Modding the Original 50's Strat...yes already!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited April 2018 in Making & Modding
The Original 50's Strat popped through the letterbox yesterday and a wonderful thing it is, however I found the pickups to be quite underwhelming, so this morning saw the bonnet up and some tinkering...
First I replaced the pressed tin string tree with a Fender round jobby, just cos I like the look, then scratchplate off and replaced the stock pickups with Mojo 60's while I was there I decked the floating trem......I'm happier than I was, there is an improcement, but I might steal the Fat 50’s from my Squier and give them a try, oh and also changed the plastics to cream, a huge improvement in the looks dept IMHO, the white looks so cheap!

Before

http://i.imgur.com/JCtMjJf.jpg

After

http://i.imgur.com/3blS35K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7KiOFDL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/66tvNLP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cVjZzgJ.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I gotta admit I don't "get" this look. Original ones tend to have slightly faded pickup covers, but nowhere near to the extent you see on so many reissues
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would have given the pickups on a £1,500 guitar more than a day before I ditched them. The cream covers and knobs look way better though.

Not sure I condone sunburst
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, if I was changing the plastics it would be for more authentic 50s ones... proper Bakelite. These were bone white but had a different shape to the pickup covers (more rounded over) and the knobs. Age makes these go slightly yellow but not the prostheic limb colour of some guitars.

"Aged" cream/white looks more like the vintage Jap reissues - its a cool look but not quite authentic.

Not surprised you swapped out the pickups, though... sorry Fender but other people are making better, and more authentic sounding pickups right now. And most of them are on this side of the Atlantic.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited April 2018
    The cream suits me, I hear what you are saying about changing pickups after a day, but they just had to go.......however the Fat 50's were great in neck and middle positions, but still not happy with the bridge, so it all came apart a third time and Ive installed a Bare Knuckle Sinner with backplate at the bridge. I'm happy now, although next string change will see a Treble bleed* installed as its a bit muddy with volume turned down......

* @WezV I know it's not treble bleed but I can't remember the correct term, please don't beat me!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I like the cream, my preference is a parchment guard with cream, less of a stark difference than white/cream.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    paulnb57 said:

* @WezV I know it's not treble bleed but I can't remember the correct term, please don't beat me!
    Magnus Magnusson: What is the correct term for treble bleed?
    paulnb57: Pass.
    MM: Yes, that is correct.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I’m not the sort to pick up anyone on incorrect terminology, especially if it’s related to electronics 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    I'm happy now, although next string change will see a Treble bleed* installed as its a bit muddy with volume turned down......

Best Strat mod I did was adding a bass cut in place of the useless 2nd tone control. Into a Tweed Champ, you can go from filthy flub to nasty bite. Maybe give it a go while you’ve got the bonnet up. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Fast work, Paul!

And lovely strat :)
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    paulnb57 said:
    I'm happy now, although next string change will see a Treble bleed* installed as its a bit muddy with volume turned down......

Best Strat mod I did was adding a bass cut in place of the useless 2nd tone control. Into a Tweed Champ, you can go from filthy flub to nasty bite. Maybe give it a go while you’ve got the bonnet up. 
    bass cut sounds like a good idea. How did you wire it? (Of course I could just google wiring diagrams but that wouldn't guarantee that I find the one that seemed to work for you on a Strat and Tweed Champ and thus would be likely to work for me with the same.)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Looks terrific. Great job!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    I read this thread aghast, believing you were referring to an 'original' 50's strat. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Much prefer cream parts over the white.  I did exactly the same thing to my Jimmy Vaughan Strat.  The only other mod I'm planning is replacing the trem block with a steel one.  One that has a better fit on the trem arm!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    My biggest gripe is the string holes in the back cover make restringing difficult when the trem is decked, the cover holes partially cover the holes in the trem block.....

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    paulnb57 said:
    My biggest gripe is the string holes in the back cover make restringing difficult when the trem is decked, the cover holes partially cover the holes in the trem block.....
    ..So take off the cover mate    ;)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Yes, but it leaves holes...can't cope!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    paulnb57 said:
    First I replaced the pressed tin string tree
    According to the Fender product description, the Original Series Fifties Stratocaster is mainly based on a '59. The "wave" string retainer/guide first appeared in 1956. The height spacer was added in 1959.

Nevertheless, I agree that the round item looks nicer.

paulnb57 said:
    changed the plastics to cream
    Fifties Fender plastic parts do not tend to discolour that much AND they all seem to discolour by the same amount. The colour that Fender calls Parchment is closer to the reality.  

paulnb57 said:
    white looks so cheap!
    A good many things about vintage Fender instruments ARE cheap!

paulnb57 said:
    I found the pickups to be quite underwhelming.
    This was normal on the pre-2012 Fender AVRI series. Things improved greatly on the 2013 - 2017 AVRI guitars. Strange that they should have gorn orf again.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Im possibly not finished yet and am looking into more period correct aged parts as the cream is a bit too cream, although it will never be "correct" perhaps a little more subtle. I bought it really for the neck, the burst and the Nitro finish.......It will end up how I would like it to be, I can't see how it would upset the purists as its a pastiche anyway.....only a nod to the era.....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    paulnb57 said:
    the cream is a bit too cream, although it will never be "correct" perhaps a little more subtle.
    It is difficult to say what is "correct" in any event. For example, the plastic cover of every Seymour Duncan Antiquity Stratocaster pickup that I have experienced first hand has been a different shade of snotty grey-green - à la vintage Kluson keystone tuner buttons.

The best fake vintage colour that I ever saw on Stratocaster pickup covers was achieved on late Nineties white ones by a guy who had corrosive sweat issues and - at that time - smoked at least sixty cigarettes a day. They were properly kippered.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "Kippered"......Excellent choice!