Drunken eBay: Tiny Terror

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I woke up on Saturday morning to find I’d won an Orange Tiny Terror and it’s on it’s way to me. What can I expect from this little beast? Loud enough for a loud band through an efficient cab? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’m a big fan of the 112 TT combo, there’s just something really cool about the sound. 

I used one for rehearsal a fair bit and it was great. Really good recorded too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    Loud enough, yes. No clean headroom or anything other than midrange at that volume, but you may like that...

I heard a chap using one on Saturday - it/he sounded excellent. They don’t work well for me though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    edited April 2018
    I have the head, I haven't used it in a while as my son has it but one of my favourite setups was just the TT my Strat and a 1x12, plenty of sounds there and lovely compression into drive at rehearsal and and yes gig volumes. At the time I was using it a lot I wasn't using humbuckers though so I don't know how good that will be, fine I expect.  Of course it won't do pristine cleans but that's not what it is about. I don't think I'll ever sell it as it's such a great compact tone package and handy to have around. 

p.s. Looking at your post again I suspect it will only keep up with a loud band with a very efficient speaker or speakers and with quite a lot of drive in the sound. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • ICBM said:

I heard a chap using one on Saturday - it/he sounded excellent.
    Never thought I'd hear you say that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I heard a chap using one on Saturday - it/he sounded excellent.
    Never thought I'd hear you say that!
    Even more amazingly, he was using tons of reverb and delay in front and it wasn’t muddy! The amp was breaking up slightly, but not fully overdriven.

With a Jazzmaster through a Harley Benton 1x12” V30 cabinet - also mic’ed, but the cab was easily audible out front.

It just goes to show that different players find different rigs work for them - I couldn’t have used it without total frustration at the compression and lack of clarity, but it worked perfectly for him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I don't need cleans so that's OK. I don't think it will be able to compete with the Matamp but it could be a nice rehearsal room amp or perhaps a two amp set up...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Ive had a few of the 12 combos i really like them. Have a listen to Gary Moore in this clip, hes really letting rip. heck of a lot of tones in there.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    The TT handwired is one of my favourite amps ever. I'm sure the normal one sounds great too.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I had one for a while, it was kinda cute and had a great sound. Unfortunately it just had the one sound and in a fairly limited volume range (like many other amps in fact). It will just keep up with a drummist but only if you want screaming overdrive. No clean headroom and soon limited dynamics and the single tone control is limiting too. In short a one trick pony, great trick and I loved that one sound, but not versatile enough for my needs so I moved it on.

The TT handwired is one of my favourite amps ever. I'm sure the normal one sounds great too.
    They do sound quite a bit different. The hardwired one uses much higher-quality components.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I had one of the early Korean ones for a while. Unfortunately, I was in a loud rock band at the time and it struggled so I only used it at home and for a couple of recording sessions. Great sounding amp but, as has been said, it's a bit of a one trick pony. Good trick though.