Video production

What's Hot

Currently trying to get some videos done for my cover band.  We have recorded some decent clips, using 2 iphones (a 7 for the static main cam and audio, and a 6 for an alternative shot cam, which was hand held).   Audio from the main cam was from a Shure MV88 (set in stereo, no compression, limiter).

I set up a nice background using stage curtains and arranged spot lights and the video looks good.  A quick listen on headphones and the audio is good also, but I'd like to perhaps tweak the e.q. and compress and maximise gently, although not essential.

So I need suggestions on video editing software.   I have an old probook laptop, newer HP laptop but neither are great (both i3 8gb ram).  Also have an ipad, but find the ios iMovie app too basic, and not sure it can add 2 video timelines.  I may get a Mac, but as they should be updated in June, don't want to buy one before an upgrade, so could do with a Windows solution for now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    Resolve is good and now not crazily expensive. There's a free version which does an awful lot. I have an old dongle for the full version but I believe you can use serial numbers nowadays (which you can flip between computers by authorizing/deauthorizing) if buying. Both full and free versions are available for Linux, Mac and Windows, don't think the licence is tied to one platform.

It was originally created as a colour correction tool but quite a few use it for editing aswell. Handles multicam and syncing, etc. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube but it's not all that difficult to do the basics. Colour correcting your footage properly will make it look a lot slicker too.

Downsides? Needs a decentish graphics card with reasonable amount of VRAM.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/

You don't need the fancy control surfaces, it works fine with keyboard and mouse.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I use Hitfilm express.   Free and awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    I use Movari - piss easy to use. There's a free version so you can try it out and then you can buy a version with more features for £30 which is what I did. You can convert your finished video into any format you like for the different platforms.

https://www.movavi.com/videoeditor/

Mac version ...

https://www.movavi.com/mac-video-editor/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    Great, thanks for the suggestions!
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    movie maker is good..and cheap