Mr Dyson

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Still on a Dyson DC01. Still doing the job. Won't be buying a cordless any time soon.

PS also have a Husqvarna with a bag in it. I still works.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    That's no way to treat a dog.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I'm waiting for Argos to stock the V10 and will then pull the trigger on one.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Dyson's genius was in convincing people that higher suction power means a cleaner carpet.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    They had a sale on refurbed Dysons last week - £272 for a V8 Animal. Perhaps they have them on offer irregularly?
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I've got a Big Ball Animal that whistles while you work and if you put it on the max setting you need arms like Schwarzennegger to move it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Henry. End of thread.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

I've always found an upright with a motorised beater bar much better than any cylinder vacuum for most home carpet.

Henry's have good suction and are robust, probably great for hotels etc with flat floors, but for the house with longer pile carpet, I find the beater bar lifts the carpet. We have a Dyson Cylinder vacuum with very good suction, but I borrow an upright now and again and it absolutely kills it, makes the carpet look new again.

I'd like to try the latest Dyson cordless, they have even more power and battery life than previous generations and a motorised beater bar, so may be very good.

I think the latest one is the V10, has anybody actually tried one? 

Dyson's genius was in convincing people that higher suction power means a cleaner carpet.
    Doesn't it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    edited April 2018

I don't understand why cordless (in all things) is being encouraged to be honest.  We have an energy crisis (apparently) and an environmental crisis. 

So surely charging a battery can't be anywhere near as efficient as taking power directly from source?  So there must be a waste somewhere? 

And if that's true then not only are we making more and more batteries that will eventually be thrown away when they reach the end of their useful life, which causes its own environmental issues/and further energy use for dismantling and recycling, but if we're wasting energy by repeatedly charging them then that can't be good for the environment either?

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to be educated.

I'm not a Greenpeace warrior, either, just for the record.  Just seems a bit daft, but then I suppose one type of green trumps the other green.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Haych said:

I don't understand why cordless (in all things) is being encouraged to be honest.  We have an energy crisis (apparently) and an environmental crisis. 

So surely charging a battery can't be anywhere near as efficient as taking power directly from source?  So there must be a waste somewhere? 

And if that's true then not only are we making more and more batteries that will eventually be thrown away when they reach the end of their useful life, which causes its own environmental issues/and further energy use for dismantling and recycling, but if we're wasting energy by repeatedly charging them then that can't be good for the environment either?

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm happy to be educated.

I'm not a Greenpeace warrior, either, just for the record.  Just seems a bit daft, but then I suppose one type of green trumps the other green.

Yes. The charge-discharge cycle is never 100% efficient. I can't remember the figures, but I think at best around 80-90%.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I've got the new Dyson Sphere, plenty of battery life but a bit big to fit under the stairs.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just returned a Flymo cordless lawn mower, claimed 'cuts up to 250m2 with one charge'  mine did about 15m2 on a full charge, and struggled in the patches where the grass was 2" long - hopeless!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    There's no energy efficiency in charging any battery from a high AC voltage or running the motor from a DC voltage. Motors run far more efficiently from AC, particularly 3 phase AC. I don't know if the Dyson uses an inverter fed from the batteries like a Tesla car or whether it has DC motors though ....course if it does use an inverter than there's more losses there!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    RMJ said:
    Went for a job at Dyson years ago. Didn't get it. But interesting to get a glimpse of what it's like to work there. Very innovat
    You have to suck up to get promotion there
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    I would never buy a Henry. It would just be wrong giving yourself a blowjob with a Henry when the wife's away. 
    Doesn't it?
    If you ask Cathy Newman, probably. All us Jordan Petersons know it's a bit more complicated than that.
    @fields5069 ;  I've never heard of either. It does strike me as intuitive however that stronger suction will pull more dirt out of the carpet, given equivalent tool-carpet interface.
    @fields5069 ;  I've never heard of either. It does strike me as intuitive however that stronger suction will pull more dirt out of the carpet, given equivalent tool-carpet interface.
    She's on Channel 4 news - basically she spent 30 minutes trying to get him to admit that there was a gender pay gap, and he spent 30 minutes in a bewildered state explaining why there are so other many factors at play besides gender.

So I would agree that extra power using the same interface is a good thing and will collect more dust in the same space of time. :) But the interface, oh the interface. A good beater bar and 1000 watts will clean most carpets very well indeed.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    But the interface, oh the interface. A good beater bar and 1000 watts will clean most carpets very well indeed.

Actually, there's something to be said for this.  My Dyson has so much suction the beater-bar just sucks itself to the carpet and visibly pushes dirt around in front of it. 

To quote Bill Paxton, it could suck start a leaf blower.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.