Waist measurements - Weight - and a General Brain Dump - Possible Mumsnet type Post

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    T-the-D funnily enough I quit that gym last month too, as soon as my 1 year prepaid membership was up. I couldn't put my finger on it but I just didn't feel at home there. The charity I work for run an open gym group now at Weymouth College gym which is £15 per month for as many visits as you want, it's not far from where you work and you get to have a work out and a coffee and a chat with a load of idiots like me if you fancy joining us ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    @sticker yes those m&s balanced meals are awesome aren't they!!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    @sticker yes those m&s balanced meals are awesome aren't they!!

Yep ! they're the only ready meals I've had that don't taste like ready meals , and they fill you up so you're not always snacking after .
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    @Travisthedog I haven’t read a single post after your original one so I apologise if I’ve missed anything... 

I spent 14 years in the menswear business. The tape measurement you’re getting at 46” is likely your tummy size, not your waist (where your trousers sit). It’s typical that your waist is 6” smaller than your chest or tummy. If you can maintain a 6” drop (the gap between waist and torso is best around 6”) then that’s a good indication of how you’re losing weight.

I hope all goes well and fair play to you for trying to lose some weight. The main thing is as long as you’re happy :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @Travisthedog respect and stick with it, good on you.

Sorry for being trite, but as others have said, more calories burned than consumed = weight loss. It's not rocket science, it cam just take a while.

& keep riding the bike mate, will change your life.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited April 2018
    I'm not telling you to go vegan, but if you cut out meat and dairy while you're doing all this the weight will drop off you.
    I was 229lbs in October last year and now I'm 190lbs. I've done nowhere near the amount of exercise you're doing. I don't have a gym membership and I drive most places.
    I feel good as well, it's not because I'm being silly and not eating properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    lonestar said:
    @Travisthedog I haven’t read a single post after your original one so I apologise if I’ve missed anything... 

I spent 14 years in the menswear business. The tape measurement you’re getting at 46” is likely your tummy size, not your waist (where your trousers sit). It’s typical that your waist is 6” smaller than your chest or tummy. If you can maintain a 6” drop (the gap between waist and torso is best around 6”) then that’s a good indication of how you’re losing weight.

I hope all goes well and fair play to you for trying to lose some weight. The main thing is as long as you’re happy :)
    Ooh suits you sir!! The ladies like a man in a suit don't they sir...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ not in a  Simon Cowell cut though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've come to know lately all about waist size. I'm currently just a touch overweight, but got a bit flabby during a recent break from exercise. My jeans used to fall down, when I was younger because there was nothing there to hold them up. Now my jeans still tend to fall down, but precisely because there IS something there, pushing them down.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Have just lost a stone moving to a Ketogenic diet. Still enjoying a glass of wine but cut out sugar and carbs,  I look and feel massively better for it. 
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    Travis, good for you!!, sounds like you have made a pretty good start to me!!, I'm on a similar quest to you to lose weight, sainsbury's do a really low alcahol beer called "Czech" its £1:00 a bottle for 500ml and is only 0.05% and to be fair it tastes alright, which I'm hoping will lower the calorie count, I'm at home more or less 24/7 due to stress stuff depression, so getting to a gym isn't an option for me, but it sounds like your on the right track, and am sure you will start seeing weight loss soon, fingers crossed for you, keep on keeping on :).
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    It's what one does 80% of the time that makes a difference, I do at least 30 minutes increased heart rate exercise 5 times a week - running on quiet residential roads first thing in the morning before traffic pollution increases, and the sun gets up, then I have a bar and weights in the garage, which builds muscle whilst losing weight. I built both of these up from scratch over a year. And I don't need a gym subscription or to get into the car to go to one.  Being able to exercise from the front door, or in the garage or garden, means it's difficult to justify not doing it.

Other wisdom, from experience ..
    .. drink only, or mostly with meals - don't drink on an empty stomach, its not good for your blood sugars.
    .. cut down a lot on other easily absorbed sugars - cake, biscuit, dried fruit, banana, tropical fruit - eat berries instead, supermarket frozen are really inexpensive, and have almost the same vitamin content as fresh.
    .. cut down on carbohydrate - potatoes, unless you eat the skins, pasta, eat wholemeal bread only, and if you can make it yourself, then you're in control of additives. I make bread with no sugar and a gram of salt to a single loaf, and occasionally croissants, but with half the butter. Jumbo oats for porridge is a great breakfast filler with the berries above.
    .. try and shift the balance away from carbohydrate - start a meal with vegetables or salad, I have a carrot and stick of celery.
    .. don't eat between meals, this regulates your digestive cycle, and pretty much ensures you don't get 'caught short' on a run.
    .. there is no need to cut out anything completely, just alter the balance - the 80% idea rules again
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters