Pedal Power supplies

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
I'm interested in the views of y'all in regards to powering pedalboards and whether ANY of the cheaper brands of power supply on the market today are worth serious consideration.

Like many of you I'm sure, I will not hesitate to spend big on a power supply if it means a stress free/quiet board as this is the priority for me, but am I overlooking some of these cheaper brands in favour of the reliable usuals I've purchased in the past: Voodoo Labs, Cioks, Truetone etc.

So I have two questions specifically please:

1) Do any of the cheaper brands truly offer isolated outputs (many say they do but actually don't) are silent and reliable?

2) Does my new board in actual fact require isolated outputs?
- I understand that it is generally digital pedals that can bring noise (?) so could I get away with the following on a non-isolated supply:

Boss GE7 EQ
Vertex Boost
RC Booster
Nobels ODR1
Basic Audio Fuzz
Strymon El Capistan ** potential problem?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 464
    I wouldn't think that board would generate that much noise, but it's hard to tell whether there would be a problem until it's all hooked up. Some pedals just don't sit well in front of others, don't like a certain power supply etc. The El Capistan might require a couple of outputs on most normal power supplies - I'm guessing the mA draw is quite big.

If you do decide to go isolated, the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior (not the normal one!) and the Vitoos DC-8 (there's also a Harley Benton version of this on Thomann) are isolated - I use both of them on my board, fantastic bits of kit for about £30 each.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Harley Benton JR
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Buy this:

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Fame-DCT-200-Multi-Power-Supply-/art-GIT0019066-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMmWnP2y2gIVTpPtCh09LwZqEAQYASABEgJQ1fD_BwE

Cheap as chips and as quiet as anything will will ever be. Fully isolated outputs, variable outputs... all you need. Only issue is it’s size, it ain’t small. I have it powering one of my boards. No issues whatsoever.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    That Fame is HUGE. Either the Harley Benton PP Jr or the Vitoos ISO will do the job at a decent price .
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    Is the Fame too bulky to throw under a pedalboard ?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited April 2018
    Mate, the Fame is really tall, just a big hunk of metal. It's too big to go under virtually every well-known board. You could make one yourself out of an Ikea shelf and then make sure it's high enough for the Fame to fit underneath, but if you're using a Pedaltrain or suchlike, it would have to go on top.

From the pedals you've listed, using the HB PP Jr the ODs could work off a single output via a daisychain and the GE-7 off another. The El Capistan needs 250mA so you'd need a voltage doubler using a Y-cable to take two of the 150mA outputs into one.

Alternatively the Vitoos ISO can do it all for a remarkably low price. I got one of the ISo4 units and it's extraordinary value for money. See here:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VITOOS-ISO4PLUS-Compact-Guitar-Effects-Power-Supply-8-Isolated-DC-9V-Output-C0H8/202280002529?hash=item2f18d3e3e1:g:18QAAOSwnCxaw2dt

• randersonranderson Frets: 187

Thanks for all the info guys. Yes the Fame looks great value but it is just not going to fit under my board. I'm going to opt for the Vitoos DC8 which seemed to get a lot of love on another thread here too.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to get a power supply that does the job at a 1/4 of the price..

I'll report back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends how many pedals you use but I would never scrimp on a cheap power supply, I use the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior (only use 3 pedals) but I can't be dealing with any live issues hum or noise. Have been using it 6-7 years now and never encountered any issues.

They're not as expensive as say the Voodoo Labs ones or the T-Rex classic so I would say its a good investment. I used to use the Diago Micropower 9v power supply which I got for about £30 but the connector shielding wrap thing is so brittle it broke within a few months. I sent it back to have it exchanged for a new one but it did the same thing again so I ditched it.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Gig rig generator and distributor and never have to worry about it again.  One on eBay at the mo 
    Just seen a pic from the Rackdoctor in LA. His client has opted for a Decibel Eleven Hotstone supply, £50 cheaper alternative to the Voodoo Labs PP2+ here in the UK. He wouldn't be putting them on boards if they were awful. Might also be a contender.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.maxguitarstore.com/products/burkey-flatliner-six/
    I've got two of these beauties under my PT Classic Jr, they are an absolute bargain now, I bought mine through the same retailer, excellent customer service too. Fully isolated, noise free and made in the Netherlands.  
  • The only issue It wouldn't be able to power your El Capistan, each outlet runs at 100mA only. The El cap needs 250mA 
    The only issue It wouldn't be able to power your El Capistan, each outlet runs at 100mA only. The El cap needs 250mA 
    Yes that is the issue with various power supplies, so many pedals now require higher than 100mA. Good price on the Flatliner though..
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    I'm using the £30 Vitoos and it's working just fine.  8 x 500ma isolated outputs.  

Much less sturdy than the Voodoo lab ps though and the 4 each side configuration might make placement a bit tricky.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Personally I’d not do it. I’ve owned my CIOKs for several years and never had any problems at a gig. It’s just perfect. 
  • More than happy TrueTone CS6 user here. Plenty of mA output options split either end of the unit and low profile for flat PTs. Silent too...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Numpty query: to date I've powered my board with a couple of basic Diago units (now recalled) on daisy chains.

I was going to wait out the replacement ones arriving, but some other changes mean I'm thinking of getting a "decent" power brick to cover the lot, but don't want to go nuts on cost.

But ... as long as you keep under the mA on each line of a multi-output box, is it OK to daisy chain those (assuming all pedals on one string are the same voltage)?

e.g. if you've got a 9v 100mA output, presumably it's OK to stick two pedals at 40mA on one line?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5133
    ^ yes. Any pedals you daisy chain off a single output obviously won't be isolated from each other, but as long as the total current draw is less than the maximum that output is rated for everything should work.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Ta. It's one of those things where you know it, but you don't know it, so paranoia kicks in before parting with money. Particularly as I suspect that time pressures mean there's going to be some severe budget creep.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    randerson said:
    Just seen a pic from the Rackdoctor in LA. His client has opted for a Decibel Eleven Hotstone supply, £50 cheaper alternative to the Voodoo Labs PP2+ here in the UK. He wouldn't be putting them on boards if they were awful. Might also be a contender.

I've been using one for a good while now.  Been absolutely rock solid.  Has the higher current outputs for digital pedals as well, so you could run the Strymon without needing the current doubler cable.  I'm running two of the big Strymons off of my Hot Stone Deluxe.