Commonwealth Games...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
There is no shortage of major athletic and sports events, indoor and outdoor, so is there any ongoing need to have another major meet especially one that is confined to countries that were former colonies of Britain?

In the sporting world, has a Commonwealth medal any significant standing in people's minds? Answers please on a new £5 note..
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I'm assuming that the people who compete, and the places that host it, probably think it has some value and worth.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It’s in Birmingham next time so I’ll suddenly become super duper interested in it then. 
    In the days of Brexit we’ve also suddenly remembered that there is a Commenwealth and that not being able to sell stuff to large nearby countries like France is fine because we can sell stuff to Botswana instead. They’re all our best buddies now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Rocker said:
    In the sporting world, has a Commonwealth medal any significant standing in people's minds?
    If entrants manage to set new world records or personal best performances for their events, it is significant. Other than that, the Commonwealth Games is an institution whose reason for being has passed. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    I didn't realise the Welsh were so active...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I must admit I've not watched any of this one, which is a shame as I got quite into it last time. However I must admit that was mainly because somebody I used to swim with won the triathlon in the last one!

As it's in Birmingham for the next one, I imagine we'll be drowning in it with Andy Street ramming it down our throats as if it was him that got it for the city, so I'll probably have to work very hard to avoid it then.

But yeah it is worth it in my view for the athletes, otherwise it'd be a bit like only have the champions league in the football wouldn't it?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Hey, yeah, sorry about invading your country and trying to colonise you, but let’s have a sports day yeah?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    It's not a proper international games.  It's like a village fete compared with the Olympics, but it does show that multi-sport games have some draw for people and that there is room for something besides the Olympics.  
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I might be a touch biased (my wife's sister has just won a silver medal) but from her perspective she sees it as a chance to compete against other countries who don't have a state sponsored doping program, unlike the olympics.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    It has far more of the Olympic Spirit than the Olympics have had for years. 

Yes it is a bit of a village fête, which also means it not a Most Devious Millionaire contest. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    57Deluxe said:
    I didn't realise the Welsh were so active...
    You mean in general? ;)

I mean I regard apathy as one of my pros, but yeah some Welsh like to run about a bit and stuff.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    FX_Munkee said:
    I might be a touch biased (my wife's sister has just won a silver medal) but from her perspective she sees it as a chance to compete against other countries who don't have a state sponsored doping program, unlike the olympics.
    I love the Olympics as well, but this is somewhat accurate, unfortunately. 

I love the Commonwealth's because there are sports which should be Olympic Sports, that get the chance to showcase their talents and their sport (see Squash and Netball in particular). 

We went up to Glasgee for the last one to watch the Netball finals, and the atmosphere was great. As a bonus we got to see some of the cycling road race whizz by in the city centre as we were walking back to the car. 

There's been some absolutely elite level performances across loads of the sports thus far. 

It's also fucking great that they integrate the para-sports with the able-bodied sports. 

Which event did your wife's sister win a medal in @FX_Munkee ? that's awesome! 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    edited April 2018
    joneve said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/43687443

so you can probably tell it makes quite a difference for her (the doping bit).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    FX_Munkee said:
    joneve said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/43687443

so you can probably tell it makes quite a difference for her (the doping bit).
    ha! yep! 122kg clean and jerk is no joke! fair play to her! 
  • I'm watching the squash on TV - two girls  sweating in a perspex box.

They've just had half a dozen cleaners come in to mop up sweat, to the Benny Hill music. :)

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    That’s very cool @FX_Munkee I couldn’t sleep on Saturday night so watched Sarah’s event live and she was so close to getting her final C+J. Amazing lifting.