Random music discoveries - what have you found that's good?

What's Hot

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    sparrow and the workshop. Supported Blitzen Trapper who were also a nice discovery

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2015
    I heard the second song here on the radio a few months ago and really liked the groove and the structure of the song and then yesterday i heard the first song here 'Crash' and i was blown away by the lyrics................Honestly it made me stop dead in my tracks and take complete stock of my life since my teenage. I havn;t heard a song so directly and related to it's lyrics so much in a very long time, if ever. I almost feel like this song found me !

Scott Stapp - the former lead singer with 'Creed', who incidentally i really liked when they were going.

• Discovered a group called Patterns in Peru from some Peruvian guy in a chatroom....They don't have many tunes but I love this.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Well there's a very good charity shop near me where every so often someone dumps a load of interesting CDs. 

This last week I bought the Best Of Aztec Camera, which is not so much a musical discovery because I've always liked Roddy Frame but never owned one of his records, so it was a great reminder of what a stunningly good songwriter and guitarist he is. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72257
    edited January 2015
    Skarloey said:

This last week I bought the Best Of Aztec Camera, which is not so much a musical discovery because I've always liked Roddy Frame but never owned one of his records, so it was a great reminder of what a stunningly good songwriter and guitarist he is. 
    What a bizarre coincidence!

Among the 11 CDs I bought this week was... The Best Of Aztec Camera. I was actually listening to it right now, when the notification for this thread popped up!

I only had Love before, the single of Oblivious, and one of his solo albums. Totally agree about how good he is too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM  Great minds and all that... ;)

I was listening to mine this afternoon as well. 

I really like the track Spanish Horses which I hadn't heard before. There's some very tasty Flamenco style fretless bass playing on that. 

He's still going strong as well. I see from his website that he played the Barbican only in December. Had I known I'd have gone. That's doubled my determination to stick to my new year's resolution of going to a few more gigs. 
    I love the cover of Van Halen's 'Jump' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    This was randomly discovered yesterday; I've played it about a billion times since.  Dagenham is like downtown Lagos these days and I share with you the sound of up country 'Nam.

Sauti Sol -- "Sura Yako"  [as veg*n I don't like all that goat stuff in the video but I tell myself they're gonna swap it for a vegetarian haggis or something]

• Lol...
    Love this thread - always on the lookout for new music!
  • FYI singer in our band wants to do Lissie's "Sleepwalking" which I do think sounds good!
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited January 2015
    Went to see J Mascis in Cambridge last week. Obviously he was awesome but he also had an amazing support act. They are a male/female folk (holy crap I must be getting old) duo called Luluc. The singer looked very much like the blonde one in Homeland. Harmonies were just spine tingling. It was like they were singing with the same voice. I bought their new LP, Passerby which is lovely. I don't think I've been moved to buy a support act's LP since I saw The Jazz Butcher in 1986!!!!

Link to my trading feedback
    edited January 2015
    This week's charity shop purchases have been not so random but I swallowed my pride (I normally detest the Sting and all his works) and got a Best Of the Police. I found that I don't really like the early stuff (although De Doo Doo Doo... still makes me smile in a good way like it did when I was a kid) but I do like the later stuff. 

And then I got a copy of the Joshua Tree for old time's sake. I had the cassette when it came out and haven't owned it (or listened to it) since. 

Funnily enough my reaction to it this time around was the same as it was then: The opening numbers (i.e. the hits) I can take or leave, but the other tracks (give or take another couple) I really do like. 

When I first heard it as a kid I could not have said for the life of me how Edge got most of his sounds. Now I'm older I could probably write you an essay on what he's doing and how on that album, but that still takes nothing away from the fact that IMO he gets some magical sounds out of the electric guitar right there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Skarloey said:
    This week's charity shop purchases have been not so random but I swallowed my pride (I normally detest the Sting and all his works) and got a Best Of the Police. I found that I don't really like the early stuff (although De Doo Doo Doo... still makes me smile in a good way like it did when I was a kid) but I do like the later stuff.
    I think it's perfectly OK to like the Police, even if you detest Sting (ditto for me). The Police were a band of three very creative musicians who had extremely strong input into the material and didn't let him get away with anything. That's why they broke up :).

Skarloey said:
    When I first heard it as a kid I could not have said for the life of me how Edge got most of his sounds. Now I'm older I could probably write you an essay on what he's doing and how on that album, but that still takes nothing away from the fact that IMO he gets some magical sounds out of the electric guitar right there.
    In my opinion his tone on that album is probably the greatest ever clean Strat sound. The delayed single notes he plays just after 4'05" in With Or Without You are possibly the most beautiful sound I've ever heard an electric guitar make.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited January 2015
    Was comparing travel woes with a cabby in London yesterday (mentioned the queue to get through the Blackwall Tunnel on Sunday to see Queen/Adam Lambert) - he was raving about the Rival Sons who I'd never heard of.

Been listening all morning ......

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Got this on vinyl for 50p absolutely stonking 70s UK fuzz rock, just my cup ot tea

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ...despite previous Discussions on here devoted to them? Keep up man! I even heard them on the radio earlier today (they are Planet Rock favourites). \m/
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @icbm I've just checked those notes out on your recommendation.

You're not far wrong there! What a lovely sound.

For my tastes I prefer Vini Reilly from the Durutti Column or Hank Marvin on tracks like Atlantis or Wondetful Land, but they're all Strats and they've all got that crystal clear refreshing quality.

Bill Evans played in a similar way on Kind of Blue too (solo on Flamenco Sketches).
    A stunning amount of great random finds this week...

Asobi Seksu - Citrus. The name means 'play sex' in Japanese as I'm sure @Drew_FX will know ;), although the band are actually American with a Japanese singer.

Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time. I'd heard of them, but didn't know any of their stuff.

Blue States - Nothing Changes Under The Sun

The Sugarcubes - The Great Crossover Potential (a best-of collection). I know Bjork well but had never actually listened to her old band.

Surferosa - Shanghai My Heart

And 'nearly random' - artists I know one song from, but had no idea what the rest of the albums are like...

Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise

Cutting Crew - The Best Of

The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia

Plus a remastered Love - Forever Changes, a Roachford album (Feel) I didn't know, Alison Moyet - Raindancing, Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down, Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release, Santana III and two earlier volumes of Now That's What I Call Music I didn't already have.

16 albums for a grand total of £19. Charity shops win!

And not a duff one among them. Although there are some very duff tracks on the Nows :).

• Blackberry Smoke. I want to hate them because it's typical cheesy Southern rock. I like one or two of their songs though.
  • The Bama Gamblers.
    Also been listening a band called Hem. Their version of The Angels wanna wear my red shoes is awesome. 
    My show this week is a bit more folky and so have been listening to some different artists to normal such as Reg Meuross, Emily Barker, and Kev Russell's Junker!