Random music discoveries - what have you found that's good?

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I think my biggest discovery was many years ago. Really great pop music did not end with Abba. A lot of great pop music has been made and is being made in Nashville. For some reason it is being marketed as "Country Music".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited June 2014
    Lucius. Only heard them when I got the most recent single.
    This live performance is stunning. Look past the hipster look, this track has great vocals. Shirelles type harmonies.
    I beg you to give this at least 5 minutes of your time. 

White Denim. Not new to me but this performance on Jools a few weeks back was stonking.

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Behind the times as ever, I watched Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus on the iPlayer the other day (it's still there if you've not seen it). The film was splendid of itself - pretty eye-opening for me as much as anything - but there was a great song on the soundtrack by Cat Power: Cross Bones Style.  Probably no revelation to anyone here, but I'd never heard of her, or the song before: I must have played that twenty times since I saw the film, & found myself looking out the CD on eBay a few days later.

And then a week after I watched the film, by chance I found a CD (Transnormal Skiperoo) by the narrator/ star, Jim White (no relation), in our local Oxfam for £2. This too was excellent :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    edited June 2014
    I thought this was a bit special. Usually can't stand this kind of music, but this just works.

Looked like the only interesting thing on a compilation CD I saw on a market stall. Result.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited June 2014
    Came across this:

I always associated Andrew Gold with MOR pants from my childhood, but he did an album of Psychedelic pastiches in the 90's and it haas some genuinely good stuff on there!
    This one's (obviously) a brilliant homage to The Byrds. Spot on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    Watched a YouTube clip of bloke building a speaker cab. I really liked the background music which, after a bit of shazam and google turned out to be - 'Blues for cubby' by The Brought Low. Good old Skool Riffing

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    This week's Completely Random Find - Good Shoes, Think Before You Speak

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bXslkH7FL._SY300_.jpg

I guessed roughly what it was going to be like from the cover and the 'handwriting' style script inside - it's quirky alt-pop, not "great" music but well-enough done and quite amusing. And *much* better than most of the better-known bands in that sort of style...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just catching up, Miriam Makeba was an amazing woman, big star in the US at one point too and largely forgotten now. Good find for a charidee shop @ICBM.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2014
    Totally random music find, a CD Baby email the other day because I bought an album years ago and the artist has stuck another track up which I bought on chance... absolutely love it.   Voice gives me goosebumps.  Just a guitar and vocals. 

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/onameyer2

• RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited October 2014
    Seen a few gigs recently including the start of the new Johnny Marr tour which was awesome, but on the Thursday I went to watch Chantel McGregor who might not be new to many of you... she won Best Blues Guitarist this year and best female vocalist last year...

She put on a great show, and my god.... the guitar work was awesome. Hadn't heard much of her stuff but varied between rock/heavy rock and prog. She also did a Robin Trower cover of Daydream.  Cue lots of Youtubing Robin Trower and embarrassment for not having heard of him...

She was also supported by a good acoustic folkish duo... Rita Payne. Again very very good! (quite Damien Rice-y)

Cue Youtube videos...

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Was listening to Radio 3 on the way into work one morning a few years ago, and they played a tune that grabbed my attention. Checked the playlist as soon as I could and it turned out to be a male a cappella group called Chanticleer, and the tune was Axion Estin from their Sound In Spirit album (which I immediately bought). That seems to be mostly religious stuff, but it turns out they have different stuff in their repertoire as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lH-b5lDB9s&list=UULa8WdKAdt49Q_mE0Tp407g

Haven't found Axion Estin online (their version sounds different from other versions I found).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• I love this (and the EP it's taken from) more than anything I've heard in a long time.

Also really enjoying the Warpaint album.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Picked this EP from Tina Dico up at a car boot sale..
    Just stunning stuff.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Lucius. Only heard them when I got the most recent single.
    This live performance is stunning. Look past the hipster look, this track has great vocals. Shirelles type harmonies.
    I beg you to give this at least 5 minutes of your time. 

There's some wanky facial hair going on, but the vocal :)
    ICBM said:
    This week's Completely Random Find - Good Shoes, Think Before You Speak

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bXslkH7FL._SY300_.jpg

I guessed roughly what it was going to be like from the cover and the 'handwriting' style script inside - it's quirky alt-pop, not "great" music but well-enough done and quite amusing. And *much* better than most of the better-known bands in that sort of style...
    Re Good Shoes, I played with a confusingly-similarly-titled band, Goodbooks, at the time all this sort of stuff was everywhere. They're mates and former bandmates of my band's old singer, got signed to Sony, released one album with no marketing outside NME and got dropped swiftly after. Good album though, if a little pretentious!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    A good one this week... and an odd coincidence.

Psyche - The Hiding Place

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2013-05/1368291787_0front.jpg

I guessed it was going to be some sort of electronica, and I was right. But with a vocalist who is slightly reminiscent of Michael Hutchence.

The odd coincidence is that a few days before this I was watching the classic Logan's Run for the first time in about thirty years... and the first track on this album is called Sanctuary, and the album intro opens with a sample of "Logan 5, approach and identify".

[/Twilight Zone]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

A sad one this week…

Alice Martineau - Daydreams

I'd never heard of her, but from the album cover picture I was expecting something quite intense, singer-songwritery sort of thing. Dead right - and it's very good.

But then I decided to look her up on Wikipedia and the first thing I see is "Alice Katherine Martineau (8 June 1972 - 6 March 2003) was an English pop singer and songwriter." What - she was 30?

The rest goes on to say:

"Martineau was born with cystic fibrosis, a genetic disorder that causes chronic lung and digestive problems. Due to her belief that her condition would prevent her from singing, Alice didn't initially pursue her musical ambitions: after taking singing lessons,it became apparent that her constant coughing had actually strengthened her diaphragm. Despite her worsening health, she played live gigs regularly in London until 2001 and was offered record deals by several companies, only to have them withdrawn when executives discovered that she was seriously ill and on the waiting list for a heart, lung and liver transplant."

In 2002, Martineau wrote an article in The Daily Telegraph's Saturday magazine about the wait for a life-saving triple transplant. The next day, her manager approached Sony Music with a demo tape and she was signed to their label in late 2002. Alice completed this debut album quickly as most songs had already been written over the previous three years. Her debut single, "If I Fall", was released on November 11, 2002, with the album Daydreams following a week later on November 18. Tracks on the album were produced by a number of people, including Marius De Vries. A promotional preview CD containing one track from her album and four short previews was also circulated.

Sony had planned to release a second single, "The Right Time" on February 10, 2003, but decided to cancel the release due to Martineau's poor health.

Martineau remained on the waiting list for a triple heart, lung and liver transplant for more than a year and a half, before dying at home on the morning of 6 March 2003. A documentary, The Nine Lives of Alice Martineau, was made by the BBC Television several months before her death and broadcast shortly after her death."

Damn :(.

RIP

I never saw the documentary but I'll look it up.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    A friend of mine was in a theatre production with the lead singist of this band. 

They never made it, partly, I think, because their setlst was inconsistent: ballad, tub thumper, western/country, ballad etc.  You get the idea.

World class band though.

• Bought a "New Orleans Funk" compilation recently. This was on it and it's amazing.

• And this