PIP home assessment

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

The wife is stricken with Fibromyalgia and for most of the time is plagued  with all over body pain....for starters

We have received notice that they have granted a home face to face session, any tips guys or what tae expect?  

I have done the homework but you just never know....

You can PM me if you're shy  :)

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    1. Tea
    2. Chocolate Hob Nobs.
    3. Buckfast.

Sorry, but I'm in a bit of a rush today.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Squeaky wheel and all that.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The main thing I remember about PIP assessments was that it's a commissioned out service so it's done by people who don't neccesarily have a health or social care background. So don't assume they know what something means and be as specific as possible. I've read some anecdotal stuff online and it seems to back up the idea that it is very scripted and the more detail you can offer the better. People will tend to want to avoid discussing what they think of as personal stuff ( like continence) with non medical strangers but it's needed ( as applicable). 
    Seems to be some suggestion that if you have supporting evidence ( like a GP letter) they won't take them off you, even if they do I wouldn't rule out emailing copies as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2018
    Given recent experience regardless of how ill you are they will sign you off, and you have to live on virtually no money until your appeal goes through, during this time they will tell you to sign on job seekers, which if you did they would use against you as to claim it you must be fit for work.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    supporting evidence (like a GP letter) 
    Have this ready. 

it's done by people who don't neccesarily have a health or social care background. 
    Correct. Their job is to act as gatekeepers between state funds and the individual's rightful entitlement to some of those funds.

underdog said:
    regardless of how ill you are, they will sign you off. you have to live on virtually no money until your appeal goes through.
    This is now the norm.

Thank the people in this documentary. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62iv46

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    thanks guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Check out this site, it's got lots of useful info -

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    +1 for the benefits and work website, and I strongly recommend you pay the subscription fee to be able to download the members guides. They are superb, the PIP one will really help you. Good  luck, and don’t give up.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Don't let her answer the door. This is a good resource for uncovering sneaky tactics:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewforum/2/

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    The assessment will start before they ring the door bell.  they will be looking at the entrance way, are there steps, is there a level entry way, is its gravel driveway etc.    They will time how long it takes to answer the door. You answer the door.    Be there for the assessment and make sure you wife does not move out of a chair.  If asked to, its too painful. Do NOT leave the room and keep notes of what happens.  If you have a way to record the visit do so though you should ask permission and they may refuse.  Have something else recording audio anyway and transcribe what happened afterwards.   Ask to go through the comments they make before they leave and correct anything that is wrong.   The people attending are not experts in the condition so have information available for them to take away,  print out information from NHS websites and support groups on the effects of the condition, get evidence in writing from your GP and pass this to the examiner (keep a copy), basically anything that makes their job easier as they are on a strict timescale.

Both benefits and work and rightsnet are good for extra details but also have a look at 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

and if you dont get the decision you want 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

Good luck and hope it goes well.

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @hootsmon please update this thread with any info and outcomes. Good luck.
    ^ Will do and thanks guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • My mrs is currently waiting for a visit from pip.
    Cut a long story short - 2 years ago her brother died and within a couple of months she had a major breakdown trying to deal with it and has been with the crisis mental health team along with the community mental health team for two years.
    The CMHT have been appalling, to the point where i’ve put a formal complaint in however as they class me as the primary carer (i still work full time around her situation) they put me in contact with a carers service who promptly told us and helped apply for PIP (having never claimed for anything before i had no idea what pip was even).
    The support worker helped us complete the paperwork in january, and we then had an appointment for a home assessment 3 weeks ago.
    This hasnt happened yet tho as they rang us on the morning to say they couldnt make it due to sickness.
    I rang them back up and they couldnt give an alternate date stating we’de hear by post (nowt so far).
    The support worker said there would be an assessment carried out by a member if the DWP and a nurse who would do mobility tests etc.
    The support worker is adament he will attend as he’s aware of her case and can assist with supporting info during the assessment.
    He says that theyll want to see supporting documents, meds, etc etc to back up the application.

all the best with that Bro
    tae be or not tae be
  • Thx @hootsmon - the support worker has said that basically it’ll be in the same format as the original application pack we sent in with one of them inputting her responses into a computer whilst the nurse conducts some tests.