SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB? Mac Mini - not any more!

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
edited April 2018 in Misc £
Looking for a reasonable spec - ideally 8Gb / 1Tb and probably an i5 processor - it's going to run Logic, etc.

I'll probably end up buying new because it'd be an exVAT price, but thought I'd ask here first in case anyone has got anything that's no longer used/wanted.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Get 16G i7...you wont look back

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    edited April 2018
    Just got me a Mac mini yesterday - got the 2012 i5 with fusion drive and 16Gb RAM - Absolutely brilliant!  

Some good prices on fleabay at the moment.

Would be worth looking at the "older" models purely for the upgrades as the newer ones can't be upgraded.

Dave
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    spark240 said:
    i7 is a no-brainer. i5 will soon be unable to support the DAW.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    PC_Dave said:
    Some good prices on fleabay at the moment.

Would be worth looking at the "older" models purely for the upgrades as the newer ones can't be upgraded.
    Yeah, but "ebay".

I know I'd have all the rights as the buyer, but it'd have to be a ridiculous deal to tempt me, and if it were that ridiculous, I'd just be too suspicious to buy!

Know what you mean re upgradeability, but I'm currently using a 2010 MBA with 2gb and its just about coping, so I think an i5 with 8gb will meet my needs for a while.

spark240 said:
    i7 is a no-brainer. i5 will soon be unable to support the DAW.
    That's a bold statement @Funkfingers.  I'm not sure that the added performance of the i7 would make *that* much of a difference - certainly not enough to justify the £270 price uplift.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    I'm not sure that the added performance of the i7 would make *that* much of a difference - certainly not enough to justify the £270 price uplift.
    Apple, innit?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    TTony said:
    I'm not sure that the added performance of the i7 would make *that* much of a difference - certainly not enough to justify the £270 price uplift.
    Apple, innit?
    Soon all the Intel chips will be done for when Apple switch over to in house sand.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Apple get right on my tits!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Whilst what you choose to put on your tits will undoubtedly be of interest to some people, it's not quite relevant to this thread ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    usedtobe said:
    Whilst what you choose to put on your tits will undoubtedly be of interest to some people, it's not quite relevant to this thread.
    Medicate yo' tits with balm. That's right, folks. Balm yo' tits.

TTony said:
     I think an i5 with 8gb will meet my needs for a while.

I am suggesting that you think like a power user. If you run a whole bunch of software instruments and amp/effect modelling in Logic 10.4.n, 8GB will soon fill and an i5 CPU will struggle. Juggling audio data in and out of virtual RAM relies on extremely rapid HDD/SSD access. Glitching is very likely.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @TTony I would consider a mini with SSD for main drive and a large capacity second drive. I know with the 2012 model you can perform that upgrade yourself. The speed of SSD as you probably know it's something you will miss when starting up apps, reboots, ...

Don't forget, as soon as you get the mini up and running connect a decent external drive and let time machine do it's stuff. One of the best apps apple have produced imo.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    notanon said:
    @TTony I would consider a mini with SSD for main drive and a large capacity second drive. I know with the 2012 model you can perform that upgrade yourself. The speed of SSD as you probably know it's something you will miss when starting up apps, reboots, ...

Don't forget, as soon as you get the mini up and running connect a decent external drive and let time machine do it's stuff. One of the best apps apple have produced imo.
    What are opinions on the Fusion Drives? (Spinning HD with an SSD piggybacked for frequently used data). Thinking of getting a new machine for video and while I moved to SSD a couple of years ago, the storage capabilities of Fusion are very atttractive.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    TTony said:
    usedtobe said:
    Whilst what you choose to put on your tits will undoubtedly be of interest to some people, it's not quite relevant to this thread ...
    You’re quite right. I can only apologise..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    It's a shame that the current model Mac minis have the RAM hard-wired, so you can't upgrade.

I've used a fusion drive in a Dell and I have to say it was not very good; straight SSD drives are now cheaper and you can add an external drive to archive things off to.

On the i5 vs. i7 matter, there are different types of i7s, some being only 2-core. My current mid 2011 model is an i5 one and the CPU load often gets high and the fan kicks in.
    Decided against the Mac route.

As I can't effectively get hold of Logic (download *is* the only option, although I'm aware of some sites where I can buy physical media, so it looks like Apple's blinkeredness is promoting piracy again), I'm going to save myself the cost of buying a Mac to run it on!

I'll probably just bring an old PC back to life, and upgrade it appropriately instead.
    JezWynd said:
    notanon said:

What are opinions on the Fusion Drives? (Spinning HD with an SSD piggybacked for frequently used data). Thinking of getting a new machine for video and while I moved to SSD a couple of years ago, the storage capabilities of Fusion are very atttractive.
    @JezWynd ; A very good question! I have to leave the debate to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ssd-vs-fusion-drive.2049515/

Point of note for me is the fact that things are now glued in and no longer easy to upgrade so you probably want to have an external drive anyway with time machine (a TB backup in the cloud??). For data look at the transfer rates discussed here:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-2-0-vs-usb-3-0-vs-esata-vs-thunderbolt-vs-firewire-vs-ethernet-speed/

I think I would go for speed of computer and guard against for loss of data. For me that would equate to extra SSD storage rather than fusion and then an external drive(s) for data when it comes to Mac or any other system that is locked down with respect to hardware.

YMMV

HTH  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited April 2018
    Thanks @notanon, I'll check those links out. Totally agree about Time Machine. It recovered my entire system and 160GB+ of data after a system failure a while back. I was most impressed at how simple it was to recover.
    JezWynd said:
    Thanks @notanon, I'll check those links out. Totally agree about Time Machine. It recovered my entire system and 160GB+ of data after a system failure a while back. I was most impressed at how simple it was to recover.

@JezWynd ;

Yep, neat approach as you know. I would expect to build a new windows workstation within a couple of hours. A clone of a final setup will save time for the usual basic config on a windows PC but time machine restores everything exactly to when one last used the computer. Every piece of software with every last preference is restored. In the past that has taken me days to complete for my own PC.

Time flies (pun intended) and as far as I understand there are *equivalents* out there for Windows and Linux now but few match time machine on Mac.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Time Machine on the Mac is great; it really is one of those Mac things which you just turn on and find it's there when you need it a year or so later.

As for the Mac mini - I think Apple killed the product when they made it non-upgradable. It's a shame, because it's (was) a great product.

There was some talk about them releasing one which is AppleTV sized, in wich case the hard-wiring would be logical.

As it stands now, if you want an upgradable Mac, you have to spend £3k, which is a bit steep (and you never know if Apple will obsolete it the week after you buy).

The other option is their laptops, which are probably better made than any other on the market, but they have top-end spec and prices to match. Regarding prices, it's worth noting that Macbook prices are similar to Dell's hi-end models; it's just that they don't do budget models.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    prowla said:

The other option is their laptops, which are probably better made than any other on the market, but they have top-end spec and prices to match. Regarding prices, it's worth noting that Macbook prices are similar to Dell's hi-end models; it's just that they don't do budget models.
    I don't completely agree with this.  The Dell XPS 13 for example is £1228, it has an 8th Generation intel processor  (i7-8550U) and £256GB hard drive, 4k screen.  The equivalent macbook pro would be £1450 but still doesn't have a 4k screen or 8th gen quad core processor  (granted, the screen resolution doesn't tell the whole story and Apple have very nice displays).
    The Dell build quality is supposed to be on a par with apple, or at least not much in it. 

I think Apple need to update their laptops very soon, there's no doubt they are great machines, but competitors are a generation on with processors, screen resolution, and innovation IMO.  Apple need to keep up.