What glue to use to put pickup back together?

robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
I pulled apart one of the pickups of my Grant Jazz Bass copy to fix it (an internal wire had come off).

It currently looks like this:

The magnet goes in first (with the plate downmost) then the orange cover.

Is there any specific sort of glue I should use to put it back together?

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I would use hot-melt (glue gun) glue. It doesn't have to be strong, it just has to hold the parts in place. Hot-melt will do that and is easy to remove if you ever need to repair it again.

But I wouldn't do it from how it is now - I would first take the magnet off the shielding plate, then clean the magnet face and the bottom of the coil to make sure there is full contact between the magnet and the polepieces, put the magnet against the bobbin and glue round it (not under it), then stick the shield and the fibre bottom back on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    The shield goes between the pole pieces and the magnet, at least, that's where it was when I took the pickup apart, and that's where it is in the other pickup.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The shield goes between the pole pieces and the magnet, at least, that's where it was when I took the pickup apart, and that's where it is in the other pickup.
    Ah - yes, I can see matching glue marks. The same applies though - try to get as good a contact between the magnet, the shield and the polepieces as possible and don't worry about sticking the together with the glue, as long as that holds them all into the cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Gotcha - thanks.

I'll get the glue gun out.

R.