Plastic in the sea killing wildlife

What's Hot
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12303
    The amount of needless packaging is ridiculous, been trying to reduce ours for ages,  unfortunately ive found that Aldi are one of the worst offenders for this. A bunch of bananas does not need to be in a plastic bag ffs
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    It is not just killing wildlife (which is horrible in itself) but is ultimately killing humans too. It's a carcinogenic, and scientists are finding traces of it in the fish we eat, not to mention other industrial pollutants like PCB's. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2018
    I agree with the cause, and we may have been a primary perpetrator in the past, but we continue to beat ourselves up about what we have little control over - 95% of plastic in the oceans is coming from counties with little, or no wastewater treatment facilities.

Western governments need to put pressure on the governments of the major polluting countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    MtB said:
    ..................... 95% of plastic in the oceans is coming from counties with little, or no wastewater treatment facilities.
    Norfolk?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    MtB said:
    I agree with the cause, and we may have been a primary perpetrator in the past, but we continue to beat ourselves up about what we have little control over - 95% of plastic in the oceans is coming from counties with little, or no wastewater treatment facilities.

Western governments need to put pressure on the governments of the major polluting countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html
    Little control? Consumers are in control. If enough people stop buying plastic products then industries will soon take notice. There is also a lot that can be done to raise awareness and educate more people.

Yes the UK is not polluting on the same scale as China, but that doesn't mean we get to sit back and point the finger at other countries. We still have a problem dumping tonnes of plastic into the ocean, and we (and USA) can set an example for developing countries by changing our ways. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2018
    And you really think that the 95% are going to listen to the 5% anytime soon? The 95% are 10 to 20 years behind in the consumer boom. The 680 million Chinese rural population haven't started creating plastic waste yet.     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe not, completely different culture over there with regards to wildlife and the environment, big mountain to climb and nowhere near enough time to do it. However, put it this way - in 40 years time do you want to look back on your life and say I tried to help and make a difference, or do you want to look back and say I did nothing? We can at least try.

Until January this year, the UK shipped two thirds of its plastic waste to China. Since China blocked us we have a huge backlog building up because we need to dispose of it ourselves somehow and currently do not have the means to do it. So lets see those plastic pollution stats again in 12 months time and see if we can still feel as smug.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15484
    martinw said:
    MtB said:
    ..................... 95% of plastic in the oceans is coming from counties with little, or no wastewater treatment facilities.
    Norfolk?
    bit harsh there, the Norfolkions are still using plastic as jewellery.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    VimFuego said:
    martinw said:
    MtB said:
    Norfolk?
    bit harsh there, the Norfolkions are still using plastic as jewellery.
    I didn't think they'd heard of Bakelite yet
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom