Korg Volca Series

Hey guys

Thinking about moving into some electro/synth type directions, mainly just for messing around at home and maybe for accompanying/recording alongside my guitar. 

The Korg Volca series appeals on lots of levels and tbh the keys/bass/beats all appeal in slightly different ways. 

Anyone got one that they want to comment on, particularly for newbies? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 3660
    Mate, Im a newbie too in this field, and I tried the Volca.
    Feels a bit like a toy, but great value for money especially used...

My brief journey so far has taken me into more expensive (surprise surprise) territory, and I have settled on the following;

1.) Teenage Engineering OP-1
    A stunning and addictive and fun instrument. Truly portable with a HUGE battery life (months). Built like a tank

2.) Elektron Digitakt/Digitone
    If there is a sound in your head, its in one of these. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 5730
    I got the beats one from a raffle. It's neat but limited. Annoying is the small output jack. Honestly I'd go for a minibrute, korg monosynth or a behringer model D for not uch more.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 197
    I have the Volca Sample and it is awesome. Really simple to use even if (like me) you're new to the concept. Considering getting the FM next.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 5010
    Cheers guys. I think I'm going to hold off getting one just now but purely because I've spent an obscene amount on pedals recently. Will pick up a Beats later in the year I reckon. 

Cheers
  • mbembe Frets: 556
    My Keys and Bass are fab. I would like the FM but not too keen on the Beats. Discontinued Akai Tomcat is a good cheap alternative for analog drums.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 308
    I've just ordered the FM to go with the keys, beats and bass. Out of the three I've got I'm finding the bass most useful, particularly when using the keystep arp.

I'm struggling with the beats having no way to go between patterns automatically, so thinking of getting a controller to use with that. Any recommendations?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 5010
    I've just ordered the FM to go with the keys, beats and bass. Out of the three I've got I'm finding the bass most useful, particularly when using the keystep arp.

I'm struggling with the beats having no way to go between patterns automatically, so thinking of getting a controller to use with that. Any recommendations?

I have the same problem with the beats. There are lots of software options but I haven't tried any hardware sequencers.

One thing to consider is whether or not a Volca Sample would be a better choice. It has "song mode" which lets you chain multiple patterns. I'm probably going to get one, its only a matter of whether its an addition to or a replacement of my beats.

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 308
    @UnclePsychosis ; I still use mine as a complicated metronome, but would love something to help it be more than it is. Beatstep pro looks like it could do the business but need to explore it in person.

Just bought a pocket operator sampler for the ability to chain sections and the fact that I could then practice on the train and at lunch.