Am I mental ?

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Emp_Fab said:

WTF do they do for £650?

I expect they'll throw a prostate exam in while they're at, though.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/Medical-examination-information/

No prostate check, but the examination lasts four hours.
    You reckon you're going to pass a four hour medical despite being concerned that your health would prevent you from piloting  an aircraft? I could probably write anything in this sentence as you only seem to take on board viewpoints that agree with you and I bet you've stopped reading by now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited April 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

The disgruntled pilots alleged that all white trainee pilots were able to secure jobs even before they completed flight school and that up to 90 percent of pilots working in the country come from outside Namibia."

the article seems to state that there are qualified local pilots who can’t get jobs because of favouritism towards incoming whites...I’m glad to hear you are happy to contribute to the continuation of their disgruntlement for the benefit of yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    a 4 hour medical? just as well there's no prostrate exam, you'd be walking bandy for a month!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited April 2018
    VimFuego said:
    a 4 hour medical? just as well there's no prostrate exam, you'd be walking bandy for a month!!!

Anyonecould pass a prostrate exam.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    after 4 hours, I reckon you could pass an elephant.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

For £650, you should be refusing to leave the premises without having a prostate exam.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24265
    Garthy said:
    Emp_Fab said:

WTF do they do for £650?

I expect they'll throw a prostate exam in while they're at, though.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/Medical-examination-information/

No prostate check, but the examination lasts four hours.
    You reckon you're going to pass a four hour medical despite being concerned that your health would prevent you from piloting  an aircraft? I could probably write anything in this sentence as you only seem to take on board viewpoints that agree with you and I bet you've stopped reading by now.
    There's absolutely no logic in your statement.  What you're effectively saying is "it is pointless attempting anything if you have concerns that you might fail".  The world would be in a pretty shit state if we all had that approach don't you think?

I don't "reckon I'm going to pass a four hour medical".  I have no idea if I would pass it!

FFS. 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I'll be with some pilots this morning. Want me to ask anything while I have the opportunity to use some of their knowledge?
    Very kind of you mate.  I've only just seen this so I suspect I've missed the boat.. or plane!

I can't think of anything I could ask to be honest.  Right now it's all about seeing if I am healthy enough to meet the required medical standard and there isn't much anyone can do for me on that front.  If I clear the medical hurdles, you could ask them if they'd like to have a whip-round for me  =)

What line of work brings you into contact with groups of pilots then, if you don't mind me asking?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    "I’ve been doing a lot of research and one thing that is strongly advised is to get a ‘Suitability test’ done by an aviation psychologist.  Apparently most schools insist on them before accepting you and certainly most airlines will perform their own on candidates.  Thank Andreas Lubitz for that..."

I think you've sh1t out right there dude : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    @Emp_Fab I work for the MOD, mostly with the RAF. To be honest I was grilled about something today by one of the OC's and forgot too. 
    If you do think of anything let me know because they're in and out of my office daily and they're a good bunch.
    edited April 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

The disgruntled pilots alleged that all white trainee pilots were able to secure jobs even before they completed flight school and that up to 90 percent of pilots working in the country come from outside Namibia."

the article seems to state that there are qualified local pilots who can’t get jobs because of favouritism towards incoming whites...I’m glad to hear you are happy to contribute to the continuation of their disgruntlement for the benefit of yourself
    You think I'd turn down a job offer from an airline, when I'd spent well over £50K on training and flying was my lifelong dream, because the locals were being discriminated against in my favour ?

Are you smoking something or living in la-la land ?  I absolutely guarantee that none of them would sacrifice their dreams for the same reason.  In fact, I'd be stunned if anyone, anywhere would turn down the dream job of a lifetime because other candidates were being discriminated against - you included.  Anyone claiming otherwise is just virtue signalling IMO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28045
    Emp_Fab said:

You think I'd turn down a job offer from an airline, when I'd spent well over £50K on training and flying was my lifelong dream, because the locals were being discriminated against in my favour ?

I don't think anyone thinks you would

The question is whether you should.

:) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I thinks it pretty much academic either way tbh 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Have you had any previous success in a highly skilled professional role?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    I would say so, but what's that got to do with anything ?  Pilots aren't brain surgeons you know.
    Sporky said:

I don't think anyone thinks you would

The question is whether you should.

:) 
    The question is really whether anyone would, otherwise it's veering towards bullying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I thinks it pretty much academic either way tbh 
    Very likely.  The odds are stacked against me.  But... to quote Disraeli; "Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    That's the spirit
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited April 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    I would say so, but what's that got to do with anything ?  Pilots aren't brain surgeons you know.
    You do know how employment works, right? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom