Brussels cover-up and collusion on Putin's Gazprom abuses

What's Hot
So like all large Empire's the EU is corrupt. Good to see Germany getting cheap gas at other EU members expense.

From the Telegraph:

Vladimir Putin’s abusive stranglehold over European gas supplies has been laid bare by explosive EU documents, exposing deliberate violations of EU law and a pattern of political bullying over almost a decade.

The longest investigation in EU history found that the Kremlin-controlled energy giant Gazprom has used its enormous power to pressure vulnerable states in Eastern Europe, and to fragment the EU’s unified energy market with coercive pricing policies.

The report suggests that Germany has been enjoying a sweetheart deal with Gazprom, gaining a competitive advantage in gas costs at the expense of fellow EU economies and leaving front line states at the mercy of Moscow's strong-arm tactics.

Hundreds of pages leaked  from the European Commission paint an extraordinary picture of predatory behaviour, with Gazprom acting as an enforcement arm of Russian foreign policy. Bulgaria was treated almost like a colony, while Poland was forced to pay exorbitant prices for imported flows of pipeline gas from Siberia.

The stash of files slipped to Euro-MPs – in a very rare breach of secrecy rules – amount a political bombshell. It is highly embarrassing for the EU's exalted competition directorate. The papers imply that Brussels learned the full truth but is nevertheless turning a blind eye as it prepares to reach a cosy understanding with Moscow, disregarding fundamental principles of EU law.

Read the full article here .. explains what is going on the Baltic states ..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/12/leaked-eu-files-show-brussels-cover-up-collusion-putins-gazprom/

My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32823
    No surprise. It also ties in with the EU attempting to prise Ukraine away from Russia, since large new shale gas reserves were discovered there about ten years ago. Reducing the leverage Putin has over the EU with gas pricing is probably right at the top of the EU priority list.

Guess which part of Ukraine those shale gas discoveries are in...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 6256
    ICBM said:
    No surprise. It also ties in with the EU attempting to prise Ukraine away from Russia, since large new shale gas reserves were discovered there about ten years ago. Reducing the leverage Putin has over the EU with gas pricing is probably right at the top of the EU priority list.

hmmm, tricky, but I'm going with, erm, ooooh, the underground part.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    VimFuego said:

hmmm, tricky, but I'm going with, erm, ooooh, the underground part.
    :)

Well, I suspect that's where it will stay for the forseeable future anyway...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 17
    I'm not surprised that Germany got a sweetheart deal here, seeing that former chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sits on the board of Gazprom and is a personal buddy of Putin's. And I wonder what backroom deals he was part of while being head of state for him to get in a position to being able to rake in the big money at his current Gazprom job.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 4547
    ICBM said:

my thoughts as well - and it partly brings us back to a Russian backed Syria and gas pipeline from Qatar - Russia wants to maintain the strangle hold on the EU supply - This creates two issues for the west - One is  we become dependent on this supply and can almost be held to ransom as and when required - The other is that it adds additional wealth to Russia and that is something the USA certainly doesn't want -In part the reason the USA, along with the Saudi's and OPEC, reduced the price of oil a few years ago was to try and undermined any additional wealth Russia would acquire from selling oil at top end prices

Going back to the Ukraine - It was why Hilary Clinton and Nuland helped to undermine a democratically elected pro Russian PM, to replace them with a pro Western leader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @Fretwired - will read in full in  a bit - very interesting - think I've heard rumours/comments in the past
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11477
    Fretwired said:
    So like all large Empire's the EU is corrupt. Good to see Germany getting cheap gas at other EU members expense.

From the Telegraph:

I'm glad this stuff is out there. 
    Clarity over quantity.  
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1417
    edited April 17
    ICBM said:

my thoughts as well - and it partly brings us back to a Russian backed Syria and gas pipeline from Qatar - Russia wants to maintain the strangle hold on the EU supply - This creates two issues for the west - One is  we become dependent on this supply and can almost be held to ransom as and when required - The other is that it adds additional wealth to Russia and that is something the USA certainly doesn't want -In part the reason the USA, along with the Saudi's and OPEC, reduced the price of oil a few years ago was to try and undermined any additional wealth Russia would acquire from selling oil at top end prices

Going back to the Ukraine - It was why Hilary Clinton and Nuland helped to undermine a democratically elected pro Russian PM, to replace them with a pro Western leader

I thought the main aim of the Saudis / OPEC reducing oil prices was to undermine fracking in the US, which has much higher extraction costs.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16962
    jpfamps said:

I thought the main aim of the Saudis / OPEC reducing oil prices was to undermine fracking the US, which has much higher extraction costs.
    Absolutely right.

And there was no oil pipeline planned for Syria. The pipeline from Qatar was blocked by Saudi Arabia.
    jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:

I thought the main aim of the Saudis / OPEC reducing oil prices was to undermine fracking in the US, which has much higher extraction costs.
    stand corrected if wrong - but with escalating costs of a war in Yemen I understand the Saudi's were pee'd of with the USA for trying to influence oil prices and keeping them low - Yet since the early 70's the Saudi's and Opec + the USA have largely controlled the worldwide oil prices - Partly via the petro dollar, with all oil to be sold world wide in $'s - So trouble for those that don't sell in $'s (Iraq, Iran, Libya etc etc) - In return USA supplied the Saudi's with arms and the offer to protect against the Saudi's enemies - In a nut shell the U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia with manufactured dollars. In return, the Saudis would plough billions of their petrodollar revenue back into USA government debt/bonds - The interest the Saudis made on this debt, was used to 'build' Saudi's cities and infrastructure, via major USA companies like Bechtel - Massive complex loop in reality

I understand though that the Saudis have invested in USA fracking - But equally the west is trying to restrict the value of natural assets of Russia which are seriously vast - Remains to be seen how powerful the BRICS nations will become - All are buying gold by the shed load and China buying less, or no 'worthless' USA dollars/debts/bonds, any more - Talk is of how much longer, not if, but when, the $ will continue to be the worlds major currency - Any change from that and the USA will no longer be the top dog on the world stage

far more complex of course and I dare say select stories are false and manufactured accordingly to create a different path - maybe we all have acquired distorted views to hide us from the true path - if indeed there is one
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3003
    I've heard talk of a pipeline through Syria a few times either to Qatar or Iran

problem is... it'd have to go through either Saudi or Iraq..
    both options look like a non-starter to me
    so that makes little sense to me
    play every note as if it were your first
    The projected pipeline was for gas, not oil - from Qatar to Turkey (and then the EU) via Saudi Arabia and Syria.

It does seem that the timeline doesn’t quite fit with it being a direct cause of the Syrian civil war, but I wouldn’t rule it out as a factor.
    Do some digging and you'll find the Syrian pipeline plan never existed. Good article on Wikipedia about it.

Here's another ..

https://iakal.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/the-myth-of-the-iran-iraq-syria-pipeline/

The plan existed - what’s been disproven is that it was a cause of the Syrian civil war, because the timing doesn’t fit. Nevertheless any supply of gas from the Middle East to Europe would indirectly harm Russia, so it’s still in their interests for nothing like it to ever be built.
    Fretwired said:
    Do some digging and you'll find the Syrian pipeline plan never existed. Good article on Wikipedia about it.

Here's another ..

https://iakal.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/the-myth-of-the-iran-iraq-syria-pipeline/

ICBM said:
    The plan existed - what’s been disproven is that it was a cause of the Syrian civil war, because the timing doesn’t fit. Nevertheless any supply of gas from the Middle East to Europe would indirectly harm Russia, so it’s still in their interests for nothing like it to ever be built.
    There is certainly a plan for regime change - but that can never be the official reason for any such war/campaign - After that it can be a can of worms, false flags etc to justify the means for those who will ultimately benefit - all part of the intrigue - I've read the above article @fretwired - But also seen similar other articles on similar sites that say otherwise - Agree that main stream media is not the best place to obtain the facts - Yet such other sites can confuse the issue as well

Propaganda and false flags are nothing new
    ICBM said:
    The original pipeline was to run from Iran through Syria to Iraq to supply natural gas to Iraq. It was dubbed 'The Friendship Pipeline' .. there was talk of linking it to Europe but nothing materialised as the costs were too high making shipping the gas uneconomic. The whole thing collapsed when the US imposed sanctions on Iran. Not 1KM was built.

The Qatar pipeline was to go through Saudi and into Turkey and up into Europe. The Russians also had a plan to create a pipeline through Turkey. The Qatar pipeline was blocked by Saudi Arabia so was a non-starter. The Russians abandoned plans as the costs were too high and the project too risky - the pipeline could easily be attacked - given the volatility in the area.
    Fretwired said:

Here's another ..

ICBM said:
    There is certainly a plan for regime change - but that can never be the official reason for any such war/campaign - After that it can be a can of worms, false flags etc to justify the means for those who will ultimately benefit - all part of the intrigue - I've read the above article @fretwired - But also seen similar other articles on similar sites that say otherwise - Agree that main stream media is not the best place to obtain the facts - Yet such other sites can confuse the issue as well

Propaganda and false flags are nothing new
    The original western intervention in Syria was for regime change which is why Russia became heavy handed so quickly. Had the west agreed Assad could stay the escalation of the war could have been contained and by now there would have been peace.
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    The original pipeline was to run from Iran through Syria to Iraq to supply natural gas to Iraq. It was dubbed 'The Friendship Pipeline' .. there was talk of linking it to Europe but nothing materialised as the costs were too high making shipping the gas uneconomic. The whole thing collapsed when the US imposed sanctions on Iran. Not 1KM was built.

The Qatar pipeline was to go through Saudi and into Turkey and up into Europe. The Russians also had a plan to create a pipeline through Turkey. The Qatar pipeline was blocked by Saudi Arabia so was a non-starter. The Russians abandoned plans as the costs were too high and the project too risky - the pipeline could easily be attacked - given the volatility in the area.
    I'm surprised you don't hear more about serious attacks on pipelines - the whole area is volatile with different 'tribes' undermining each other, be it from the same country or different countries
    edited April 18
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:

I'm surprised you don't hear more about serious attacks on pipelines - the whole area is volatile with different 'tribes' undermining each other, be it from the same country or different countries
    There are lots - Nigeria is a hot spot. They occur in the Middle East but news rarely gets out. Here's one in Iran:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Separatist-Group-Claims-Attack-On-Oil-Pipelines-In-Iran.html

The US has a lot of attacks as well by environmentalists.
  • ewalewal Frets: 740
    Not surprising given a Russian foreign policy key objective is EU disintegration (possibly to be replaced by a Eurasian empire with Russia at the heart). Yes - I am reading Timothy Snyder's book The Road to Unfreedom.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/16/vladimir-putin-russia-politics-of-eternity-timothy-snyder
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11477
    @ewal I would give James Patrick a read as well. 

https://www.byline.com/journalist/jamespatrick/column

He's been right on the money with regard to his comments about Russian actions in Western politics. 

And lo and behold, another one whose memory suddenly kicks in... 

Clarity over quantity.