Trying to find the culprit

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
edited April 2018 in FX
Last night I played a show as a dep on guitar. I was using the lead guitarist's rig and all was fine. The other guitarist was using my wireless (Line 6 Relay G50) and for some reason his TU-2 tuner wasn't picking up the guitar signal. He played the set with a cable and it picked it up, blaming my wireless.

After the set (as we were headliners we had no band after us) I changed the connection and bypassed the tuner (took it out the chain) and plugged it into the next pedal in the chain (a Maxon OD808) and there was sound again. 

If he played the set with a cable into the tuner it can't be that that was the problem, but if I took it out the chain then it can't be my wireless or patch cable that ran from the receiver?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Could it be the buffer in the tuner interacting with the wireless transmitter to cause the issue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited April 2018
    I use the exact same set up as him (receiver into TU-2) if I have to use it (just with my own TU-2) and never had any cut outs. Either he has a faulty tuner or there's a dodgy connection somewhere.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Well, I have a Smooth Hound wireless and my TU2  definitely has problems reading the signal. It doesn't stop the signal but it's noticeably different than tuning up using a cable. People report no problems with the TU3. 
    Didn't get very far googling this other than someone who had drop out using a G50 and his tuner was a TU2. 
    I have no idea what or why but there may be something in a TU2 that doesn't like wireless and dislikes yours more than it dislikes mine. 

Or just user error. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • When I use it with my own tuner its fine, no issues. I might swap it out for my Polytune and see if that helps. Very strange why it only seems to happen in his rig. Just when he used a cable it worked (supposedly, I didn't really see from the other side of the stage).
  • So I troubleshooted the rig, through both tuners, my TU-2 and his. Both worked fine so I don't know what the issue was. I did spot the last connection the patch cable went into the send of the NS-2 he uses before the front of the amp which initially resulted in no sound but I fixed that. Still doesn't explain how he managed to play the set with a cable though.

The bassist uses a Line 6 G10 wireless, I suspected that could have been interfering with my transmitter but surely its a different model and wouldn't cause cross-talking? 
  • Played a few shows since this issue and we have now discovered the bassist's G10 receiver was picking up my G50 signal. Even when I disconnected the TU2 out of the signal chain the guitar was coming out of his bass amp. Cue a reset of his receiver and both of us had our desired signal paths sorted. The G10 was obviously picking up the same frequency when scanning. So from now on we have to make sure I turn my wireless on first, so it will scan the appropriate frequency then on goes his G10 and all is good.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I only use my TU2 at home now but I've used it with my X-Vive wireless several times with no problems.
  • Yeah the TU-2 had no relation to the issue it was the separate receivers picking up each other when the G10 was switched on first it was picking up the G50 frequencies. We just have to remember when setting up the G50 transmitter must be switched on first!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom