Cale song) but I’ve yet to see - or hear - anything that really makes an impression on me.

What I want from a guitar player, is that indefinable quality that makes the hairs on your arms stand up. The players who affect me as a listener usually have an ‘off the cuff’ sense of phrasing - Mayer’s playing always seems the opposite to me - very considered, as though he carefully thinks about what he’s going to play. It lacks spontaneity, based on what I’ve heard. And his SRV influence is a bit obvious too, for my liking.

He might capture some of SRV’s style - but he misses his soul by a mile.  
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    I could start a “Heavy Metal. I don’t get it” thread, but what’s the point? People like different things and I happily accept that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I could start a “Heavy Metal. I don’t get it” thread, but what’s the point? People like different things and I happily accept that.
    Wis’d :)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Is discussion not allowed then? Are we not allowed to ask people why they like something, or see if there is a gem of a record that shines the spotlight on an artist that maybe we missed. So much of what is posted on here is just a discussion on personal opinion. Remove that and there is not much forum left.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Is discussion not allowed then? Are we not allowed to ask people why they like something, or see if there is a gem of a record that shines the spotlight on an artist that maybe we missed. So much of what is posted on here is just a discussion on personal opinion. Remove that and there is not much forum left.
    Of course there is, but all this thread does is highlight the fact that some people like something, some don’t. I think what @Majorscale was getting at is that it doesn’t matter what the subject matter is, it will always be the same....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    PC_Dave said:
    Of course there is, but all this thread does is highlight the fact that some people like something, some don’t. I think what @Majorscale was getting at is that it doesn’t matter what the subject matter is, it will always be the same....
    He's also effectively derailed the discussion. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.
    I reckon if it came down to it, and Mayer was like "OK Lee, bend over.." he'd chicken out.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable to open discussion about a popular guitarist when it’s clear that he is currently hot property given his recent exposure with the PRS Strat. 

He is a fantastic guitarist and deserves all of his success. But anything I’ve heard other than the two songs I mentioned are pretty average. I let a few live gigs run in the background while I was in the workshop a few weeks back and nothing jumped out at me at all. It’s annoying because he’s a player I wanted to like.

But, on a similar note I don’t understand the hype around many artists/bands. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Best John Mayer performance I’ve seen...
    https://youtu.be/X1n6PgSC6IQ

sitting quietly, refusing to play a solo whilst Derek Trucks cuts loose.
    Mayer is absolutely gobsmacked. He probably couldn’t play like DT even in his wildest dreams.

For that moment in time Mayer with his mouth open must have be thinking like us amateurs do..... “WTF”
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5152
    I think for me, it gets great guitar based music into the car or house that my Mrs, 15 yr old Daughter and 7 yr old Son all like....If I tried to get some AC/DC into the car on a family outing....I don’t think that’d be met with the same outcome  :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    boogieman said:
    Great voice, quality songs and he’s a very, very good guitarist who can cover a lot of different styles. He comes across as pretty arrogant at times, which has got him a bad rep in some quarters, but if you’re that good and you’ve shagged Jennifer Anniston then I suppose you’re entitled to be.

As Oct says, try to play something like this while singing as well (and doing it all really well) and you soon realise just how good he is. 
    https://youtu.be/_DfQC5qHhbo
    See, I listen to that and I can see what the fuss is about.
    Then I went to youtube and listened to some tracks and wow. It's bland city. Reminded me of the worst of simply red.
    fandango said:
    Best John Mayer performance I’ve seen...
    https://youtu.be/X1n6PgSC6IQ

sitting quietly, refusing to play a solo whilst Derek Trucks cuts loose.
    Mayer is absolutely gobsmacked. He probably couldn’t play like DT even in his wildest dreams.

For that moment in time Mayer with his mouth open must have be thinking like us amateurs do..... “WTF”

That sort of thing makes me like him more- the old-fashioned 80s squiddly-wank guitar hero would be all stony-faced and pretend not to be impressed, or play something to interject himself in to the whole business. Mayer has the humility to sit down, shut the fuck up and revel in the fact that the talent he does have has put him in a position where he can sit that close to Derek Trucks and BB King.

I went to youtube and listened to some tracks and wow. It's bland city. Reminded me of the worst of simply red.

This from a guy who started a thread about how much he liked Corinne Bailey Rae.

I guess we all have our favourite shade of beige.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom