Nita Strauss on Kickstarter...

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
edited April 2018 in Music
Wow...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hurricanenita/nita-strauss-debut-solo-album

It's been up a day, and she's already more than doubled the $20k target.

Also...I'm so glad that the Pizza Night perk went while I was looking at it, because I was seriously thinking about how I'd explain to the wife that she had no choice about coming to Hollywood with me to go on a double date with two people she'd never met who make music she hates.

EDIT: Oops, just signed up for the Skype call. Because...dunno. A little window into the world of somebody who's doing well might give me the kick in the backside I need to get my own stuff moving a bit quicker.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 584
    edited April 2018
    Saw the post last night and immediately backed it, looked like i was the second backer (but Kickstarter is weird) ... would've been nice to go for one of the more fancy rewards  but hey, gotta be sensible ... and then about an hour later it was funded.  Crazy.  Good to see she's getting the support she deserves though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Bezzer said:
    Saw the post last night and immediately backed it, looked like i was the second backer (but Kickstarter is weird) ... would've been nice to go for one of the more fancy rewards  but hey, gotta be sensible ... and then about an hour later it was funded.  Crazy.  Good to see she's getting the support she deserves though!
    Indeed. I don't know why, but she seems much more like "normal person who's got some great gigs through hard work" than most famous guitarists.

Only slight problem I have now is that I have no idea what to talk about on the Skype call. Last time I did something like this was with Pat Badger, and I can't even remember how the conversation went!
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I thought this was going to be a Kickstarter for her own brand of pizza patterned plectrums :blush: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Good on her. And unlike Amanda Palmer she’s not asking for a ludicrous amount, either.
  • Good on her, I didn't know about her until I watched the Hired Gun documentary, she seems to have worked her way from the bottom. Her new Ibanez sig is pretty nice too.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Imagine if one of the perks was guitar picks and our very own @chrishill901 signed up for that and he got a handful of his own picks back.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    digitalscream said:

I have no idea what to talk about on the Skype call. 
    You could start with “10 questions we ask everyone” on behalf of the forum. Once the ice is broken you could move on to talking about something useful like learning to play, and how she thinks about the music.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Her rate of learning songs is equally impressive and disheartening - she is clearly an exceptional guitarist and she always interviews well, total gear junkie too.
    Garthy said:
    Her rate of learning songs is equally impressive and disheartening - she is clearly an exceptional guitarist and she always interviews well, total gear junkie too.
    Oh, I know. I could probably mostly keep up with her in terms of playing (except those goddamn sweeps, which I've never managed to get the hang of), but the fact that she learns stuff at such a prodigious rate is what stuns me. It literally takes me about three weeks of rehearsals to get to the point where I'm not staring at everyone else's fretboards, and even then I still have the eye-roll moments.

That's even with songs I've written myself!
    <space for hire>
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 584
    Ha ha, I have exactly the opposite problem ... see I can learn a song in an evening usually. Just takes me weeks to get the clever bits near tempo :-) 

working on it .... working on it 
  • Imagine if one of the perks was guitar picks and our very own @chrishill901 signed up for that and he got a handful of his own picks back.  
    I’m tempted to back it just for this reason... I’d have to pledge $80 though to get the perk that comes with a pick, and $80 seems a bit steep to pay for a pick I’ve got a drawer full of... because you know, they’re actually mine not hers!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I think she's really cool, and a fantastic player. Plus I love that she's got her own sig model now. And it doesn't make me a bad person to say that she's a very nice person to look at too. I'll prob back it for a $30 signed CD. Although I do wish that option came with the DL too.

@chrishill90 We could do with you doing another run of your patented picks, and then flogging them for cost on here. Now that they're being endorsed by a pro.

Imagine if one of the perks was guitar picks and our very own @chrishill901 signed up for that and he got a handful of his own picks back.  
    I’m tempted to back it just for this reason... I’d have to pledge $80 though to get the perk that comes with a pick, and $80 seems a bit steep to pay for a pick I’ve got a drawer full of... because you know, they’re actually mine not hers!
    OK...is there a story I'm missing here?
    <space for hire>
  • gusman2x said:

I think she's really cool, and a fantastic player. Plus I love that she's got her own sig model now. And it doesn't make me a bad person to say that she's a very nice person to look at too. I'll prob back it for a $30 signed CD. Although I do wish that option came with the DL too.

@chrishill90 We could do with you doing another run of your patented picks, and then flogging them for cost on here. Now that they're being endorsed by a pro.

Trust me, the amount they ended up costing after import duty wouldn't make it worth it!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    <space for hire>
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I think she's great - good player, hard worker, and just seems really nice. Plus (I think?) the first female with a signature Ibanez...about time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think she's great - good player, hard worker, and just seems really nice. Plus (I think?) the first female with a signature Ibanez...about time!
    If there's one thing we could all learn from her - and I wish I'd learned as a young 'un - it's to always say "yes" first, and figure out the details later.

I suspect I might've done a lot more awesome stuff had I adopted that approach 20 years ago instead of worrying about what might go wrong.
    <space for hire>
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    If there's one thing we could all learn from her - and I wish I'd learned as a young 'un - it's to always say "yes" first, and figure out the details later.

I suspect I might've done a lot more awesome stuff had I adopted that approach 20 years ago instead of worrying about what might go wrong.
    that's precisely what I'm doing now after changing careers!! Scary but good (and fun). 

that's precisely what I'm doing now after changing careers!! Scary but good (and fun). 
    Indeed. Sadly, I have so many overheads now that a change in career isn't going to be possible until the wife triples her salary or I win the lottery :P
    <space for hire>