Random music discoveries - what have you found that's good?

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
I buy a lot of music on CD in charity shops - I still like physical CDs, and unlike when you're in a record shop you tend to come across stuff you're not actually looking for... or certainly wouldn't feel like trying at £10+ if you didn't know it was any good. I've discovered a lot of interesting music that I otherwise wouldn't have at all this way - you very often *can* judge an album by its cover, and I would say I've got a success rate of at least 90% when I'm buying stuff I know nothing about. It does help that I'm fairly eclectic in my tastes, but it helps to know that at £1-£2 an album the worst that can happen is it goes in the donation bag for next time...

Anyone else do this sort of thing? If so, what have you discovered this way?

This week's for me - Lissie, Catching A Tiger

I'd never heard of her, and from the cover I wasn't sure if it was going to be horribly commercial or quite interestingly alternative. Turned out to be much closer to the latter - quirky country-ish pop, nicely produced and with some good songs.

And failures... the all-time top of the list is Train. I bought their first album before I'd discovered what they were like. I don't think I even made it all the way through, which I usually try to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    The sounds of this summer have been from Canadian band 'Big Wreck'.
    Check out the album 'Albatross'.
    One of the best rock albums I've heard in yonks.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Lissie's pretty good. My pick would be The Envy Corps. Supported them a few years ago expecting indie try-hards without any songs but actually one of the best things I've ever seen, and jolly nice guys to boot. Their albums Dwell and It Culls You are both stunning.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Currently enjoying James LaBrie's solo stuff (cheers Nick!)...Completely not what I was expecting, and incredibly awesome. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited October 2013
    This week's random discovery...

Haven - 'Between The Senses'.

I'd never heard of them. I quite liked the look of the cover, although there was not much info on it apart from that the album dates from 2001 and was produced by Johnny Marr - I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or if they were going to be a bit of a late-to-the-party sub-Oasis-type effort. No... they're really rather good, they remind me a lot of Puressence only less depressing :).

They appear to have split up after record label problems - sadly, at least on the evidence of this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A good one this week…

The Autumns, from 2004. Never heard of them either!

Hard to even categorise - something like an American Suede, but not as 'affected'. (I like Suede, that's not a put-down.)

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My random charity shop discoveries are always books.

Random music finds come for me via Spotify. My fave so far came when I was after some oud music. What I got suggested was The Spy from Cairo which is dub reggae bass and beats, middle eastern strings, the oud playing all the melodies, all performed by (I think) an italian gypsy based in New York.

Vive le difference.
  • I used to check amazon for their absolute cheapest jazz and world CDs, and was lucky enough to get some gems, like a bargain Charles Mingus boxset, and a record by Elek Bacsik, but also a few stinkers that were so bad I've even deleted them from my hard drive!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Garaj Mahal. Found them via the "if you like group x then you might like group y" function on CDBaby. They have Kai Eckhardt on bass, he's from John McLaughlin's Trio days. They play very funky, jazzy, world, hybrid music and are really rather good.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    Lissie ?  shes the bird that sounds like Stevie Nicks ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014
    bertie said:
    Lissie ?  shes the bird that sounds like Stevie Nicks ? 

Yes, nice FM cover here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OltcXMV-9Vk

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Been watching Treme recently. Think The Wire for New Orleans musicians... It's brilliant and I've "discovered" this.

Only 50 odd years behind the times. :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I've been on a Steel Panther trip the last few weeks.
    And Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I saw the Autumns doing a support slot a few years ago. They covered the Cocteau Twins song Garlands and did a very respectable job!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited March 2014
    The Autumns - The End - first track on the album from around 2 and half minutes in - lovely stuff. Good find @ICBM

Previously known as stevebrum
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Found this today, surf-Bach.

• ICBM;51367" said:
    This week's random discovery...

Haven - 'Between The Senses'.

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/013/348/0001334850_500.jpg

I'd never heard of them. I quite liked the look of the cover, although there was not much info on it apart from that the album dates from 2001 and was produced by Johnny Marr - I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or if they were going to be a bit of a late-to-the-party sub-Oasis-type effort. No... they're really rather good, they remind me a lot of Puressence only less depressing :).

They appear to have split up after record label problems - sadly, at least on the evidence of this.
    Great band. They're still all knocking about Manchester/Stockport in various guises.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I saw these guys in the 80's, it was just like this...the cover band I was in at the time went on to do this song and several others by this band,

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

edited June 2014
    Good day today in the charity shops… I bought:

Alexander - Alexander

Earthling - Radar

Eon - Sum Of Parts

Hal - Hal

Inner Shade - 4 Corners

Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata

… none of which I have ever heard of to the best of my knowledge! And for which I apologise if anyone thinks I should have ;).

(As well as another half-dozen albums from artists I know already.)

All good, apart from Inner Shade which turns out to be bland muso jazz-pop. (I was expecting something more African :).)

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited June 2014
    Angus Stone: I wasn't aware of this artist until this track came on the last episode of Suits (a series I should hate but I love).

btw- big Lissie fans in this household.

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    Black Pistol fire.

like The black keys - but better.