Fuzz search continues - some gut shots included

teradaterada Frets: 5113
So since my last post regarding my search for Fuzz pedals in a mini enclosure, I've been on a bit of a journey!

I have tried the following:

Fuzz Face Mini Germanium
Fuzz Face Mini Silicon
Fuzz Face Mini Hendrix
Ibanez Fuzz Mini
Fredric Effects ICBM 78
Nano Big Muff Pi
MXR Hendrix Gypsy Fuzz
MXR Hendrix Fuzz Face
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker (my own one)

In the shops I have A-B'd these against my Rotosound Fuzz, and none of them have the clarity alongside the fuzzy goodness - almost as if I'm hearing them through a filter.

So I thought I'd post a gut shot of my other fuzz in the hope that I may be able to track down something that would work better or - dare I think it - potentially try to build one myself  :o . I can see that my rotosound has Toshiba AC128 transistors in it, not sure if they are used in other pedals?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    No idea whether the circuit bears any relation  to the picture but the Lovepedal Bone Tender is worth a listen.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I think the rotos are close to the mk3/4 tonebender so things that'll be similar-but-different include (but by no means limited to):
    -Fulltone soul bender
    -EFE Lucifer Rising
    -DBA Fuzz War

Fuzz Faces work best (IME) run into a dirty amp/amp-like OD. They benefit from the compression and it helps the even out the frequencies when you clean them up. You should try a nicer one than the MXR/Dunlop ones, or a Meathead/One-knob clone.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    I'd love a fuzz that actually sounds like my favourite recordings
    I've tried Germanium fuzzes and they sound to dark and Silicone sounds too bright. The fuzz in my helix just sounds crap.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    bbill335 said:
    I think the rotos are close to the mk3/4 tonebender so things that'll be similar-but-different include (but by no means limited to):
    -Fulltone soul bender
    -EFE Lucifer Rising
    -DBA Fuzz War

Fuzz Faces work best (IME) run into a dirty amp/amp-like OD. They benefit from the compression and it helps the even out the frequencies when you clean them up. You should try a nicer one than the MXR/Dunlop ones, or a Meathead/One-knob clone.
    yep...thats a Mk3/4 tonebender...which is more of a fuzzy distortion rather than a fuzz face or early tonebenders.

my recommendation is still the farm pedals leaf fuzz in a mini enclosure.

but also as @bbill335 ; says, try better versions, the mass produced fuzz pedals dont always live up to expectations. The smaller builders who take time to tune the pedals create amazing sounds that mass produced in a lot of cases doesnt get close to. But again...a mini pedal is very hard to come by....most go for bigger boxes!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Looks very close to a "Batman" logo Mk IV to me, with preset pots for bias and to set the maximum volume, possibly a 4K7 resistor in place of the usual 3K3 on the emitter of Q2 and a larger value capacitor (usually 220nF on a Mk III/IV) feeding the base (via the Fuzz control) of Q3.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373

I've tried Germanium fuzzes and they sound to dark and Silicone sounds too bright. 
    It makes a huge difference when you run them before an OD or overdriven amp. I'm loving my Broadcast set to almost-clean for stacking a fuzz face into 
  • Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited April 2018
    Have you seen Expresso FX ? You can chooose the transistor and build spec etc. I haven't owned one, just came across them in fuzz research.
    https://www.expressofx.com/products/germanium-fuzz/
    Theres even one for sale in the classifeds.

I have an MI Audio Neo Fuzz which has AC128's - if one ever comes up for sale its definitely worth grabbing...
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I tried the thorpy veteran silicon at the weekend and it is now my highly recommended fuzz. Vintage fuzz with the correct options to bring out the best in fuzz. An incredible pedal for clean, drive, push, boost and fuzz.