NGD: Bargain of 2018?

What's Hot
KahunaKahuna Frets: 90
Just picked this up from a friend, who had his eye on my Schecter Blackjack 006. A quick 70 mile drive later, and she's mine.

One tiny issue is the trem arm broken off in the block, but it's an easy job to replace the block once I find one the right size.

The trem issue is offset by two things:

1. The pickups are a set of Bare Knuckle Irish Tours, and
2. It cost me a grand total of £200 (which is how much I paid for the Schecter)

Hands up all those who think I'm happy.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KahunaKahuna Frets: 90
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Bargain and tasty looking!
    Enjoy!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Ah, the infamous Foto-Flame Strat :).

The pickups make that a very good deal... the stock ones were truly awful on them. If it’s not already done the switch is worth replacing too.

You can also get rid of the cheap soft alloy block which will be another major upgrade if you replace it with steel - ironically it’s because the block is so soft that the arm thread bites in hard and almost welds itself into place, then snaps off when you try to get it out. It used to puzzle me why so many broke until I actually had it happen while trying to get a stuck arm out of one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The consensus amongst people who've owned or played them is that they were considerably superior to USA Strats of the time. Having played both, I tend to agree. The neck is sublime. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Bargain!! Let me know when you want to move it on and i'll give you £200 for it ;-)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Rule 1 - Never tell the FB what you paid for a guitar ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    Kahuna said:
    The neck is sublime. 
    Came in here to say the same thing - fella at work has one, and while I'm not a fan of the finish, the neck is a pearler.
    If anything ever happened to the finish (the cracks that sometimes occur...although, it it hasn't by now, it probably won't) I'll just buy a Warmoth body and transfer everything over.  Still be a bargain.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I’d echo the comments about the bridge block by @ICBM - a new one made of decent cold rolled steel will improve the sound dramatically too imho.
    Nice score.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    I’d echo the comments about the bridge block by @ICBM - a new one made of decent cold rolled steel will improve the sound dramatically too imho.
    Nice score.
    Yeah, just need to make sure I can find the right size, it being a MIJ and all.  
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Drop a mail to Kev Hurley (kevinh66@hotmail.co.uk ) - he'll make you one. His blocks are superb.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Kahuna said:
    The consensus amongst people who've owned or played them is that they were considerably superior to USA Strats of the time.
    That’s getting a bit silly .

The necks are certainly fantastic like all MIJ Fenders, but the rest is not even close to the quality of a USA Standard Strat - even a 90s one with a ‘blockboard’ body - all the stock electrics and hardware apart from the machineheads is total junk.

You’ve got great pickups already and the bridge is the other important tone upgrade... if you replace the switch and preferably the rest of the electrics as well - for reliability mainly - *then* you’ll have a guitar which is arguably as good as a US one.

A friend of mine had one for years, it was his favourite of several Strats he had. I always thought it had a ‘soft’ tone which I didn’t like, although that was probably down to the bridge since I had replaced all the electrics for him. (The pickguard will need the holes opening out for full-size pots.)

I think the bridge is a standard vintage reissue 56mm spacing, but check. I had to replace the block on my friend's one too - not the one I snapped the arm in, his was just stripped - but he wanted it kept the same so I used another alloy one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    but it's a clown burst strat!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I agree about the neck. In fact, it's the only remaining original component! I've replaced literally everything else.

• switched the hardware to Gold because... er, I can't remember - SRV, maybe?
    • replaced pickups with Kinmans (originally AVn blues set, currently a set of HX Impersonators, I think)
    • rolled steel block, from Kev Hurley.
    • replaced body with lightweight black thing I picked up on here, I think
    I call it "Trigger's Strat"

R.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's the rough cost of one of his blocks? 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Kahuna said:
    What's the rough cost of one of his blocks? 
    I paid £25 + postage in 2015.

Not sure if he's still doing them - I know he stopped at some stage.

R.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I picked up a foto flame about a week ago as it happens. Never knew much about them but tried it out and it played great, felt great and sounded great. It's a HSS with a Floyd which is not everyone's cup of tea but is certainly not like anything else I've got and I've always been a big Sambora fan. The newer American Fenders are great but they're so damn pricey these days. This felt literally every bit as good for about the price of a classic vibe.

Yes, the photo top is a bit gaudy and they are, as a range, a bit maligned. However, I think for the price it was an absolute bargain.

OP, hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.
    Not put mine down yet. It needs new pots, switch and jack (the pots are 500k not 250 as BK recommended),  it it still has 5 lovely and distinct tones. Just sounds like a rorty Strat tbh. Big fan of chunky necks now. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I like it. Certainly looks more expensive than  £200 definitely worth it with the bare knuckles!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    The thing I like about the BK pickups is that it still sounds like a Strat in all 5 positions.