Oil City site issue

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10368
Hi guys ... the Oil City web hosts decided to upgrade their servers and appear to have broken the site! I can't even log in to check stuff as their entire operation is on the fritz.
If you need anything or you are waiting for a pickle-pup ... my e mail is still working fine ... it's just my site and shopping cart they've numptied! So I can't make any money .... booo hisss
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Ah that sucks. 

If you need any help from a geek let me know. 

You've done plenty to help us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10368
    tFB Trader
    100ws have this up http://www.100webspace.com/
    and though my site is up ... any attempt to click through to a site page produces a security warning. I can't access my site by their control panel or by FTP so till their front end is up again I'm stuffoed!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26575
    Yup, noticed that - wanted to look up the pickups I bought from you ;)

If all you need is straight web hosting (ie not email services) and they're not being helpful, then I can probably help you out there; I've got some spare capacity on my servers.
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader

Yup, noticed that - wanted to look up the pickups I bought from you ;)

If all you need is straight web hosting (ie not email services) and they're not being helpful, then I can probably help you out there; I've got some spare capacity on my servers.
    Thanks for the offer geezer ... I don't really know what to do at the moment. My mail seems to have re started ... but 100ws are a pain at the best of times. I might have to look into 'moving house' they are ones for random ... seemingly unplanned upgrades ... that never have any notice given. If I could have even put a 'site under repair' splash on there it'd not look so pony!

tFB Trader
    Site fixed ... their 'security upgrade' made my whole site unstable! I disabled it.
    Yay OCP functional again!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    I've used 1and1 for years with no issues, although I've never needed to do anything beyond very simple websites.  They do advertise all the bells and whistle services though, and prices seem reasonable.  If you're wanting to move house.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    May have to consider it ...

tFB Trader
    I'd talk to Lee
    His servers are way beefier than anything you'd get with a normal host. 

I use bluehost, but recently their servers have been up and down like a bride's nightie. 
    TTony said:
    I've used 1and1 for years with no issues, although I've never needed to do anything beyond very simple websites.  They do advertise all the bells and whistle services though, and prices seem reasonable.  If you're wanting to move house.
    Support's the main problem with 1and1 - if you need a lot of reliability, they're not a good idea. When they have problems (couple of times a year, generally) they tend to last for days - if not weeks - and their support department treats you like you're paying £10/year for hosting...which you are. Not good if your business relies on it.

Given that this'd just be a simple HTML site, I'd happily host it for nothing (except maybe a discount next time I need some pickups...). You'd also be pretty much guaranteed that if anything went wrong, I'd be on it like flies on shit 'cos I need my servers to run 24/7 ;)

Up to you, though. I don't do the hard sell...
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    We may need to talk @digitalscream :)
    my concern would be migration, mail services, and time to transfer domain etc. Though of course I could simply reg another OCP domain version and parallel the sites ... handling migration as a progressive shutdown of oilcitypickups.co.uk till my hosting package runs out with 100 toss buckets in august I think (after all I've paid for 12 months).
    I can build sites ... but my experience of 'server-magic' and content delivery is basic. Yes I can naff about with PEARL and bits and bobs ... but I make pickups for a living :-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    My band's website is on United Web Hosting and they've been having major problems recently too - it's been down more than up for at least a month. Luckily I don't use it that much any more now the band is on long-term hold, but it was handy for hosting pics and stuff...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    A customer has now told me my site is setting off virus warnings .... jeez, my content hasn't changed, so it must be the new configuration from my hosts ... fed up ... pile of toss!

I'm insanely busy the next couple of days, but I can try to get you up and running over the weekend if you want? Might involve an hour or so of buggering around between the two of us to get mail etc sorted, but we'll get you going one way or another if you can wait until then.
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    Use Lee's server!
    tFB Trader
    I think I'm too busy over the next couple of days ... let me see if I can get the 'support' I pay for with my current hosts to sort the problem, then I can look at a change when we're all in a better position!