Pedal Power supplies

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited April 2018
    Okay so the Vitoos DC8 arrived today.

At first I was really impressed running 4 analog pedals back to back - absolutely no noise. Then I plugged in a Digital delay pedal into one of the 'isolated' outs and voila, it definitely introduced more noise.

Just to add - the DC8 comes with three isolated outputs affectively. Output 1 and 2  are isolated from each other and isolated from 3 to 8. Neither combination of running the digital delay in 1 or 2 and the analog in 3 to 8 or vice versa, had any affect on diminishing the noise. 

When I say noise I mean double the amount of hiss  experienced with just the analog pedals plugged in, rather than a whine or pulsating digital type sound.

Should this be the expectation or should  it introduce no more noise than I was currently experiencing with the four analog pedals plugged in? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    randerson said:
    Okay so the Vitoos DC8 arrived today.

At first I was really impressed running 4 analog pedals back to back - absolutely no noise. Then I plugged in a Digital delay pedal into one of the 'isolated' outs and voila, it definitely introduced more noise.

Just to add - the DC8 comes with three isolated outputs affectively. Output 1 and 2  are isolated from each other and isolated from 3 to 8. Neither combination of running the digital delay in 1 or 2 and the analog in 3 to 8 or vice versa, had any affect on diminishing the noise. 

When I say noise I mean double the amount of hiss  experienced with just the analog pedals plugged in, rather than a whine or pulsating digital type sound.

Should this be the expectation or should  it introduce no more noise than I was currently experiencing with the four analog pedals plugged in? 

---is that delay pedal just noisy, full stop? i.e. is it noisy on all power supplies? Is the noise there even when the delay is bypassed?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited April 2018
    That's odd on the Vitoos. I have the ISO4 (8 outputs) and I ran a bunch of digital pedals (Mobius, Source Audio Nemesis), compressors, dirt pedals, fuzz etc and it was absolutely silent. Is the delay pedal fine on other supplies?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I had an Octopus under a Pedaltrain Classic Jr, but I've just swapped it to a Harley Benton one because I needed to power a 12V pedal too.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    That's odd on the Vitoos. I have the ISO4 (8 outputs) and I ran a bunch of digital pedals (Mobius, Source Audio Nemesis), compressors, dirt pedals, fuzz etc and it was absolutely silent. Is the delay pedal fine on other supplies?
    Is it specifically digital pedals that cause the issue though? I've had issues with the Boss DD3 and high pitched whining noise on some power supplies. I've found the TC Flashback X4, Digitech Ventura Vibe and Boss DD500 much more forgiving with power supplies
    edited April 2018
    Interesting. The digital pedal isn't the highest quality (Ibanez EM5 Echomachine) but it was silent in my Voodoo Labs Iso 5. I'll try with the Strymon El Capistan and see.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    I have a Burkey Flatliner 6. Bought over a decade ago.
    Very satisfied, excellent though expensive.

http://www.burkey.nl/Flatliner SIX.html

edited April 2018
    OK so here are the final observations for the Vitoos DC8:

If I plug an analog pedal (RC Booster in this case) into one of the six available outputs that are isolated from the A & B outputs and plug in a DIGITAL pedal (tried the Strymon El Capistan and the Ibanez Echomachine) into one of the same six outputs i.e. NOT isolated from the other pedal = no noise at all, perfect.

If I move either digital pedal into one of the isolated A or B inputs away from the Rc Booster which I would have thought preferable = hiss increases markedly.

The hiss also increases if I move ANY pedal (digital or analog) into A or B alongside a pedal in one of the six. 

The hiss also seems to increase as new pedal are added.

In conclusion: I don't know quite what to make of the above, but all in all, the hiss though noticeable isn't that bad and this supply could be good for home use generally. My concern would be using it on live stage where electrics can be a bit more variable and could increase the noise level. As such I've returned it and instead gone for a Decibel 11 Hotstone Deluxe which should arrive shortly.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2190
    Fishboy7 said:
    The graphics look like something from a Rorschach test..
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I've currently got one of the Harley benton ones on my Pt - I got a 12V pedal and my Octopus only has 9V outputs, so I swapped over.

The HB one has the advantage of an on/off switch, which is handy.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    randerson said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    The graphics look like something from a Rorschach test..
    just a Rorschach test?