fret size info

questions about fret width- is it normal to have a crown  width size of 3mm on an acoustic guitar ? Also I  need to change   6 frets the other frets have a crown with of 3mm and I have some spare fret wire  with 2mm width would it be ok to use different width sizes on the same guitar? , both fret wire have a crown height on 1mm .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    If you are replacing the first few frets I'd take wire from the other end of the board and put the thinner wire on the highest frets.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    If you are replacing the first few frets I'd take wire from the other end of the board and put the thinner wire on the highest frets.

well actually its from the 12 fret to the 20th fret  so it would be 8 frets in total .  I guess it just saves me money and time but wanted to make sure before installing them that it is ok .
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'd get fretwire to match. It isn't that expensive and I think it would look a bit naff having different sizes.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    axisus said:
    I'd get fretwire to match. It isn't that expensive and I think it would look a bit naff having different sizes.
    It can work well having a smaller wire on higher frets, especially when there are 24 of them

but yeah, I would just buy a bit
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    The wire you describe sounds similar to dunlop 6130 which is kind of like the low/wide "70's Gibson" wire.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!