SteveF's Pedal Building Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2815
    SteveF said:
    Have any of you built a wah yet?  If so, what enclosure did you use?  I fancy having a go at taking all the similar crybaby schematics from tagboardeffects and rigging up a rotary switch on the side so that you can select between them.  e.g have a slash, Bonamassa, wylde, standard etc all in one pedal. 
    Yes I bought a broken vox wah for £25 and reused the enclosure and a few of the other parts.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 704
    @SteveF Did you get your 2nd order from Tayda yet (from around 23rd April)? I'm still waiting for mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 74
    Philtre said:
    @SteveF Did you get your 2nd order from Tayda yet (from around 23rd April)? I'm still waiting for mine.
    Nope, not yet.  I got my 3rd order though :lol:  I did use DHL on that one though so it was quicker.  
    Did you have to pay duty on the DHL one?

BTW - how's the Envirotex? =)
    Yes, the duty charge was levied by DHL literally the day after I ordered it.  I suspect it's done as standard by them.  Now I have everything in bulk, I will just do orders as and when that will probably be fine in the post without charges.  If I order a load of enclosures in bulk and expect it to be too big, I'll probably just go for DHL as if I'm paying anyway, I'd rather have it within a week. 

The ET is looking good.  Does it go properly hard?  If I dig my thumbnail into the ET (where the drill holes are, obvs) it still makes a slight mark.  I am unlikely to have a chance to do anything til tomorrow night at the earliest, but more likely the weekend so it has time to cure for a bit longer yet. 
    SteveF said:
    Yes, the duty charge was levied by DHL literally the day after I ordered it.  I suspect it's done as standard by them.  Now I have everything in bulk, I will just do orders as and when that will probably be fine in the post without charges.  If I order a load of enclosures in bulk and expect it to be too big, I'll probably just go for DHL as if I'm paying anyway, I'd rather have it within a week. 

The ET is looking good.  Does it go properly hard?  If I dig my thumbnail into the ET (where the drill holes are, obvs) it still makes a slight mark.  I am unlikely to have a chance to do anything til tomorrow night at the earliest, but more likely the weekend so it has time to cure for a bit longer yet. 
    Give it at least 4 days preferably a week for it to cure properly.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    I think the ET continues to harden well after 4 days. Some of the ones I poured from weeks ago are very hard. :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Ah good stuff, but yeah, they look great.  A slight bit of a wonky edge on the black one, which was the one I overpoured and had issues with.  You can also see where the shininess of the powder coat has rubbed off with the meths.  The silver one looks ace though.  I think the metallic paint disguises the transition of the ET, so it looks really professional. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    My Tayda order just arrived. So this one took 16 days. =)
    I had a tayda order arrive this morning as well but judging by the border force tape customs have opened it.  I wasn’t charged for any vat or import charges but they haven’t sealed it properly and some of the order is missing.

I’m positive it’s not a mistake by tayda because in 3 years I’ve never once been missing an item in a delivery from them.

Thanks border force good job  :p
    edited May 9
    Oh that's a real bummer! I hope you didn't lose too much of the order.
    Mine just delivered too.  Also opened by border force but I didn't notice anything missing.  I will double check against my invoice now though. No charges for me either
    I may have a problem.... 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Pedal Builders Anonymous has self-help groups every Thursday... =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Philtre said:
    Pedal Builders Anonymous has self-help groups every Thursday... =)
    lol sign me up this is my messy build area 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Very nicely organised! Is that a blob of blu-tack on the cutting mat?
    Check this:

Philtre said:
    Yup best pedal building tip I ever got was to use blu tack.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Philtre said:
    Yup best pedal building tip I ever got was to use blu tack.  
    Same here. "Barry", my blob of blu tack, is my most important piece of equipment. ;)
    I must get a big blob of blu tac I’m just using masking tape to hold everything at the moment. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 285
    Wow, nice drawers (ooh-er missus!)
    Mine is a series of cardboard boxes and polythene bags inside other boxes and bags.
    At least most resistors are together, most capacitors etc. :)
    In my local (to work) Maplin store they are selling drawer units with random components for knock-down prices.
    edited May 11
    Philtre said:
    Check this:

Bargain, but if I got something like that my wife would have a fit
    Why so much stock, anyway if it's just a home workshop!?
    aord43 said:

Mine is a series of cardboard boxes and polythene bags inside other boxes and bags.

Same here.
    Philtre said:
    aord43 said:

Same here.
    I got sick of spending ages trying to find parts so bought one set of drawers at a time.  I've just reached the point where I'm going to need another one as I've got a rather large bag of components that don't have homes.

All of mine came from my local Maplin I'll try and pop over this weekend to see if they have any left before they close.
    I fancy some of those, but I don't have a dedicated space yet and do most of my soldering at the dining table.  The cases are about 8 quid from Amazon.  They're alright but the compartments are a little bit small if you have a lot of pots or knobs.  You can remove the separators though. 
    I think the ones I have were about £28 each from memory.  
    Managed to get one finished today - this is the Lovepedal Eternity Burst.  This is the enclosure that went a bit wonky with the meths and it needs some different knobs on possibly, but it sounds great. Managed to forget to do a gutshot again so will do that and update at some point.  

Had a request from my mate who I am making the compressor and Klone for.  He wants to be able to switch it on and off remotely with the CTL output of his switcher.  i.e. he wants to be able to have two different pedals in the same loop, then use the CTL outputs to switch each one on or off in the loop (hopefully that makes sense).  I believe his controls just use a TS or TRS cable. 

I was thinking I would just put a 3.5mm jack socket in series between the ground from the power socket and 3PDT footswitch.  That way if he engaged the main footswitch permanently, the circuit would be made and broken by the remote footswitch and if nothing was plugged into the jack socket, it would just be shorted so the pedal would operate normally.  Would this work? 
    Don't know about the switch thing but the pedal looks great! Ready for more Envirotexing? ;-)