Running amp off a car battery?

What's Hot
Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
edited April 2018 in Amps
Has anyone ever ran an amp off a car/leisure battery before?

I'm playing an outside 'acoustic' gig in a teepee in a few weeks and it occurred to me there might not be a socket nearby to run my amp.

A battery plus an inverter should do the job... Right!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2018
    Seen buskers in Guildford do it many times... You will need a trundle trolley though!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624
    Chris_J said:
    Has anyone ever ran an amp off a car/leisure battery before?

I'm playing an outside 'acoustic' gig in a teepee in a few weeks and it occurred to me there might not be a socket nearby to run my amp.

A battery plus an inverter should do the job... Right!

Grr, lappy was dying... Get yourself to Maplin PDQ and you might pickup a cheap inverter. I have a 600W jobbie and that ran a 32" Sony FSTV and a freeview recorder no sweat.

Car batteries? Find a "Rock Bottom" type shop. There is one a few miles from me that does CBs at way under Halfords monies. Ok, maybe won't start a 3litr diesel Lanny at -4 but the drain you will put on it is piss all compared to a car. Should last years. OR! if you can find a friendly car breakers you could pickup a really good battery for 20quid or so.

Do NOT forget, 'inverter' derived mains is JUST as lethal as the home sockets deliver!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Be careful with this plan.  Although the actual drain is minimal, remember that the inverter will be pretty inefficient.  Cheap car batteries do not like this kind of load and you'd be lucky to get an hour's use.  A decent leisure battery would be a much better bet as they cope with being deep cycled.  If you 'must' go down the s/h route, I'd go for something commercial.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Thanks for the advice all!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    57Deluxe said:
    Seen buskers in Guildford do it many times... You will need a trundle trolley though!
    There's a guy who IIRC plays a black Strat, and sells CDs of his stuff, generally covers but the backing tracks are all his own work as well as what he plays live. He does a really mean version of Comfortably Numb. He is probably one of them that you mention. Have you heard him?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1741
    57Deluxe said:
    There's a guy who IIRC plays a black Strat, and sells CDs of his stuff, generally covers but the backing tracks are all his own work as well as what he plays live. He does a really mean version of Comfortably Numb. He is probably one of them that you mention. Have you heard him?
    I've seen that guy in Newbury a few times. He's rather good
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited April 2018
    Can  I just say, please make sure it is a true sinewave invertor, as some are not so, and approximate more to a square wave which is OK for TVs etc. which generally use switch mode power supplies, but not for amps i'm afraid.
    DJH83004 said:
    Can  I just say, please make sure it is a true sinewave invertor, as some are not so, and approximate more to a square wave which is OK for TVs etc. which generally use switch mode power supplies, but not for amps i'm afraid.

I think you will be hard pressed to find other than "modified sine" inverters at any reasonable power/price point?

Probably have to suck and see, rectifier circuits do not pull a sine current anyway.

Dave.