DAW with decent built in Instruments

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    TTony said:

I'm wanting to move away from Apple, but really like garageband.  I need a new computer and was looking at Macs but you get much more in the PC world. 

I think I have a cunning plan.

Run OSX in a VM on a PC.
    :D

The cunning plan to be tested tomorrow to see if it actually works, but as I've just spoken to someone who's done precisely that, and demonstrated that the OSX VM can exercise full control over all the components in the host PC, I think it should work ...
    IME VM can be a little slow and laggy , unless you have a really high spec PC.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    TTony said:

I'm wanting to move away from Apple, but really like garageband.  I need a new computer and was looking at Macs but you get much more in the PC world. 

I think I have a cunning plan.

Run OSX in a VM on a PC.

The cunning plan to be tested tomorrow to see if it actually works, but as I've just spoken to someone who's done precisely that, and demonstrated that the OSX VM can exercise full control over all the components in the host PC, I think it should work ...
    Latency will be horrendous.
  • You could consider another solution - something like Native Instruments Komplete and then the DAW choice is less critical.

I use Studio One but in all honesty I couldn’t tell you much about the stock instruments as I’ve hardly ever used them. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    IME VM can be a little slow and laggy , unless you have a really high spec PC.  

octatonic said:

Will find out tomorrow ..
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Try to see the daw like windows, you expect some essentials but the really good stuff you have to get seperately, you can get amazing free vsts.

The daw choice should be flexibility and how it will work for you not what ad ons it comes with :) 
    TTony said:
    octatonic said:

Found out.

It wasn't good news
    :(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited April 2018
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    octatonic said:

Found out.

It wasn't good news

Yep. Virtualisation is a no-go for realtime applications, really. It can be bad enough with just one operating system in the mix, but with all the overheads of two (plus the virtualisation penalties involved in context-switching on mainstream CPUs) there's basically no chance.

If you really want Logic, then you could consider installing OS X on your PC, Hackintosh-style. Of course, it's likely that'll be at least as much work as just finding a DAW that works for you and getting some free virtual instruments; in the latter case you'll end up kissing a few frogs before you find your princess, but in the former case you'll likely spend a few weeks searching arcane tech stuff before you've got a rock-solid system.

Either way...it's time vs money. Pick one ;)
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream said:

you could consider installing OS X on your PC,
    That's currently what I'm attempting
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    octatonic said:

Found out.

It wasn't good news
    :(

You really should trust us sometimes... :)
    Right.

I'm very happy with my iPad for doing what I do on that.  I'm pretty happy with my MacBook Pro for doing what I do on that (which is my primary on-site work machine).

Beyond those devices, the only other Apple stuff that I want to deal with are those that grow on the trees in our garden.

Life is too short to waste any more time trying to get OS X working on the PC configuration that I've got here.

Hello Reaper.
    :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    TTony said:
    Right.

I'm very happy with my iPad for doing what I do on that.  I'm pretty happy with my MacBook Pro for doing what I do on that (which is my primary on-site work machine).

Beyond those devices, the only other Apple stuff that I want to deal with are those that grow on the trees in our garden.

Life is too short to waste any more time trying to get OS X working on the PC configuration that I've got here.

Hello Reaper.
    :)
    octatonic said:

You really should trust us sometimes... :)

<space for hire>