I had a Pearl Octaver for years and thought it was great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited April 2018

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The whammy has to be king of the hill
    The Pog isn't bad
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    POG2 is excellent. Works really well with guitar and bass. Plus you have the additional functions like delayed attack (a la Slow Gear but with much more variation to fade in time), variable Q etc. So many good things in this pedal.
  • Analogue octave down for me. MXR Bass Octave Deluxe is fun. I’d like to try one of the COG ones
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I've got an Aguilar Octamizer for my bass; I chose it because it keeps the sound & character of the instrument rather than regenerating the note.

I had issues with it tracking the note, but it works a lot better now I've put a compressor (Boss CP-1X) in front of it. However, the sound does eventually break up of you hold a note and allow it to fade, especially on a harmonic-rich bass like a Ric.

I remember having a go with the Boss & MXR ones when I tried them in the shop on Denmark Street, but the Aguilar stood out (and I got compliments from people in the shop, so it played me well!).

I tried a POG a while back and was mightily impressed with it, but (I think) it does regenerate the notes. I'd like one of those too.

The other one I'd like to give a go is the Markbass synth pedal.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I have two, and like them both for different things: Foxrox Octron, and EHX Pitchfork.

If you *only* want octaves, a micro/nano POG is a better bet than the Pitchfork, but I like the options to have other intervals on the Pitchfork (I use it as a pitchshifter when a song is tuned to Eb and I can't be bothered to tune down).

The Octron is way more fun and makes me grin a lot, but it's less practical. The octave down is this fat, dirty analogue synth sound. The octave up is an octave fuzz, but a cleaner one than an octavia. It sounds wicked but because neither is polyphonic the EHX is a bit more useful.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    A big plus one for the Pearl Octaver, gritty nasty and oh so analogue, bloody great pedal
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Is this for bass or guitar?
    Pearl Octaver is my fave and a vintage pedal now that commands high prices (£180). It works well on both instruments.

I like the EBS Octabass and the Aguilar is good, too. 

If you find a used Mooer Tender Octave (Can't remember if it's the Mk1 or 2 that's the good one but discontinued), they're great.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    It's for guitar
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Try the TC Sub n' Up
  • You might want to have a think about what you want to do with the octave pedal as they can vary a lot.  Do you want polyphony (so a digital pedal) or a monophonic pedal? Octave up? 1 or 2 octaves down? 

The old Boss OC2 sounds great but has a distinct synthy sort of sound. Also being analog the tracking starts to struggle down on the E string.

The Boss oc3 has that threshold function which allows you to add octave only to the lower strings, a pretty cool feature if you want to play finger style jazz with walking bass lines. 

The POG2 sounds a lot more ‘organy’ even if just using 1 octave down. Of course the tracking on that is great and it can do loads of stuff. 

I’ve also got an Exar Octavian which is similar to the Pearl Octaver but with added tone controls for the lower 2 octaves, this sounds a lot more natural than either the ehx or boss but it’s analogue so is monophonic and doesn’t track so well down at the bottom of the neck.  

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    I use a BYOC Divided Octave (Mu-Tron Octave Divider clone). It was a complicated build, and they aren't cheap, but it does sound brilliant. Does analogue octave down and clean-ish octave up (Green Ringer?). Glitches a bit on the low strings and gets very upset if you try to play anything other than single notes or fifths, but sounds ace, particularly with distortion. If you're considering DIY, Madbean do a Pearl Octaver PCB (Lowrider).

Digital octavers have the advantage of polyphony, but don't sound anywhere near as good IME.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    nickb_boy said:

No. It's the sound of a photocopy of a photocopy.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.