What a waste of an evening

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
I sat in and watched the final round of the Masters on Sunday evening.  I have always felt that the Masters is the weakest major golf tournament as the number of players capable of winning the event is a lot smaller than other major tournaments.  Weaker too as the event is always played at Augusta National golf course.  Not helped by 'everyone' saying how lovely the course is and that they would like to play there.  Every professional says this mantra as the Augusta National committee has denied access to people who comment on the course or the organisation of the event.  All the commentators live in terror as their output is continually scrutinized - it is not unknown that top TV presenters of golf programs on US golf channels, are refused permission to broadcast the event.

Augusta National is in the deep south of the USA and, to say the least, its membership is [probably by invitation only] mainly white Americans.  I only watched the damn thing on BBC 2 as there was the possibility of Rory McIlroy winning the event.  As it happened he had a bad day on the course, slipping down the field early on and not being able to produce a late run to rocket up the leaderboard.  The BBC takes it feed from the American channels and the very frequent advertisement breaks taken on American television resulted in frequent shots of the azaleas flowering all around the course.

I stopped watching golf on TV many years ago.  All golf, apart from the Open Championship and the Ryder Cup.  I doubt I will watch the Masters again.  As I said, what a waste of an evening.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2018
    Any time spent watching golf is wasted time. How come you didn't know that?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    The Ryder Cup a few years ago was nailbiting.

The ANC are disgusting cavemen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited April 2018
    Mark_Twain said:
    Golf is a good walk spoiled

My Nan lives near the "Royal Liverpool Golf Club", which isn't even in Liverpool!   Bad new is the hotels are always full when we want to see her, good news is the local area seems to have improved since she's been living there, due to theoney going through local shops.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Radio 5 ( and I don't even like golf).
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Rocker said:
    I sat in and watched the final round of the Masters on Sunday evening.  I have always felt that the Masters is the weakest major golf tournament as the number of players capable of winning the event is a lot smaller than other major tournaments.  Weaker too as the event is always played at Augusta National golf course.  Not helped by 'everyone' saying how lovely the course is and that they would like to play there.  Every professional says this mantra as the Augusta National committee has denied access to people who comment on the course or the organisation of the event.  All the commentators live in terror as their output is continually scrutinized - it is not unknown that top TV presenters of golf programs on US golf channels, are refused permission to broadcast the event.

Augusta National is in the deep south of the USA and, to say the least, its membership is [probably by invitation only] mainly white Americans.  I only watched the damn thing on BBC 2 as there was the possibility of Rory McIlroy winning the event.  As it happened he had a bad day on the course, slipping down the field early on and not being able to produce a late run to rocket up the leaderboard.  The BBC takes it feed from the American channels and the very frequent advertisement breaks taken on American television resulted in frequent shots of the azaleas flowering all around the course.

I stopped watching golf on TV many years ago.  All golf, apart from the Open Championship and the Ryder Cup.  I doubt I will watch the Masters again.  As I said, what a waste of an evening.
    You could not be more wrong. Sunday at The Masters always produces drama that no other major can. 

Its revered and most pro’s favourite major for a reason. 

Even though ugh I hated the outcome it was still an evening full of drama. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Rocker said:
    I only watched the damn thing on BBC 2 as there was the possibility of Rory McIlroy winning the event.
    Ah, the joys of vicarious living.

Rocker said:
    Augusta National committee
    A weird bunch, for certain.

I would extend this to any participatory game/sport. 
    Be seeing you.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Hang on, hang on - You watched it on BBC2?  In ROI?

Have you paid your license fee?   ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    That's nothing - I wasted 6 weeks watching Marcella...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    joneve said:
    Rocker said:

You could not be more wrong. Sunday at The Masters always produces drama that no other major can. 

Its revered and most pro’s favourite major for a reason. 

Even though ugh I hated the outcome it was still an evening full of drama. 
    The back nine in every major championship is where pressure shows and how players react to this pressure determines the winner who, as a result, is a worthy Champion.

But look at the field and you cannot fail to see how weak the Masters is compared to the Open.  Or the US Open.

IMHO staging three majors in the USA is simply wrong. Retain the US Open, and the Open and move both the Masters and the PGA (renamed of course) to a rota of countries such as South Africa, China, Japan, India, Australia, Korea, mainland Europe, the Middle East, Canada and keep an option for staging one in South America. Golf is seriously big in those countries/regions and is growing at a very fast rate. It is still big in the US and GB&I but look at the makeup of the European Ryder Cup team. Mostly Europeans which accurately reflects the growth in the game in these parts, less and less GB&I players make the team as a right these days. 

The major golf championships should, in some way, reflect the current state of the game and not where it was fifty years ago. Moving the Masters and the PGA is the obvious way to show that the golf powers see and understand how the game has developed and grown. The possibility of that actually happening is, sadly, zero.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

Watch someone hit a little ball into a hole from a long way off, not in an amazing one off shot, but repeatedly hitting it until it finally goes in.
    Watch them do it 72 times over four days.
    Watch another 45 or so people also do it 72 times.
    Watch another 45 or so people also do it 36 times. 

What part of anyone finds that an interesting thing to watch?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    axisus said:

Watch someone hit a little ball into a hole from a long way off, not in an amazing one off shot, but repeatedly hitting it until it finally goes in.

Not every shot is interesting. But the players strategy and implementation is. And how he recovers fro a bad shot or a poor bounce of the ball. And his control of distance and his management of the breeze nd bad weather. Basically the question is: has he brains and does he use them? To play golf you need to use your brain....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Rocker said:

To play golf you need to use your brain....
    I'd watch telekinetic golf. I bet every now and then a golfer's concentration would slip and someone in the audience would have their trousers catch fire or their head explode.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I used to like A Round With Alliss, you used to get really cool people like Douglas Bader on it. 

My father loved golf so I appreciate there is a lot of strategy and skill that isn't apparent. But if you don't understand all that it is just people waving sticks at little balls.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Garthy said:

The ANC are disgusting cavemen.
    Racist ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Rocker said? To play golf you need to use your brain....
    To play golf you demonstrably have not used your brain otherwise you would be in the pub.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    Rocker said? To play golf you need to use your brain....
    To play golf you demonstrably have not used your brain otherwise you would be in the pub.
    Wrong! After the round you repair to the clubhouse (aka the 19th) for some liquid refreshment 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Rocker said:
    axisus said:

Not every shot is interesting. But the players strategy and implementation is. And how he recovers fro a bad shot or a poor bounce of the ball. And his control of distance and his management of the breeze nd bad weather. Basically the question is: has he brains and does he use them? To play golf you need to use your brain....
    Golf? a strategic game? You having a laugh?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Rocker said: To play golf you need to use your brain....
    I'd have thought it would splatter the moment you swung a club at it.
    @fandango ;
    Anyone who thinks can see that golf is a strategic game. You hit the ball to the place that makes your next shot easier. Easier that is, than it would be if you hit it to the wrong place (into trees or rough for example). That is why it is a strategic game, such a great game. Try it and let us know how you get on. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Though I'm pretty sure that Golf Story on the Switch is better than real golf.

It's even got battle-rapping.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."